Dog's ear smells

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Dog's ear smells

My dogs got into a fight.  One got bit on the inside of the ear.  It wasn't too bad but I didn't see it right away.  I noticed it later when I went to rub the inside of his ear and felt the dried blood.  I cleaned it out with a soft tissue dipped in warm water.

Later in the day, I noticed the ear smelled really bad.  I bought some ear cleaner for dogs, pour it in his ear, gently massaging it, and then soaked it up with cotton balls.  I kept doing it until the cotton balls came up clean - no more dried blood.

The ear didn't smell as bad but it still smelled the next day.  I took him to a vet and they said his ear had a little waxy build up but was otherwise fine.  I forgot to ask, "What caused the ear to smell?"  Was it just the smell of dried blood?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dog's ear smells

Hey, DWL, good to see you.

Well, I know Gracie's ears tend to smell bad when I go too long between cleanings indicating to me that the waxy build up the vet mentioned might have been it.  Her ear wax just doesn't smell too good.  I have excellent results from the Tea Tree Oil ear cleaner from Only Natural Pet.  I LOVE it.  She hasn't had an ear infection in the year I've used it, and she had them often enough before that I got an extra Otomax antibiotic to have on hand for "next time," and I had been cleaning them regularly with what the vet had given me.

But, that being said, I'd think you'd have noticed the bad smell before the incident so it could have been the extra gunk in there - blood, wax, saliva from the other dog, and possibly a little infection you could have cleared up wiht diligent cleaning.

If it doesn't stink now, I'd not worry a bit.  However, I couldn't recommend that ear cleaner more highly.

Best to you, friend.

~kar

Tea Tree Oil ear cleaner

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Joel Kaye of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    Typically, a pet’s ear will bleed profusely when it is either cut or bitten. In many cases the blood will drip into the ear canal and then dry up. The dried blood can be difficult to reach and will cause an odor.

It may also be possible that the area was becoming infected when you first smelled the odor. It was smart of you to bring the dog in for a veterinarian to check for infection. It sounds as if the check up went well and infection is no longer a concern.

The diagnosis is also not too concerning since all ears will have a certain amount of waxy buildup.

For now it appears that you can leave the ear to finish healing if your dog is not bothered by the area that was bit. If he becomes agitated or shows concern for his ear you should seek the advice of your veterinarian again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DWL posted his concern over a week ago.  Your answer was exactly what I told him the day he posted.  Good thing I was right - I'm no vet.

I understand you can't be online constantly, dawn to dusk, every day.  But, 8 days later for a health concern doesn't seem timely enough to bother with.  Everyone would have to get an offline vet's opinion long before that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

One of my dogs ears always smells too, I am always trying to trick her and trying to get them clean she hates it so it's hard. She also has some big ears lol My other dog never had a smelly ear a day in his life.
    My vet said she has "yeasty" ears. It doesn't bother her at all but it bothers me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jharvey, the tea tree oil ear cleaner I gave the link to above should help clear up and prevent yeast infections.  There's enough actual tea tree oil to actually smell like it, and tto is a known remedy for yeast infections of all kinds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jharvey, I've also read that diets high in corn (dogs should have NONE) lead to yeast infections.

Check out a grain free food if you haven't already!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dolphin55. Show Dolphin55's posts

Dog Sings to a commercial

I have an akita and every time the commercial for need cash now with the opera singers comes on TV he gets up and sings like crazy he also mumbles along with this singing of his.  Would anyone know why he does this??  Does it hurt his ears?? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A dog doesn't sing along to indicate pain in the ears.  If he were having ear pain he'd shake his head involuntarily and paw at the affected ear.

I've heard of dogs who are interested in music; I don't think it means anything medical whatsoever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheap dog food has cheap fillers.  Fillers keep the dog from starving, but sugars (in any mammal's diet) like corn do feed yeast infections.  Literally.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VineyardinSummer. Show VineyardinSummer's posts

Dog Whimpers, Whines and Licks/Chews Paws

Hello,

Some times my dog will whimper and try to reach her hind legs to bite/chew/itch them.  If I try to touch the paws she yelps in pain.  She is clearly uncomforable.  Note that this problem existed before the snow so I don't belive it is soley the snow/ice melt salt.  Also note that it is not consistent, it comes and goes and sometimes seem more sever than others.

I have brought her to a vet for this a number of times but of course she is fine on those days.  They have told me to monitor it but where is comes and goes and seems to pass I am learly to contine to bring her in @ ~$200 a pop each time (also note that I just spent ~$500 to find out that she is hyper-thyroidic if that matters to this?

).  They have said it could be allergies, etc and gave me meditcated shampoo which I give her a bath in maybe every 3rd week.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that this is  not too serious a problem.  CUrrently I give her doggie pain pills when she is at her worst but don't want her to rely on that.

Any advice would be much appreciated

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tad7342. Show tad7342's posts

I heard giving a dog plain (no sugar at all) yogurt would also prevent yeast infection in the ears-has anyone tried that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mball. Show mball's posts

dog bites

I rescued a dog a year ago.  This parson terrior was abused by a man.  I can not have a man enter my home without holding her as she fights to get out of my arms.  Many of my son's (I have a grown son) friends have told me to put her down and they try to calm her and talk to her but she has nipped one friend twice.  What can I do to stop this? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

mball-

First, you need to get a kennel, or find a place in your home where you can secure her when strange men come to visit. This place should be warm and quiet.

Second, you need to find a good trainer that specializes in stopping aggression. Simply sedating her might help at first, but you don't want to have to keep her drugged all the time.

But I would strongly recommend you get a kennel and start crate-training her now. She'll learn to see the kennel as a safe place, and she'll be less anxious in there and less able to hurt others or herself. Stop trying to just hold her back on your own, you could get hurt or she could get hurt as a result.

My mother has a beagle mix who is also prone to nipping at men. My mother uses a combination of kenneling and anti-aggression training, and has started to see a real improvement.

If you cannot afford to hire a trainer, you should find a no-kill shelter in your area and talk to them. They mgiht be able to help you get help for your dog before it's too late.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Dog's ear smells:
    I heard giving a dog plain (no sugar at all) yogurt would also prevent yeast infection in the ears-has anyone tried that?
    Posted by tad7342

It could work in that the probiotics in yogurt would be the curative factor.  BUT, my aunt is a chiropractor and nutritionist, and she recommends taking powdered probiotics which contains TONS more bacteria than yogurt to be medicinal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dog Whimpers, Whines and Licks/Chews Paws

In Response to Dog Whimpers, Whines and Licks/Chews Paws:
    Hello, Some times my dog will whimper and try to reach her hind legs to bite/chew/itch them.  If I try to touch the paws she yelps in pain.
    Posted by VineyardinSummer

Her pads can be cracked and painful even in the non-snowy months.  Try massaging Bag Balm gently into the pads and the skin between her toes.  Our vet recommended BB when Gracie had cracked pads so I know it's safe and effective for that condition.  If that's not it, it can't hurt to apply, especially in the drying winter weather.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you want the probiotics in yogurt without the yogurt, try these.  It's what we gave Gracie to build up her immunity after being on antibiotics for a UTI:

Dog/Cat Probiotics

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

My uncle is a vet and gives his dogs cheese all the time. It's the dogs' favorite treat. Can't say I've ever seen him give them yogurt, though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I agree.  Gracie has gotten two low fat string cheese sticks per week since she was a pup.  No problems.  We've also given her unsweetened yogurt now and then.  She doesn't have an iron stomach, either.  The vet knows; she never told us to stop.

But, again, if it's for medicinal, probiotic purposes, actual probiotic capsules are best for man and beast no matter what the Activia ads claim.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I'll take my uncle's years of veterinary education and decades of experience over a random website. But thanks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll take my uncle's years of veterinary education and decades of experience over a random website. But thanks.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish

Yeah, me, too. 

Robingirl's perspective is usually the opposite of mine no matter what the topic; I don't think we could be more different. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

My dog's ear quit smelling.  Now if I can just get him to stop passing gas.  he's a master at crop dusting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My dog's ear quit smelling.  Now if I can just get him to stop passing gas.  he's a master at crop dusting.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Awesome, I'm glad it cleared up, DWL.

About the gas, Gracie had it bad until we switched her off chicken.  She's on Blue Buffalo's whitefish/oatmeal for large breeds, now, and NO GAS!  I guess she didn't digest the chicken too well, but the gas was the only symptom we noticed, oh, and her p00 itself stunk to the highest heavens - you could smell it from a mile away.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

DWL - I think it's a guessing game with the gas. It was apparently chicken with Gracie and with Bosco, it's anything bacon or bacon-flavored that seems to set him off. He also eats organic food - BJ's actually has their own brand with chicken, brown rice, spinach and blueberry (no corn or corn products) which is his favorite and there haven't been any of those side effects.

Glad his ear's cleaned up - Bosco's vet says floppy-eared dogs are prone to ear infections so I'm really careful about keeping his dry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

bigpuppy- I agree about gas. It's going to be different for each dog. Max has an itchy reaction to chicken, but it doesn't make him gassy. If he gets any cooked meat scraps (my mother spoils him when he visits) that gives him terrible gas! I assume from the oil or whatever it's been cooked in.

Here's a funny story- last time I went to visit my mom she tried feeding Max the raw diet she gives her dog, and he was totally disgusted by the cold, raw meat! He took a couple mouthfuls and made the same face a kid does when being forced to eat their vegetables. I wish I had it on video, the expression was priceless. He clearly did not care for the texture/flavor!

Sections
Shortcuts