Dog's ear smells

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Re: Dog's ear smells

Pink - that's a great story! It really is amazing the way they are able to let us know exactly how they feel (and also how we bend over backwards to accomodate them ...)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Dog's ear smells:
    [QUOTE]Pink - that's a great story! It really is amazing the way they are able to let us know exactly how they feel (and also how we bend over backwards to accomodate them ...)
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]

the best part is that he choked down two mouthfuls before he gave up on it! I'm sure because the other dog was eyeing it, and he was determined to eat his share, even if he couldn't stand it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog's ear smells : Kar: I left a message for you on your profile page.
    Posted by robingirl[/QUOTE]

Disagreement and different personalities and philosophies are the spice of the boards.  No disrespect intended.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've seen very humane/comfortable looking muzzles, too.  Petco used a fabric one on Gracie to cut her nails when I didn't have her proof of rabies vaccination.  She didn't seem to mind it one bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Here's a way of getting the rescued parson russle terrier socialized with males.

Skip a meal so that she's hungry.  Give a male a piece of food - left over beef or some other high value treat.  Have the guy sitting in a chair.  Walk the dog over to him and have him give the dog the treat without actually looking at the dog.  Do it over and over.  Add additional people into the mix.  The objective is to get the dog to go to the person for the treat on her own.

If she's too skittish for that, put her in a crate, and when she is calm, have men/boys toss high value treats to her.  Eventually, open the crate and let her approach the men/boys without them calling her.

Do this more and more with different people at different places.

The objective is to get the dog to associate men/boys with treats - good stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the "high value" treat designation, DWL.  Gracie's is cooked chicken liver, gizzards, or hearts.  She'll do back flips for 'em.   Sounds like a good rehab plan, too.  Have you done it yourself?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd strongly advise working with a trainer for this kind of aggression. My mother's beagle mix would freak if a man threw anything at her, food or not.
    Her trainer has started by having my mother give her high value treats that she never gets unless there's a man around. so far, it's begun to establish a subconcious connection and the dog is calmer around men, but she still  is startled and gets aggressive if they move quickly or try to touch her. she may graduate to having strange men give her treats at some point, but right now her fear/aggression is just too high.

Worse is that the dog's bad experience could have been that a man lured him/her using food and them hurt them. And some dogs aren't motivated by food. Some other dogs have food-related aggression, so tranining them with food won't work.

Since you don't know for sure, it's really best to work with a trainer, and keep her contained when men are around until then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lured with food then kicked across the room.  I just can't even think about it without choking up.  Those poor animals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Dog Bites

In Response to Dog Bites
     Great ideas,  I bet in combination with medication (if prescribed by vet)   a comfortable muzzle, maybe a crate and some  treats.................some time and a lot of patience it might work! 

Aggression is the #1 reason dogs are euthanized.

* Dogs can suffer from P.T.S.D.  just like people, that is why it is important to consider medication, as part of the training/treatment plan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

[QUOTE]DWL posted his concern over a week ago.  Your answer was exactly what I told him the day he posted.  Good thing I was right - I'm no vet. I understand you can't be online constantly, dawn to dusk, every day.  But, 8 days later for a health concern doesn't seem timely enough to bother with.  Everyone would have to get an offline vet's opinion long before that.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Hi Kar - I just wanted to clarify something. Boston.com's agreement with the Angell vets is that they'll choose one question to answer each week. They normally post their response on Wednesday or Thursday.  We appreciate that they do this for us for free.  They are not, unfortunately, on our forums daily to respond to posts.  That would be a wonderful resource to have, however. We'll put it on our wishlist for the future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, OK thanks.  I understand.  I suppose it's better than nothing, but usually people asking a vet something need to know sooner than Angell gets to us.  It's almost a case of "what's the point?" if people have to call their own vets, anyway, unless they hit the Angell Vet's lottery by asking their sick pet question on the day and at the time Angell Vets gets online every week AND their question is the chosen one.  Those parameters do not bode well for good odds for any particular vet question being answered in a timely, and therefore, helpful manner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I would hope that if someone's pet was in an urgent or emergency-type situation, that they would call their own vet as opposed to posting the question on a message board.

I think this board is meant to be more for those not-so-urgent questions, like the one about whether you can use cat flea meds on a dog. informational type stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

[QUOTE]I would hope that if someone's pet was in an urgent or emergency-type situation, that they would call their own vet as opposed to posting the question on a message board. I think this board is meant to be more for those not-so-urgent questions, like the one about whether you can use cat flea meds on a dog. informational type stuff.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]
    Exactly - thanks for saying it better than I did :) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd expect everyone has a vet they can call, too.  I've called mine with quetions like that, and they've been happy to help me.

I think Angell Vets is a great organization and I appreciate all they are doing even answering one question here a week.  I was just wondering why they'd wait so long to answer medical questions which seemed to need a more timely answer - now I know the deal. 

Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I've kind of used the rehab plan.  I've participated in using it with other dogs.

The trainer I use always has a rescue dog around.  She rehabs it and then gets it adopted with the only stipulation being that the people adopting the dog participate in a 7 class obedience program - to teach them what the dog already knows.

Anyway, she got one dog that was real shy.  Initially, she had people walk up to the dog's crate and toss in a treat.  Eventually, she would put the dog on leash and walk it over to people and had the person give the dog a treat without making eye contact.  She worked up to walking the dog over to without the leash and now she just lets the dog out and the dog goes to people who feed her treats.  She still doesn't like getting picked up, but she'll run to people when called.  It took a while but it's only time.

The trainer kept this dog - it was a cute little mutt.  I've seen her do it with other dogs as well.

I think the biggest problem with shy dogs is that their owner might coddle it when it's shy.  This actually reinforces the shyness.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My dogs got into a fight.  One got bit on the inside of the ear.  It wasn't too bad but I didn't see it right away.  I noticed it later when I went to rub the inside of his ear and felt the dried blood.  I cleaned it out with a soft tissue dipped in warm water.

Later in the day, I noticed the ear smelled really bad.  I bought some ear cleaner for dogs, pour it in his ear, gently massaging it, and then soaked it up with cotton balls.  I kept doing it until the cotton balls came up clean - no more dried blood.

The ear didn't smell as bad but it still smelled the next day.  I took him to a vet and they said his ear had a little waxy build up but was otherwise fine.  I forgot to ask, "What caused the ear to smell?"  Was it just the smell of dried blood?

[/QUOTE]

Thought of your post today,  I recently had an expensive trip to the vet due to an ear yeast infection in my poodle-mix, certain breeds are prone to this.  See my latest post regarding home remedies. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

BTW:  Regarding treatment of yeast infections (canine ear)  the prescription stuff Tresaderm drops works like a charm, immediate results!   Ask for the big bottle,  so you have a little left over...just in case.