Exercise/rehab guidelines for post-TPLO dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exercise/rehab guidelines for post-TPLO dog

Greetings, Angell Vets,

I've looked high and low online, I've asked my vet, and I still feel I don't know what to do.  I'm hoping you can help with a week by week (up to week 12, then monthly) rehab guide for TPLO surgery.  I found out from my crucitae ligament tear thread as well as talking with people in my area that MANY people go through with their dogs this so I'm sure it will be useful for more than just me and Gracie.  TIA!!

What I'm looking for is something like this (of course, the "guidance" is an example I made up):

Weeks 1 - 4, absolutely no activity other than walking around the house and leashed bathroom activity.  Place rugs on slippey floors to prevent a sliding out of the TPLO leg.

Week 5, still absolutely no xzy activities.  Start with 5 minutes of abc activity and build to Y minutes by the end of the week if the dog doesn't show signs of regression.  Start allowing stairs.  Remove extra rugs.

Week 6, continue to prevent xyz activities.  Add [this] for approximately this duration and additional duration per day for the week.  Start allowing jumping in and out of the car if no higher than X feet.

Week 7
    Week 8
    Week 9
    Week 10
    Week 11
    Week 12
    Month 4
    Month 5
    Month 6 - all activity allowed, including but not limited to playing hard with other dogs, long walks/hikes in the woods/mountain trails, etc.

I'm very frustrated with trying to figure this out on my own, and afraid of both underworking and overworking her.  Gracie's TPLO leg is still weak from atrophe, and I don't know what is safe to do about it.  Thanks for your attention to this matter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: Exercise/rehab guidelines for post-TPLO dog

Such a great idea for this!  I have NO IDEAS except can she go swimming anywhere?  And I mean for 5 minutes the first time, building up to 10 minutes in a few weeks? (or something that doesn't tax her too much).  Because swimming is a lower-impact activity and she is a lab and MUST love swimming.

the only thing is, a beach wouldn't work because she'd spend more time walking/running out to get in high enough to need to swim.

You need Cesar Milan's therapeutic swimming pool!

Can your vet tell you anywhere that would allow this?  Probably not.  Perhaps your husband can build a swimming pool for Gracie in his free time, now that the crate is built?  :)

I will ask our vet this Thursday to see if he has any suggestions - I'm sure he's done these surgeries 1000 times....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you so much, CT-DC, so thoughtful of you.  We have been taking her swimming (and even got her a life jacket to help despite her being a good, happy swimmer), and it seems to help a lot as long as we can go somewhere where she doesn't do more damage at the shore than good in the water.  YES, we need a therapy pool, for sure.  That's the real ticket.  Anyway, I found one on the North Shore, but that's a 2 hour drive for us, not feasible, unfortunately.  I searched for one in our area, no dice.

Gracie has her regular vet appointment (heart worm test and boosters) tomorrow, and I'll see what I can find out there.  I wish Angell Vet's would respond.  I know it would help so many people given how many folks said, "Oh, we had that done for our dog!" when I brought up Gracie's surgery.

Thanks, again!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Hi Kar -

I know there is a FlowDog in Waltham MA where I live that does water therapy for dogs but I found this website which has a listing of places that does canine water therapy. Hopefully one is a closer trip for you than 2 hours:

http://landofpuregold.com/challenge-physical.htm#MASSACHUSETTS

Hope everything is going well with you and Gracie otherwise!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, BP!  Waltham is an hour and a half away...better, but still not viable for regular therapy.  There's just not much of anything out our way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But, Natick is only an hour.  Hm, maybe I'll call that one and see how much they charge for water therapy sessions - that one has an underwater treadmill.

ETA:  Just emailed them to find out.  Thanks, again, for the link, BP!  Hugs to Bosco.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Um, yeah, not gonna happen.  $90 for first appointment and $64 per after that for 3 months?  Even for just 2 appointments per week to strengthen her leg, that's over $1500.  

Oh, well.  We'll have to continue to do poor man's therapy with the yacht on the pond. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Wow, I thought it might be pricey, but not quite that much. Good luck with the recovery - do any friends have an in-ground pool you could grab a half-hour in with her?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I'd hestitate to ask because she's prone to pee in the water - it's first thing she does in the pond.  I don't suppose they sell doggie swim diapers...LOL!  

Yeah, I had no idea it would be $1500 - $2000 for 3 months of using their treadmill.  Oh, well, thanks for the link anyway; it's better to know!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

oh, too funny - just picturing that makes me laugh. oh well, better that you know her tendencies before she got in a pool than after! perhaps the angell vet will finally answer your query with some helpful suggestions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish they would, too.  I talked to my vet, and the nurse at the hospital today, and got very limited answers that still have me guessing, and I could really use that schedule of dos and don'ts by week/month.

Angell Vets - we're 13 weeks post surgery, and I know Buster, Princess-cal's boxer, is about 2 weeks behind Gracie on the same surgery.  There will be others who follow.  I hope you'll consider answering this apparently unanswerable question.

Thanks,
    ~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is this on AV's radar?  Is the radar on?

We're still struggling with this, and have 2 1/2 more months of grey area, with the intense healing behind her, but her not being at 100%.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar,

This was posted in response to Robin's inquiry.

Sorry, doglady – I thought I had answered you! I’ve been without a Pets producer for a few months. I just hired a new producer for Moms and Pets and she starts Tuesday, Sept. 6. In the meantime, the PR person for Angell who handled the vet questions for me also changed jobs, and the new person and I haven’t connected yet to get the feature up and running again. Will do so soon.

Thanks,

Teresa                                                                                                              [message  recieved from BDC in response to an inquiry].

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ambergirl (and dog-lady for keeping up with the issue)!  Looks like by the time they are back it won't help me and Gracie, but I hope they answer it eventually given how many people said their dogs have gone though this when I first posted about Gracie's impending surgery.  It must be a very common thing, and there is NOTHING out there online that answers my question.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hopefully whoever starts next week, will answer these questions right away.  Give Gracie hug { }

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will do, thanks, ambergirl!  You know, Gracie is a born hugger?  Dogs aren't supposed to like arms around their necks, but she actually puts her front legs around our necks in a full body hug.  We didn't teach her, either.  Funny, huh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I believe it for sure!  I had Tigger do that remember?  It is so heartwarming when they do it because it is so not expected : )  and yet, Amber is not a kisser.  Has never licked anyone in her life.  Go figure!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She's not a kisser?  Funny!  Gracie will drown you if you lie down on the floor...and step on you, but that's an accident. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Kar, coming to this late, but what if you found a cheap jacuzzi/hot tub on craigslist (just looked and found this: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/hab/2566696962.html. I know, not the greatest image...but...) and tried hydrotherapy with Gracie on your own?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

kinga, so nice of you to find that, thanks!  I think if we were earlier in our process we'd have been all over that.  It really would have helped prevent the stiffness she woke up with every morning, but unfortunately it didn't dawn on me.  Great idea!!  I think we're building up quite a TPLO surgery recovery resource here. Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, did your vet or the surgeon's office give any guidelines at all?  Everything I have seen online goes up to 12 weeks.  Maybe after that she is supposed to ease her way back into normal activity as she can handle it?  Every dog is going to recover differently, so maybe the 12 week guidleines are to get them past the most crucial points so as not to disturb the surgery?  Just a thought. 

I know you are fearful of re-injury, but things will have to go back to normal at some point.  Probably not the best analogy, but remember what it was like when they said to keep her "quiet" after the spay?  And then when she starting running/playing/not being quiet?  I'm sure you worried, but as she played more and was fine, you worried less and after awhile it didn't cross your mind anymore?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The 3rd to the 6th month is a nebulous, "Build up her leg, but don't let her jump or torque it."  There's NO guidance on how to build it up (a schedule like a Shape magazine 4-week workout plan).  No off-leash walks (why?).  No fetch (because she stops and turns).  No jumping from high places, but the vet caved on that one since we have 3 - 4 foot rock walls and she agreed it wasn't worth keeping her tethered to avoid her jumping once or twice a day.

I just want a therapy schedule of activities to build up the leg without causing soft tissue injury (her bone is healed) by overworking it.  We've been told by the vet that if we cause soft tissue damage during this time she might suffer permanent damage, and we want guidance to give her the best chance of having a 100% recovery.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

http://tplosurgery.com/the-rehab-protocol/

You've probably come across this site, but they have a home rehab guide you can download (not sure if they charge).  They also have a list of exercises thru 12 weeks, but maybeyou can continue those to keep building muscle...

I hope I didn't offend you with my earlier post. 

Could your vet refer you to PT?  Even just for a couple of sessions to get the exercise regimen?  I think Buster went for post-op PT, right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Offend me?  Not a chance, but thanks for asking. :)

I'll take a look at the link, thanks.  I think we're at our spending max $$ on this so whatever I can learn to do myself to safely build her muscles in that leg I'll do and hope for the best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kargiver,
    I didn't get to the vet, my husband went, but I'll try to email them and see if they'll respond.

My thinking is no off-leash walks because you can't control dogs if they DO leap and bound about.  What if you increased your walks from around the block to 1/3 a mile, then 1 mile, then 1.5 miles, then 2 miles....  in slow increments, but keeping it walking (vs. running) and making sure she's going straight ahead (vs. fetching which calls for stops and starts.)

I don't know how far she can go now, but I'd think you'd do that, then add more distance each week by 1/4 or 1/2 of the distance she can go currently?  (did that make sense?)