Feline GI Issues/ IBS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Feline GI Issues/ IBS

My 3 1/2 year old cat has been having puking/diarrhea issues. When they seemed to be more frequent, I took him to the vet for blood work and fecal test around the end of September. Both tests came back normal and the vet chalked up his issues to a possible food allergy and gave me Hill's feline I/D dry and canned cat food. The cat acts normal all the time: has an appetite, drinks regularly, plays/has energy.

The bland diet seemed to work, however I was bothered by the quality of the Hill's food: I didn't like the corn and gluten fillers and byproducts. I knew I eventually wanted to transfer him over to a grain free diet. I tried giving him small amounts of canned grain free food (while still feeding him the majority of the dry feline I/D). He liked it and everything seemed ok for a few days and then he might have a vomiting fit for 24 hours or diarrhea. Then as quick as it comes on, it goes away and he'd be back to normal on the feline I/D. Still with an appetite.

This cycle has been repeating itself every 4 or 5 days. I don't know what's left to do. I'm sure my trying to feed him the grain free food upset his system again. I plan on taking him back to the vet this week asap, but I want to know what I should be asking for, if its possible to get a better quality "bland" diet he could eat. Or even if there anti-diarrhea medicine for cats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MandaNeuro. Show MandaNeuro's posts

Re: Feline GI Issues/ IBS

In Response to Feline GI Issues/ IBS:
    Have you tried a Limited Ingredient grain free diet--like Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea or Venison and Green Pea. These have very few ingredients and sometimes help with IBS issues. Also--make sure you change food (especially dry) veeery slowly over the course of a week or two. Sometimes just the abrupt change can cause some stomach upset. My cat had a similar issue with vomitting and diarhea and was in the hospital for a while at a very young age. I went thru the same thing you did--used the Hill's for a month or so, then realized I wanted something healthier and grain free. We switched over the dry first (to Natural balance duck and green pea) over 2 weeks and then started giving the new wet food little by little (all the LID Natural balance wets). Now he eats a variety of grain free products and is doing just fine months later.

I hope you find a diet that works for your kitty! Best of luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with MN.  There are many grain-free diets out there, and if the one you tried didn't work, give the fewer ingredient ones a try next.  You're right to be concerned about the corn and other fillers.  Given how healthy he seems otherwise, the fact that the tests came back negative, and that the symptoms clearly come and go with the change in diet, I'd just keep trying higher quality, grain-free, diets 'til you find one that suits your cat.  We had to do the same thing with our dog; she didn't tolerate everything even though it was filler-free (she was allergic to duck; it made her feet itch, and she doesn't digest chicken well; it made her p00 stink to the high heavens and gave her gas).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Thanks for your info!

I did take him to the vet yesterday and we gave him some de-worming medicine to really rule out parasites (apparently, a stool test could come back normal if the parasite(s) aren't shedding at that time period or something). If that doesn't work in about 5 - 7 days, I can follow up and under the vet, we can start adjusting his diet to see if he has a food intolerance/allergy. Hopefully its that or worms...I don't want to think about the diagnostic stuff that comes after that if it fails...

Eventually, I'll get him eating a better quality food.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's the food if you've seen the problem appear and disappear concurrent with the food changes, but it's good to get parasites ruled out.  I have a lot of hope from what you've described that you'll find a food that works for him and he'll be well.  Let us know after the deworming stuff is finished.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MandaNeuro. Show MandaNeuro's posts

When my cat was going thru the issues I talked about above they did de-worm him just in case too, so maybe that will help. The diarrhea may get worse for a few days while he is on the de-worm meds. I just wanted to warn you in case you are like...oh no kitty! haha. My poor cat was crying in the litterbox. It was the saddest thing, but only lasted a day or two.  Make sure he drinks plenty of water so he doesn't get dehydrated. Let us know how it goes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Well, you might be interested to know that my cat tested positive for Giardia! Since he just had the other de-worming medication, I'm going to start the Giardia treatment on Friday. As unpleasant as that is, I'm very happy to have a diagnosis!

Sections
Shortcuts