Follow-up Question for Angellvets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Follow-up Question for Angellvets

Response to Re: Urinary Tract Infection symptoms in cats and dogs Question for Angellvets:

Hello Dog Lady, Symptoms of urinary tract infection can include straining to urinate, increased frequency of urination, blood in urine and even sometimes lethargy and lack of appetite. It is also important to have your pets urine checked as there are other causes of these signs including crystals or stones in the bladder, bladder wall malformations as well as tumors. It is always a good idea to get a urine culture to know exactly what bacteria we are dealing with as well as which antibiotic is the best choice. It appears as though the antibiotics are working in your case, which is great news, but I wanted to lay out for you and others a more complete set of diagnostic tests that should be done if your dog's condition recurs. Best to you, Joel Kaye, DVM, Angell Animal Medical Center
    Posted by AngellVet

I hate to admit it but you were right, he has bladder stones and needs emergency surgery,  vets should take the time to explain why lab work and x-rays are crucial in diagnosing problems, because I would have had them done two months ago if I understood the importance. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Follow-up Question for Angellvets

Turns out he has both type of stones, calcium oxalate and struvite, will have to be on a special diet, routine urine tests, occasional x-rays etc.  Just ordered potassium citrate online, supposed to keep the calcium stones from forming...just wondering do the Angellvets see any cons to this?     ( I heard 50% of dogs that have stones get them again after surgery)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

doglady, sorry your little guy is going through this and you with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

BTW:  dogs that are forced to "hold it" and not given  adequate water to drink throughout the day are more likely to develop stones.   Although it tends to be more common in certain breeds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

holding it too long and not getting enough water causes UTIs, too, especially for the females.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Potassium Citrate Plus Cranberry, 100 Chewable Tablets (canine)       Found this item on Amazon    Easier to use than the granules,   I'll let you know what products help, in case anyone else is going through this with their pet.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have no advice to give you but my dog is not doing well either. I extend my hand as a gesture of goodwill since I can relate. Hoping your furbaby gets better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks DL. The seizures are new. She is on the same med. I feel blessed to have had her this long. The seizures are not something she remembers but they scare the bejesus out of me. Will never get used to them. I hope your dog gets better and he is in good hands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My vet said the same thing and I find it to be true. I held her today until it was over and she was confused. You are right about the sleeping. She is still sleeping but coming awake once in a while. Love the song reference : )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So happy to hear your guy perked up.  Amber did well the rest of the night and seemed ok this morning.  Great idea with the webcam.  I am going to look into that. Thanks!