Fur ripped out, will it grow back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fur ripped out, will it grow back?

This happened to Gracie in her walk in the woods.  DH believes she must have rammed into a stick on the forest floor.  She runs like the wind through thick brush.  It's bound to happen, thank God it wasn't her EYE.

So, will it scar over and be bald forever, or do you think the hair will grow back?  It didn't break the skin, just was all raw from where the hair was ripped out.  It's healing over, now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Fur ripped out, will it grow back?

it depends. she's still young and there's a good chance it won't be a scar. I'd clean it and put vaseline on it twice a day and make sure she doesn't rub it too much.

Poor Gracie! that must have hurt!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She doesn't ever touch it and didn't seem phased, actually.  She didn't even yelp when it happened; DH noticed it when they got in the truck to go home.  Same with the gash on her ear she got last year on barbed wire.  She seemed to have no idea she got hurt.  Do you still recommend vaseline?  I'm wondering if that might cause her to touch it since she's totally ignoring it now, and vaseline on her foot pads drives her nuts.

Honestly, the one who seems to have gotten the most hurt by it was my DH who lost a little color in his face every time he looked at it.  He almost never comments that he thinks he might throw up!

Thanks, as always, Pink!

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

i'm thinking the hair will grow back - emma had a terrible hot spot one summer and lost lots of hair that people said wouldn't grow back but it did -- hard to tell, but is it all sore and ozzy?  if so i would put on some calendular gel on it -- its made of marigolds and has quick healing properties - you can get it at whole foods or a vitamin store -- its nice to have around for all your little scrapes

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, lukes!  No, it's not weeping or anything.  Seems clean and comfortable for her if her total ignoring of it is any indication!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

hmmm... if you think the vaseline might make her rub at it, maybe you're better off leaving it as it is. I'm thinking it should grow back, it's probably just going to be a few weeks- like a bad waxing job!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I didn't think of it like that - I've over waxed...it's always grown back!  OK, now I feel better.  Not that we wouldn't love her just as much with a bald spot on her face, but the Christmas card photo would always have to be taken from her "good side," LOL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Fur ripped out, will it grow back?:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I didn't think of it like that - I've over waxed...it's always grown back!  OK, now I feel better.  Not that we wouldn't love her just as much with a bald spot on her face, but the Christmas card photo would always have to be taken from her "good side," LOL.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Oh, poor Gracie - but I'll bet DH is giving her extra treats :)

When I first used the gentle leader harness on Bosco, it rubbed a spot on his leg raw (it didn't stop his pulling at all - nothing stops that dog) in just one walk. I was worried about that not growing back, but it was back in about 2 weeks. My guess is that it will be the same for Gracie.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it doesn't seem to be bothering her. You can always give your vet a quick call to see if he/she recommends an ointment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, poor Bosco!  I can see why you didn't notice on the walk if he didn't stop pulling, but you must have felt so bad!  Yeah, DH is giving her treats, but he spoils her all the time so it's hard to tell the difference.

I'll post another photo in two weeks.  I'm sure we'll at least see a little growth by then from your comments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

My puppy had the same problem a few months back (black lab/italian greyhound mix) and her spot slowly grew hair back. You can notice it only slightly in certain light. It was right below her eye, just like Gracie's. It may take a few months to heal completely, but it will grow back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

kinga, thanks for letting me know.  I'm glad your dog's spot is healing and the fur growing back.  It's scary when it's right next to an eye.

Sections
Shortcuts