Good bird for family

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ca-expat. Show ca-expat's posts

Good bird for family

I've been thinking about adopting a bird.  I've settled on a Moluccan Cockatoo, but my wife is staunchly against this idea.  What can I do to convince her?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Re: Good bird for family

Answer by Dr. Connie Orcutt of Angell Animal Medical Center's Avian/Exotic Service:
    Adopting a bird is a serious undertaking, particularly with regard to large parrots including Moluccan cockatoos. These birds can live to 60 years or even older, so you need to be prepared for that responsibility. 

The natural behavior and habits of birds need to be taken into account as well. Birds are not considered to be domesticated animals like dogs and cats. Large parrots are naturally very vocal and need a lot of social interaction. Moluccan cockatoos in particular can be very loud, need a lot of activity and interaction with their family members, and love to chew. If left unsupervised out of the cage, they can be quite destructive in their home environments. However, if kept caged for long periods, their behavior can be adversely affected; they become more vocal and can even turn their destruction against themselves, resulting in feather picking and self-induced wounds.  

It is always a good idea to research the needs of animals prior to adopting, and this is especially true of birds. Most of the birds surrendered to shelters are there because people were not aware of how much care and special attention they need. This is especially true of large parrots, and many cockatoos, in particular, have been surrendered for this reason. 

If you are interested in a bird and have not had one before, it is best to start with a smaller species. Budgies, lovebirds, cockatiels, and other small birds make affectionate and engaging pets. They are not as loud and can be kept stimulated and active in large cage environments when you are not home to let them come out of the cage with you. Only if you are a veteran bird owner and well aware of what you are getting into should you consider a bird like a cockatoo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

also remember that birds like to wake up very early in the morning.

if your wife doesn't want a bird, you either have to do your research and commit to taking care of the bird entirely by yourself, or just forget about getting a bird.
    ask your wife why she doesn't want a bird, then ask yourself if any of her reasons are true. ask yourself why you want a bird, then ask yourself if you want one badly enough to risk your marriage.
    consider compromise. ask your wife if maybe a parakeet or some finches would be okay, as they are a little easier to take care of.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't ask me - my DH had a parakeet when we met so I'm stuck with the thing, but I HATE having a bird.  They are loud and messy, and hardly nice companions.  This bird ruins every morning with her screeching (yes, we cover her to minimize it).  In the Summer, we can hang her cage outside, but when it's too cold, I'm stuck with the screeching.  I'm counting down the years 'til her natural death and, in the meantime, begrudgingly feeding, watering, and cleaning her cage.  I hate her and have for the 3 years I've found out he had a bird.

She'll not be persuaded, and you'll be stuck with a wife who hates your bird and resents you for getting one.  Cockatoos live longer than parakeets...I'd be so sad if I had even LONGER than approximately 9 years to go 'til it dies.  I have a good mind to turn her over to our bird dog and let nature take its course, but I won't.

P.S.  No offense to the bird lovers out there, I just wanted to be perfectly clear for the sake of the OP that his wife will not be persuaded if she is staunchly against it.  I hope my frankness will encourage his leaving this very bad idea in the dust and be thankful he asked before he made a big  mistake.  Even if he commits to taking care of it, the NOISE and the MESS is something everyone in the house has to deal with on a constant basis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

birds can be very nice companions, if you're looking for a bird companion, but I think Kar perfectly illustrates that some people are just not bird people. Just like some people aren't cat people or dog people. They're not going to like the animal no matter what. Especially an animal that can never be "potty-trained" and can be very, very loud.
    I'm not a morning person, so as much as I do like birds, I couldn't deal with the early-morning noise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I know you have mentioned this bird several times. You are so honest about it. And truly, I do feel for you. I hope your post will lead the OP in the right direction. Why is it, I somehow think this post was a troll?

But this is for the non-trolls. One of our nephews acquired an Amazon Parakeet, while still staying at home. But the caretaker of the bird was mostly his mother. DH and I were not so thrilled to go visiting them during that time. The squawking and screeching was ear deafening. The bird wanted to be, where we were. They would stop it by bringing the bird to the dining table on a perch. The bird was happy, we were not. How do you like bird sh*t in your food? Not me.
    Then our nephew found a beautiful girl and married her. His new wife told him, "Under no circumstances are you bringing this bird into our home". So, the bird stayed with my SIL. Then SIL had to travel and nephew had to bring home the bird. Cage and all.
    SIL told him, we don't want the bird back - it is your bird, you take care of it.
    3 months later, we learned our nephew found it dead in it's cage one morning.

We will never know, what happened to the bird, but we are all delighted it is not around any longer. - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Has there been a decision?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi everyone.

Excellent advice here.   Where is the OP?  

I'm chiming in b/c my family had a parakeet when I was growing up and I thought I'd briefly share how it was with us as a family. 

Very similar to other stories here ... my father LOVED the parakeet and the parakeet loved him.    Our bird really only hung out with my Dad when he was out of his cage, and by that I mean either perched on his hand / finger, sat on his shoulder, or sat on his head!!    My father loved birds anyhow (in the wild),  so he just loved our parakeet, too, which was no surprise.

My mother ... not so much!   She didn't hate him, but he used to totally make her crack b/c when he was let out of his cage, he would hang on the curtains!    And he dropped ... (so while I am laughing right now b/c as a kid, this was very funny), so my mother used to have quite a few words to say about our parakeet!

We never let him out of his cage unless my Dad was home, b/c he was the only person who could get our bird to go back into his cage.  

Cleaning the cage was very easy b/c you can just slide the bottom out and put a fresh liner in.   So even I cleaned the cage.    I used to LOVE giving him those bird seed "logs" that you hang in the cage and watching him eat the seeds!   He had toys and all of the recommended amusements, too. 

And I have to say, I really do not remember him making a lot of noise!   He was a very sweet and quiet bird somehow.   He didn't cause any disruption in that way.  Maybe that's why he really was easy to take care of for a family, I don't know.  

Kar, our parakeet lived to be around 6, maybe 7 years old, he didn't make it to 9.   He got sick and Dad took him to the vet ... we were all sad, quite honestly.  I never would have believed he lasted that long, but he did.   He really was part of our family and I think that memory is different from having a parakeet in your adult life.

And Pingo, that story was incredible.  Who allows a bird on the dining table while you are serving food??   It takes all kinds!!   Smile

Again, fabulous advice here.   Anyone who is considering a bird as a pet will benefit from this thread. 

(Would love to hear from the OP about a decision, too.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thisisfoolish. Show thisisfoolish's posts

We have had had a goffins cockatoo for 12 years.  Not easy.  All they say is true: messy, noisy, early morning issues, very complicated diet, pick the heck out of themselves, etc. etc. etc. One other thing:  you can't go away for a weekend without finding and paying for someone to come in and look after it.  Other than that its great.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I just saw your story - how did I miss it?  YUCK, a bird at the TABLE?!  And, dead 3 months later...it must have gotten a disease. ;)

DH almost let Gracie in while the bird was p00ping around the house.  I actually WANT the bird dead, and I stopped him simply because if Gracie killed the bird DH would be furious at her not understanding that a bird dog's instinct is what it is.  He thinks Gracie will magically see the bird as part of our pack.

I don't think it was a troll - some people don't feel the need to check back in especially if they didn't hear what they were hoping to hear.  He might have ASKED for "advice," but what he probably wanted was, "Oh, your wife will get used to the bird and come to love it.  Go ahead and get it - it will be GREAT!  Birds are the best pets EVER!!!!!!!" 

So, no response to what we said instead.  Hopefully, even if he never responds he'll at least take what we said to heart and save his family a lot of stress by forgetting he ever had this idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgbbff. Show rgbbff's posts

I adopted a Moluccan after owning smaller birds and learned the hard way. They are a high maintenance bird and cannot be out of their cage unsupervised as they will chew and destroy your home. My Moluccan is not suitable around children or the elderly since he can be aggressive and bite.  But I love him dearly and will never part with him. I've had him now for 10 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChristieY. Show ChristieY's posts

My parents bought me an African Grey parrot when I was young, thinking that a bird in a cage would be an easy pet to take care of (easier than a dog, which I had been begging for for years).  Now, I love her to death but my entire family hates her.  She is loud, messy and aggresive.  I am out of the house for 12 hours a day, sometimes more, and nobody in the family wants to give her the attention that she needs when I'm gone because they don't like her.  I feel miserable because I don't have the time to be with her, and because she is a wild animal being kept in a cage, bored to death all day.  I know that I need to give her up for adoption and it absolutely kills me inside.  This is an awful, wretched feeling to have, please spare yourself the pain. 

I agree with the other posters, it will be hard to win your wife over and she will probably end up resenting the bird, causing a lot of pain.  Can you compromise?  Getting a bird like a cockatiel or a budgie will be a lot easier than a bigger parrot.  They are very cute, can learn to whistle songs and some can even speak, they have shorter life spans and are smaller so have less mess.  They still requrie a lot of time though, but not as much as a bigger parrot would.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bimmergal. Show bimmergal's posts

I have 3 birds and will never give them up. The parrot, a Sengal named Bobo (he's on the WCVB pet web site) is a great companion, very funny and loves to snuggle. The 20 year old cockatiel is enjoying a comfortable retirement and the parrot is her friend. My canary sings and is very sweet. I would never date or marry anyone who couldn't like my pets. I clip nails & wings and do board birds in my home. Sure they are messy but don't need to be walked( or have their feces picke up or have a smelly litter box changed and don't need diapers changed-ugh! I'd have more if the house was larger or I could afford them, but they are expensive to purchase & maintain. It saddens me to see people posting who are waiting for a bird to die.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

I have a moluccan.  High maintenance and when they say velcro they mean it.  She likes to be with you at all times.    She's sooooo noisy - she screams sometimes and my neighbors asked if I have children! If I were you I would go for an African Grey.  They speak well and they don't usually scream!  As long as you have loads of time for a moluccan you will be fine, if not - don't do it.  A smaller bird that you will handle often that might be good for you is a Nanday or Sun Conure.  

Good luck! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is the OP even reading this?!  What gives?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sapphira. Show Sapphira's posts

I grew up with a budgie, and got one myself when I moved out.  If you want a bird, budgies are really good as first birds.  They're small and easy to take care of.

I work full-time, and my bird lives in my bedroom, so he has very little interaction with anyone except me.  But he seems okay; I leave a light on for him in the winter, so he's not left in the dark before I get home, and I turn on the radio for company.  He plays with toys and hangs out while I work and comes out when I get home.  I change his water every day, his food every other day, and his cage lining maybe once a week.  The area around his cage gets messy, especially when he molts, but it's easy to vacuum.  Droppings are extremely easy to clean up.  He only had to go to the vet once, when I noticed his preen gland was bleeding slightly (he bit himself--oops).

He's relatively quiet, although he was louder when I had a boyfriend and was out a lot more (he wanted more attention).  If he screeches or bites, his punishment is that he goes back in the cage and I cover him up.  Otherwise, he either naps, preens, or talks and sings while playing with toys.  I don't think he's a huge commitment; right now I'm apparently amusing him and playing with him by letting him perch on the screen of my laptop.

If your wife doesn't want a bird at all, don't get one.  But if she agrees to get one because you want one so badly, do NOT get a large parrot.  Get a budgie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I originally skipped this thread because I am not a bird person at all.  But Kar and Pingo - your posts ring so true.  DH had a pet bird when we met and I hated that thing.  Even through the phone I would hear it squack and screech. I always made him lkeep it in the cage when I visited.  It passed away prior to our engagement, so fortunatley we sidestepped the "that thing is not moving in with us" discussion.  He still thinks I killed it (not literally, of course) with my contempt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder if the OP even gives a bird p00. 

Nov, so happy for you it died.  DH bought his parakeet only a year before we met.  Sigh.