how do you get guinea pigs out of depression?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: how do you get guinea pigs out of depression?

Sorry for your loss, earl.  I don't know the answer, but I found this website (credentials?) that has a section on death and companions in their expository on the social life of guinea pigs.

Guinea Pigs Social Life

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I once had two guines pigs and one fell ill and died. The other was depressed for a little while, but we gave her attention, treats and some stuff to play with in her cage (cardboard tubes with carrots stuck in them, tissues boxes with cherry tmatoes inside). sometimes they miss the stimulation they got fromt he other animal, so it helps to make sure they don't get too bored.
    consequently, that guinea pig lived for a long time. she was 10 years old when she died!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Jennifer Graham of Angell Animal Medical Center's Avian and Exotic Medicine Service:
    My heart goes out to you after having lost two pets recently while helping another to cope with these losses.

First and foremost, it is important to understand why your guinea pigs recently passed away. For the immediate safety of your female guinea pig, you should ensure that she is not sick or at risk of becoming ill (i.e. through infection such as bacterial disease). I recommend that you bring your female guinea pig to a veterinarian to have her examined to make sure that she is healthy. As guinea pigs can be prone to dental disease it is advisable to have a thorough oral exam performed to make sure she has no sign of tooth problems.

You may also wish to revisit her diet to ensure that she is eating well. Guinea pigs should generally be provided with fresh water changed daily, high quality grass hay free choice (not alfalfa), and timothy based pellets supplemented with vitamin C. There should be no seeds and minimal fruit/treats in your guinea pig’s diet. Also, provide vegetables daily including those with high vitamin C content such as red peppers (or provide a vitamin C supplement).

If the female guinea pig receives a clean bill of health then a companion may be advisable. (There are many adoption centers, including the MSPCA’s, which have homeless guinea pigs searching for a forever home.) It is important that if the new companion is a male that he is neutered to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

As with many introductions involving new pets please go slowly. You want to monitor their behavior and make sure that they get along. You may want to place them in pens next to each other so that they can become accustomed to their scents and general presence before placing them together.

As you and your guinea pig move through this process, you have already introduced the most important treatment – spending time together to help her move forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from alisaviking. Show alisaviking's posts

I just got a famale guinea pig in May and she was very happy and always squuking but the last few days, she has been hiding and quiet.  The only thing I chanced was the hay, she seems to be eating and drinking ok.  What can I do to get her back to her normal happy little pig?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nosix123. Show Nosix123's posts

In Response to Re: how do you get guinea pigs out of depression?:
    [QUOTE]  The only thing I chanced was the hay,[/QUOTE]

Hay is very important.... If it looks like straw, try to find what you had before or another source that is real timothy hay. Try that and love. Plus our pigs were very sensitive to some noises... especially loud voices. They are animals who enjoy social interaction so give 'em love. Good Wishes to you and your little pig.