Is there such a thing as feline "spite" peeing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Is there such a thing as feline "spite" peeing?

I know our dog peed out of anger once...sounds like she's trying to and succeeding at making a statement and doesn't have a medical problem.  Although, not that it's a bad thing to see the vet - maybe the vet will know what to do about it, anyway.

GL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from petlove6. Show petlove6's posts

I would say no.  I have a cat, Abby, that did that once.  And it turned out that she was very very sick (not trying to scare you).  She walked right up to us and while staring right at us peed on the dog's bed.  We started searching around the house and found all the places, she was going.  It was like she finally said, "if you guys are to stupid to figure it out, I'll do it in front of you".  We took her to the vet and she had a bad bladder infection with crystals.  It was terrible.  She was sick for awhile.  She is okay now but it was not pretty for awhile.  The vet told us that we were like that she was female because crystals can kill a male cat.

Animals to think in terms of spite.  Spite is a human emotion.  I would take your cat to the vet.  If it is not a physical problem, it might be behavioral but I don't think it is spite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Mara Ratnofsky of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    Thank you for your question and rest assured that you are not alone. “Inappropriate elimination” is a fairly common complaint among cat owners. 

It is most important to rule out any medical issues first so your immediate inclusion of your cat’s veterinarian was a great idea. He or she can rule out common causes of inappropriate urination including bladder infection and bladder stones.

My initial thought is to agree with your findings, that this activity sounds more behavioral than medical. If your cat’s veterinarian gives your feline a clean bill of health then you can begin looking at the environment. Make sure that there are enough litter boxes (I suggest three for a two-cat household). You can also try different types of litter boxes and different types of litter.

You may also try Feliway products. These are synthetic cat pheromones that help with stress-related behavioral problems. Several of my clients have had success with these products in their specific situations.

If environmental changes do not help, I suggest that you also contact a feline behaviorist. Be sure that the behaviorist is trained and certified.

Finally, there are behavior medications that may help. These medications are generally well-tolerated by cats however, since drugs can have side effects we use them only when other treatments have proven unsuccessful. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Animals sure can think in terms of spite!  Our puppy peed obviously out of anger/spite at me for taking a toy away from her (it was her crate toy that she had removed from her crate knowing it was wrong).  She wasn't sick, she was ticked!  She didn't even do her regular squat - she just stood there and peed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stockmavn. Show Stockmavn's posts

Yes. One of my cats, when it was time to go to the vet, would run around the house until I cornered him to put him in his cage. Now he has very bad arthritis. Last time I took him to the vet, rather than trying to run away, he just stayed still, and peed on the floor. He has never done that before in the 12 years I've had him. No doubt, he was showing his displeasure!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

Why are you letting her torture your other cat? Sounds like she is running the show. Maybe she'd be happier as an only cat someplace else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNFinVA. Show SNFinVA's posts

One of our cats recently went through a phase of peeing anywhere but in the littler box. After having him checked by the vet, and determining that he had no underlying medical issues, the behavior continued for a few weeks but eventually stooped.
    The cessation of the bad behavior coincided with the successful eviction of the raccoon that had taken up residence inthe attic of our house.
    Was the cat upset by the sound and smell of another creature so close by? I have no way of knowing for sure, but Riley the cat is back to using the litter box.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissCity. Show MissCity's posts

I have been a caregiver to sick cats for the past 15 years--my own, not as my career.  In my experience, cats urinate or defecate outside the litterbox to tell you when something is wrong.  I have found that a physical cause has always been the reason---it is not always something like crystals in the urine, although that has been the cause once.  Once it was pancreatitis.  Another time it was IBD.  Another time it was diabetes.  Bottom line is that every time this happened one of my cats has been trying to tell me that s/he didn't feel well.  Now, all of this also happened while I was having children, we moved, we added another cat to the household etc., so when it happened with the first cat I immediately thought it was psychological. But when I called the vet she wisely asked me to bring the cat in, and then I felt terrible because I had been chastising my cat when all she was attempting to do was tell me she was sick.  Now I know better and when this happens even once I bring the cat in (and, honestly, over 20 years it has only happened with 2 cats, but they had multiple health issues so it happened more than once with each until I got the health problems under control).  So, please don't ignore this, and don't jump to the conclusion this is all out of spite.  I was a mom to the most possessive, jealous cat one could ever love, and she never ever did this out of spite--she did it because she was sick.  Now, she would hiss and spit and growl at a cat she didn't want cuddling up to me, but she didn't pee outside the litterbox because of it.  Another thing I did, just as a precautionary measure when I added other cats to the household was to go by the 1 litterbox per cat + 1 "extra" litterbox rule. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from christinecat. Show christinecat's posts

I have to challenge the idea of spite peeing. Cats can get mad (like when you leave them alone for a long time, or if they are abused or threatened), but they can also just be disturbed or scared by something. My cat pees when scared - when she goes to the groomer and there are a lot of dogs there, for example. The example of the favorite toy being taken away also sounds like a possible case of being really disturbed rather than angry. My cat tends to show anger by ignoring me. I really sympathize - it can be so tough to figure out the cause because cats can't use words! But don't jump to conclusions - and definitely don't punish the cat for perceived bad behavior that could easily be something else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think spite/anger peeing is one of the many reasons animals pee inappropriately.  Illness, fear, submission, spite/anger, insecurity or uncomfortableness with another animal, etc.  The list goes on and on, but anyone that's experienced spite/anger pee knows it happens.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think cats or dogs pee out of anger or spite. It may sometimes be linked to dominance, stress or other behavior problems, but dogs and cats all do the same things when they get mad: they scratch, growl, or bite.

they may know that peeing will get them attention, but if they're truly mad at you, they're not going to want your attention.
    a co-worker once told me "My dog was trying to get my attention, and when I refused to give it she peed right on the floor." my response was "Don't you think she might have been trying to tell you she needed to go outside??!!"

cats peeing right in front of you are trying to tell you something is wrong.

if a cat has pain or is uncomfortable while urinating, first they will associate it with the litter box, so they just figure they'll pee elsewhere and it won't hurt. then it still hurts while peeing in another place, so they try somewhee else, and on and on until their owner finally notices something is wrong.

My friend's cat had this same issue and it was due to bladder stones, she had several and the vet said she must have been in pain for months.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

beating an animal with behavior problems will most likely only make those problems worse.

There are alternatives to abuse and abandonment. There's a middle gorund between letting an animal do whatever it wants and abusing it or getting rid of it.

pets will inevitably cause the occasional mess. those unable to properly handle and clean those messes should never own a pet, ever.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

they make pet diapers, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from noons2001. Show noons2001's posts

My 16 year old siamese mix was recently caught peeing while staring at one of us. He was brought to the vet and found to have diabetes. Began treatment and he seemed to be on the mend and less than a week later, started peeing everywhere again. Brought him to Tufts and he had ruptured something and was VERY ill. We put him down last friday, as he was in a lot of pain.

I'd suggest, as most others did, to rule out a physical cause. If nothing is wrong physically and you have enough litter boxes and there is still an issue, it could be dominance issues (with you or another animal). If it still can't be resolved, I'd suggest contacting a local shelter to find an appropriate home for the animal. An animal should not be abused because of this (especially to the commenter about the puppy!).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from animallover. Show animallover's posts

Cats and dogs do not do things out of spite.  That is a human emotion and cats/dogs do not have that type of complex thinking that you are attributing to them (anthropomorphism).  Yes, their actions could be attributed to a behavioral issue but not emotions like spite or jealousy.  I hope your cat is ok healthwise.  If it is not a health issue, I agree about getting another litter box.  Cats don't always like to share litter boxes.  Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

I refer to my previous post about my dog who figured out a way to pee between the wire on his crate when he was mad at as. Our vet confirmed his problem was behaviorial not medical and the video we had made of him clearly showed no stress or anxiety on his part. He was simply miffed and peed on the couch to let us know.  I don't know if it rises to the level of "spite" but an animal will certainly find interesting ways to let you know if they don't like something.

But I agree, definitely take the kitty to the vet and find out if it's medical. My last cat did urinate on the carpet a couple of times and when we took her in we found out she had kidney disease. So you just never know!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brbirder. Show brbirder's posts

Once you get a clean bill of health on the cat, I definitely recomend the Felaway products.  I had the same problem with my cat right after I adopted him, he was not happy to have a new home and was going to let me know.  I got the Felaway plug in, and the problem stopped.