Labrador Retriever - Seizures & Quality of Life

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrestaGT. Show CrestaGT's posts

Labrador Retriever - Seizures & Quality of Life

Hello,
    Our 12 1/2 year old labrador retriever experienced seizures for the first time yesterday.  He had 4 with us and one at the hospital.  The bloodwork came back and said liver and kidney functioning was fine.  So, it's likely that the seizures are being caused by a brain tumor, correct?  I believe that the seizures are under control with pheno-barbitol.  We won't be taking any additional measures to prolong his life, other than giving him medication.  What do you think we can expect for his quality of life now?  We're going back to the hospital tonight, hopefully to bring him home.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from revdani. Show revdani's posts

Re: Labrador Retriever - Seizures & Quality of Life

In Response to Labrador Retriever - Seizures & Quality of Life:
    [QUOTE]Hello, Our 12 1/2 year old labrador retriever experienced seizures for the first time yesterday.  He had 4 with us and one at the hospital.  The bloodwork came back and said liver and kidney functioning was fine.  So, it's likely that the seizures are being caused by a brain tumor, correct?  I believe that the seizures are under control with pheno-barbitol.  We won't be taking any additional measures to prolong his life, other than giving him medication.  What do you think we can expect for his quality of life now?  We're going back to the hospital tonight, hopefully to bring him home.
    Posted by CrestaGT[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from revdani. Show revdani's posts

If you can control his seizures it is possible that he'll have decent quality of life for a while. Be sure to ask the vet these questions also. I imagine, if it's a brain tumor you'll know soon enough if the phenobarb is effective.  I've always been told that you will know when your dog no longer has quality of life. He'll "tell" you. And I can say, from experience, that is true.  So, I hope you can bring him home and love him until he tells you it's time.  Blessings to you. RevDani

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not sure a brain tumor is the only remaining possible cause of seizures, and I'm hopeful the medication can control them for a long time with no ill effects.

Sorry you are starting to deal with heavy issues with your dear friend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Lisa Moses of Angell Animal Medical Center's Pain Medicine Service:

Faced with an emergency situation you acted correctly with your quick actions. Although a brain tumor is a common cause for new seizures in an older dog, there are other possible causes. A careful history should be taken coupled with a neurological exam, possibly performed without the use of an MRI, by a veterinary neurologist to help narrow down the causes. It is important that your dog has this initial examination performed since there may be alternatives other than anti-seizure medications that can help.

While medicating your dog you may notice changes in his behavior. Several common anti-seizure medications cause sedation during the first weeks of treatment that resolve in the short term. These medications may also increase your dog's hunger and thirst.

The seizures themselves may also change your dog’s behavior including temporary loss of vision. This can last for only a few minutes or even for a few days depending on the severity of the seizures.

Pressure in your dog’s brain can change his behavior between seizures or increase the frequency of the seizures. Please talk to your veterinarian and/or a veterinary neurologist again since other medications can help alleviate these symptoms and anti-seizure medication doses often need to be adjusted.

If your dog does truly have a brain tumor, unfortunately he will eventually have uncontrollable seizures, permanent behavior changes, or even become comatose. It is important that you find out as much information now, in the early stages of his condition, to better plan for his future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RPT456. Show RPT456's posts

I have seizures and I don't have a brain tumor.  Then again, I'm also not a dog.  So, maybe for them it's different.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dino65. Show Dino65's posts

In Response to Labrador Retriever - Seizures & Quality of Life:
    [QUOTE]Hello, Our 12 1/2 year old labrador retriever experienced seizures for the first time yesterday.  He had 4 with us and one at the hospital.  The bloodwork came back and said liver and kidney functioning was fine.  So, it's likely that the seizures are being caused by a brain tumor, correct?  I believe that the seizures are under control with pheno-barbitol.  We won't be taking any additional measures to prolong his life, other than giving him medication.  What do you think we can expect for his quality of life now?  We're going back to the hospital tonight, hopefully to bring him home.
    Posted by CrestaGT[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dino65. Show Dino65's posts

Due to his old age, It may be a brain tumor only if the medicine don't work well at all.  I hope your dog gets a speedy recovery.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thinkingdem. Show thinkingdem's posts

My Golden had seizures several years ago before her death

.. With the help of the folks at Angell we determined that it was due to a brain tumor (actually if I recall correctly a nasopharyngeal tumor that was slowly invading her brain and inducing the seizures)

.. She was treated with a human anti-seizures medication which while more expensive did not have the lethargy and weight gain side effects common with less expensive medicines commonly employed .. Her seizures were essentially completely controlled using this medication for about 12 months until the point where the seizures returned en masse and we had to put her down

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bstngrl416. Show bstngrl416's posts

My Italian Greyhound was diagnosed with siezures when he was 2 years old.  There were no reasons for them.  I did some research and found that Science Diet (what I was feeding him) had harsh chemicals in it that were known to cause seizures.  He has been on Zonicimide medication for 3 years now and has only had one siesure since.  I also changed his food to before grain.  All natural is the only way to go for your best friends.