Lyme Test

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Lyme Test

New Lyme Test for Dogs and Horses

As of June 15, 2011, the Serology/Immunology laboratory at the AHDC offers a new assay for the detection of antibodies to B. burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease. The new assay (Lyme multiplex assay) is available for testing samples from dogs and horses.

The Lyme multiplex assay combines the advantages of the previous ELISA and Western blot testing. It is a fully quantitative assay that simultaneously detects antibodies to different specific antigens of B. burgdorferi as indicators of acute or chronic infection. The assay also distinguishes between antibodies induced by infection with the spirochetes or vaccination against Lyme disease.

Both serum and/or cerebrospinal fluid samples can be submitted for multiplex testing using the regular AHDC sample submission form. The fee for the Lyme multiplex assay is $36. Further information can be obtained on the AHDC website (http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu) or you can call (607-253-3900). Serological  Lyme testing by ELISA and Western blot will be discontinued after June 15, 2011.

Additional information for horses

Additional information for dogs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Lyme Test

Hoping the Angellvets would comment on the importance of testing for Lyme disease.  I found out the hard way that the symptoms such as occasional limping, lethargy are vague, subtle and often misdiagnosed as old age or arthritis causing valuable time to be lost in regards to starting treatment, potentially leading to irreversible kidney disease.  Also I have heard some vets don't agree with giving the Lyme vaccine or antibiotics to dogs that test positive and are asymptomatic, what do the Angellvets think?  Isn't  true dogs can still develop Lyme disease symptoms despite being vaccinated?  I imagine the vaccine would help because there are mild and extreme forms of this illness.  I'm assuming the vaccine would decrease the likelihood of the extreme version.   Of course the best thing to do regardless of whether the dog is vaccinated or not is to avoid tick abundant areas such as woods as much as possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Lyme Test

I hope AVs answers your questions, but I can answer the last one in the meantime.  A dog in our family was vaccinated every year but got Lyme, anyway.  He was treated successfully, but they were pretty distressed to know they had given him a controversial vaccine for nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Video instruction on tick removal

http://www.necn.com/03/27/12/Jake-the-Vet-Ticks/landing.html?blockID=677760&tagID=109536