My cat eats plastic bags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Re: My cat eats plastic bags

If it helps one of mine does it too, though in her case she usually licks and licks and licks and if its small enough or flexible enough attemps to swallow it whole.  I learned really quick to keep any baggie that she might be able to get into her mouth out of reach (and as much as possible out of the house). 

Depending on your cat's background its possible that at some point she learned that plastic bags sometimes contain food, though I know thats not likely the case with mine as I got her at 10 weeks of age.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox1012. Show RedSox1012's posts

I've caught my cat muching on plastic bags too, never swallowing, just muching on them like they are cat grass; usually he goes after the bags that contain cat food as soon as I bring them inside. I try and use reusable grocery bags as much as possible, I put out cat food balls (kongs for cats) and fill them with dry food and treats to keep him busy and I occasionally bring cat grass home for him to chew on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I found your post facinating and did some reading.  A number of sites say that plastic bags have a scent that cats like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

This is a familiar problem to me. My younger cat...Tinkerbelle...has always loved those plastic bags. She is not destructive in any way..until she gets her paws on one of those plastic shopping bags. Not such a major problem since I use the reusable bags for groceries...but I still get the occasional plastic bag. I am careful with making sure they get unpacked and disposed of..because otherwise, the will shred them to pieces..which is not good for her..or for me. She has never shown an interest in the trash bag..just the plastic bags from the store. You are doing the right thing by keeping your cat away. It must be a personality thing because my other cat has no interest whatsoever..lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My cat has always liked to chew on cellophane, plastic wrap, even the edge of my (new) shower curtain.  She doesn't try to chew it to pieces, just chews and chews.  Problem is, if it's a piece of saran wrap I've thrown in the rubbish, it eventually gets worked into her mouth and swallowed.  I'm very careful to keep a cover on the kitchen waste basket to keep her out of it when I'm not home.  She never bothers the plastic shopping bags.  I never thought she was trying to eat it, I really thought she was using it as a piece of floss to clean between her back teeth!  Truthfully, that's what it seems like to me when I watch her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from breeestir. Show breeestir's posts

Most plastic bags (especially grocery) are made with some type of fish oil. Cats in general love bags as most of us know but plastic ones are very attractive due to the scent and slight taste of the fish oil!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yup, my cat LOVES plastic bags, and dry cleaner plastic, too.  We always remind anyone catsitting for her that they must NOT bring bags into the house, and we immediately empty the groceries and anything else from those bags as soon as we get into the house.  Her former owner gave me the heads up about this habit when I adopted her; she'd almost died from getting plastic stuck in her stomach/colon/wherever I don't remember.  So we're VERY careful.  She also loves the bags that have bagels in them - so it's not just the plastic grocery bags.  She doesn't eat the bagels, just chews and eats the plastic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leslelle. Show Leslelle's posts

My cat licks plastic bags too

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andim14. Show andim14's posts

Some cats like to eat plastic beacuse it has traces of beef in it, so they are able to scent it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from petlove6. Show petlove6's posts

Here I thought my cat, Prudence, was just crazy.  She does it too and everyone I ever asked just looked at me like I was nuts.  I am glad I am not alone.  The funny thing is, she hates....hates...hates the sound of plastic bags but will chew and eat them.  I don't use plastic bags often but will get one from time to time and if left unattended for like a second...she gets it.  She will also go after trash bags if given the chance.  

I never knew that plastic bags were made with fish oil.  Thank you for the info!

Prudence is a sweet sweet cat.  None of my other cats do it.  Just her.  It is interesting because she has an incredibly sensitive sense of smell.  I mean I know all cats due, but hers seems hypersensitive...and she is a heck of hunter. She is an indoor cat and she has caught a mouse, a snake, and a bird (long stories).  When not catching live prey she will get in the hamper and "hunt" clothes.  Fun kitty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bella92. Show Bella92's posts

My cat licks them as well and I thought she was just goofy.  Glad to know she's not the only one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbemom. Show mbemom's posts

I thought my Tiger was just being his strange self when he'd sit on the kitchen table licking the grocery bags, but now at least I know he's in good company!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If it is the scent of fish oil or beef, it must also be in most all plastic bags, because Cheerio jumps up on the bureau and chews on even a Barnes and Noble plastic bag that contains greeting cards!  She's is scared to death when I shake out the plastic trash bag to insert in the bucket, leaves grocery plastic bags alone, but most any other plastic is fair game, even the plastic a loaf of bread comes in. Wish these furry friends of ours could talk!  (well, she is a "talker", but not when it comes to why she chews on plastic!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lemna. Show Lemna's posts

Our cat, Sweetpea, loves to chew thicker plastic bags, like the ones you get from clothing stores.  She also loves chewing cardboard.  And whenever anything has those little elastic strings, like expandable folders, my shoes, or cat toys, watch out. She's all over them. 

I actually went to the pet supply store asking if they had any chew toys for cats. They looked at me like I was crazy, then directed me to the treats. The problem with treats is that she devours them immediately.  I need something safe that she can chew for longer periods. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kangajb. Show kangajb's posts

One of my cats, Lily, LOVES to eat plastic of any kind, Rascal will go after it if it's available but otherwise will take it or leave it and Nutmeg could care less. To us it seems to be the crinkle sound it makes, since they absolutely love the toys that make the crinkle noises. The ingesting of the plastic is totally incidental to the chewing of the plastic. Lily has been known to knock over trash bins to get at plastic wrappers she knows are in there and will take them and run and hide if you try to take them away just like if you try to take away a toy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kangajb. Show kangajb's posts

My cat, Lily, loves to chew plastic. Rascal will take it or leave it and Nutmeg couldn't care less.  We think the fascination comes from the sounds the plastic makes when they chew it because it is the same as the sounds the crinkle toys make and they absolutely LOVE those toys.  The ingesting of the plastic is incidental to the chewing.  Lily has been known to knock over trash bins when she knows there are plastic wrappers inside and will run and hide with them when you try to take them away just like if you try to take away a toy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mariedot. Show mariedot's posts

my cat eats rubber bands.  i don't even know where he finds them sometimes (he's indoor).  i don't buy or use them, and if any come into the house for whatever reason, i.e. banded produce, i throw them out immediately.  yet, he still finds them.  lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from petlove6. Show petlove6's posts

I had a cat that ate a rubber band once, Jake, he is gone now...died years ago. Not from the rubber band...cancer.  Wonderful cat, I still miss him.  Anyway, he ate the rubber band and I had to pull it out of you know where because he didn't pass it all the way out and it got sort of stuck.  Neither of us were happy that day. :(

So now I am crazy about rubber bands...they are tossed in the trash the second they come in the house.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If your cat is dipping into the anti-freeze you better move it or you'll have a dead cat very soon.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newlin. Show newlin's posts

My cat eats anything plastic-y and some paper too.  Can't leave receipts out, or any type of paper with adhesive back.  She chews on books and photos too.  If it wasn't so toxic I might let her because she gets so incredibly happy after a little chew.  My vet said what most of you say - that she's attracted to the various oils used in plastic and adhesive production.  Nothing to do but keep them out of reach.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LydiLoui. Show LydiLoui's posts

In Response to Re: My cat eats plastic bags:
    [QUOTE]www.mypetsmart.com/petcare/articles/is-your-cat-eating-weird-things-it-could-be-pica      Hope this helps.
    Posted by Robin39[/QUOTE]

That's correct! -- It's called Pica, human children have it also (I used to be an Aide to a child) someone had to be with her 24/7, so she couldn't eat something that could possibly poison her! That was how I learned about Pica.
    Then almost a year ago we adpoted two shelter cats from the Milford Humane Society. A brother and sister. And the male cat (named Twilight) eats everything. Wrapping paper, bows, string, yes and particularly fond of plastic shopping bags. I told the vet that I knew that this behaviour was called Pica (didn't know animals could have it) but supsected that this was why he was doing this. The vet said yes that is correct it's called Pica, animals have it too! Sometimes because they are lacking some sort of vitamin, they get anemic. Fortunately his blood work checked out okay. I just try not to let him eat stuff knowingly! Sometimes he chews something, but usually vomits it, back up shortly.
    Good Luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmw0829. Show cmw0829's posts

We have one cat that loves these bags - the other could care less. However, she doesn't eat them but just loves to paw at them so she can stick her head in them and look around. I think she's 1) nosy and 2) loves the crinkly sound that they make.

Every cat has an obsession. You just have to keep these bags away from yours. Good luck.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Response, My cat eats plastic bags

Answer by Dr. Mara Ratnofsky of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:  I don’t think anyone really knows why some cats love to chew on plastic (taste?, feel of plastic in the mouth?), but it certainly isn’t an uncommon behavior.  Plastic-chewing can be dangerous for cats, however, as pieces of plastic can get caught in the stomach or intestines and cause serious harm to these organs. The good news is that you are able to manage your cat’s bad habit.  In addition to blocking her access to plastic bags, you might also try general environmental enrichment.  You can provide your cat with several types of toys (try toys made of different materials, toys that dispense food, etc.) and institute regular play-time with her.  She may be less tempted to go after plastic bags if she has enough daily stimulation.

If you are in need of a veterinarian you may call Angell Animal Medical Center at (617) 524-5653 to schedule an appointment, or visit www.angell.org/generalmedicine for more information.

AngellVets

Sections
Shortcuts