My cat has started attacking me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

My cat has started attacking me

I have a 12-year-old cat who in the past few months has periodically attacked me while just sitting with me on the couch.  He sits up and stares at me and then bites down hard on my arm or hand and pulls on my skin with his teeth.  I end up having to put a magazine between us but when I lower the magazine, he will do it again until I get up and move.  Then he lies down and usually falls asleep as if nothing happened.  Each time he has drawn blood - and I'm not sure where this behavior is coming from.  I've had the vet check him out and she cannot really explain it either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Re: My cat has started attacking me

Thanks very much, Robin -- I will look at the answers for the previous posting.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Jackbu - sorry to be so long in responding.  No, I haven't played with my cat, Charlie, in this way so it's nothing he would be remembering.  He usually does this when he's next to me on the couch and i'm patting him, or sleeping next to me in bed.  when this happens he sets his mouth really tight and his eyes kind of get glazed over.  the vet said it might be something neurological (but she really didn't think so).  she suggested MRIs, etc., but i will not put him through that.  I've learned to just get up and leave the room when he starts with these symptoms.  Thanks for your input.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Thanks, Robin.  My vet even said it might be dementia.  Other than these occurrences, he seems fine.  I love the old guy desperately and will just live with this little problem!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

It very well could be a dominance thing but just not sure why after all this time.  He's a very sweet boy otherwise, so I will just live with this situation. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you had him the whole 12 years, and he's never behaved this way before?  If so, I wonder if it is something to do with neurological function, like Robin suggested.

If it were me, I'd try this B-complex supplement.  It improves mood and boosts brain function.  B-Complex for Cats (and Dogs)  and it definitely can't hurt anything.  Be patient; it will take time to build up and take noticable effect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Dear Kargiver - I've had Charlie since he was 2 years old (got him from the Melrose Humane Society).  I suspect it IS neurological because of the set of his mouth and the glazing of his eyes during the episodes, but I'm not going to put him through having an MRI or tests that my vet talked about.  I'll look into the B-Complex for cats - thanks so much for your advice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope it helps - give it time.  Vitamins don't work immediately; they have to build up.  I'd track the number of attacks per day on your wall calendar with hatch marks starting today to get a baseline.  Then, keep recording and see if the numbers go down over the first month you administer the B complex.  Then, you can decide based on concrete numbers if you want to keep ordering it after the first bottle is gone.

GL, and keep us posted!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

In Response to Re: My cat has started attacking me:
    [QUOTE]I hope it helps - give it time.  Vitamins don't work immediately; they have to build up.  I'd track the number of attacks per day on your wall calendar with hatch marks starting today to get a baseline.  Then, keep recording and see if the numbers go down over the first month you administer the B complex.  Then, you can decide based on concrete numbers if you want to keep ordering it after the first bottle is gone. GL, and keep us posted!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Thanks again.  I'll let you know how we make out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Given the cost of going to the vet, I think investing $21 and closely and concretely monitoring behavior for improvement for one bottle's worth is decent advice.  If the journal proves it was a waste, so be it and I bet PLRLOB won't hold it against me, but given that B vitamins are critical to proper brain function I bet she loves her cat enough to try them.

Thorne Research Basic B Complex consists of a group of eight water-soluble compounds: thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), cobalamin (vitamin B12), folate, and biotin. Although each B vitamin is chemically distinct, they often work together in various biochemical functions throughout the body – from cellular energy production, to healthy red-blood-cell formation, to healthy neurological function. Most B vitamins, with the exception of vitamin B12, are not stored in the body; consequently, they must be acquired daily from the diet in order to maintain optimal health.

• Unlike many B vitamin products, Basic B Complex contains the active forms for enhanced bioavailability
    • Basic B Complex contains an optimal balance of essential B vitamins
    • Basic B Complex is yeast free
    • Without preservatives, magnesium stearate, or other lubricants and diluents
    • Made without flowing agents that can inhibit bioavailability

Supplementing with active B vitamins is extremely important, especially for animals that may not be able to convert non-active vitamins to their active forms in the liver because of compromised liver function, poorly functioning enzymes, digestive disturbances, or age. Dietary supplements containing these active cofactors have enhanced bioavailability, ensuring your pet gets the nutrients it needs.

Thorne's Basic B Complex contains the entire B-complex, including the activated forms of vitamin B2 (riboflavin 5'-phosphate), vitamin B6 (pyridoxal 5'-phosphate), folic acid (folinic acid and L-5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate), and vitamin B12 (adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin), as well as 80 mg choline citrate. Although choline is often grouped with the B vitamin family, it is not officially a B vitamin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

My 16yo male cat had neuromuscular issues and I did a lot of research on it. I found articles stating that patients (both human and pets) experienced a reduction in both neuromuscular and neurological symptoms as a result of taking B12 vitamins. I gave him 3mg daily (3000 mcg's) and noticed improvement within a week. Not sure if you will have the same results with your case, but it couldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, within a week, that's good to know, Shorty.  Glad your research pointed you in the right direction and you made his remaning time that much more enjoyable.

PLRLOB, please let us know how it goes.  Given Shorty's experience, I bet you could send the bottle back if you don't see noticeable results within 3 weeks (to be on the safe side) and get your money back.  But, of course, we're hoping it works for you, too, and you won't want to return it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Over the past year, I've tried a few alternative approaches to my pets' medical issues. Some have worked, some not so much. The toughest part I found was the dosage requirements for some of these can be quite large and my cat was not a good pill taker. The most important thing with these approaches is patience and perseverance. I gave all trials a minimum of 3 months with gradual dosage increases if I didn't see any positive improvements. I'm currently giving my dog probiotic supplements to help him absorb nutrients from his food and medications for thyroid & allergy issues. We're a little over 2 months into this trial and I'm finally seeing some good results in improved skin and ear/eye health.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awesome - that's another thing we've used with Gracie, but only after her round of antibiotics she took for a UTI.  I like to build up the good bacteria fast so her immune system is top notch asap after taking antibiotics.  I do the same thing for myself, too.  I recommended probiotics to someone here regarding yeasty ears, but he never gave us an update.  I know that one definitely works on yeast issues so I hope he tried it.

Your method is really the only one, imo, that's fool proof with natural remedies.  Keeping a journal along the way helps, too, because it cuts down on second guessing your observations.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PLRLOB. Show PLRLOB's posts

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, recommendations and support.  'Charlie' and I will try the vitamins (haven't bought them yet).  and thanks, Robin - I will most certainly hug and kiss him as much as I can!!!