Obsessive water drinking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluesandpiper. Show bluesandpiper's posts

Re: Obsessive water drinking?

In Response to Obsessive water drinking?:

Excessive drinking could be a sign of diabetes. Other signs include excessive hunger and weight loss. I would have the vet do a check up and bloodwork to rule out the possibility of diabetes or other health condition.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Actually, "social drinking" doesn't sound that crazy - we have a friend whose dog exhibits "water hoarding" - that is, he will drink like crazy if there is another dog around, even if before the dog arrived he wasn't thirsty.  So he drinks so that nobody else can have some (nice!) - some evolutionary thing, or some weirdo thing, who knows?  So if there is another dog around they only fill his bowl with a tiny bit of water or they, too, have to walk him a zillion times.

So perhaps he's been holding out all day, not drinking, until you  get home, so he is thirsty? Still, you could interrupt him and get him focused on something fun, like going for a walk the first thing you do when you get home, and then perhaps his drinking throughout the night when you're home won't be so frenetic?
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Blue - we were concerned about diabetes too, that's why I called the vet.  He's a beagle, so he is always excessively hungry, but there hasn't been any weight loss that we can tell. 
    CT -"water hoarding"?  That's a good summary.  He seems to just kind of zone in on drinking & it's hard to get his attention.  Once I do (usually with a toy or the fridge door) he will sometimes leave the bowl.  Then when he gets bored, he'll go back & drain it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I think for piece of mind I will speak to the actual vet.  If there's a chance it could be something serious, I'd rather be the over-protective type.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Obsessive water drinking?:
    [QUOTE]Blue - we were concerned about diabetes too, that's why I called the vet.  He's a beagle, so he is always excessively hungry, but there hasn't been any weight loss that we can tell.  CT -"water hoarding"?  That's a good summary.  He seems to just kind of zone in on drinking & it's hard to get his attention.  Once I do (usually with a toy or the fridge door) he will sometimes leave the bowl.  Then when he gets bored, he'll go back & drain it. Thanks for the feedback! I think for piece of mind I will speak to the actual vet.  If there's a chance it could be something serious, I'd rather be the over-protective type.
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

I have a dog that's diabetic.

The excessive water drinking by your dog doesn't sound like diabetes.  Excessive water drinking occurs when the sugar level in the dog's blood is too high.  His body will work real hard to get rid of the sugar.  He'll pull the sugar out along with a lot of water.  He'll pee out the sugar and need water to replace the lost fluids.

The excessive water drinking would be associated with excessing peeing if it were diabetes. 

Also, the sugar level in their blood is going to peak a few hours after they've eaten.  When my dog's insulin is off, he'll wake up around 2 AM after eating at 7 PM, run over to the water bowl, drink his fill and then head out to potty, and then again at 4.

Also associated with diabetes is weight loss.

My dog's behavior was pretty dramatic because he doesn't produce any insulin.  I think some dogs can gradually become diabetic or have their diabetes worsen over time.

An easy way to test for diabetes is to check the sugar content of your dogs urine.  You can buy ketone sticks at CVS.  Follow your dog around is a ladle.  When it pees, catch it in the ladle and drop in a ketone stick.  The color change will indicate if the dog's urine has a high sugar level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ti- my dog won't eat if he's by himself. He used to have his whole bowl of food sitting and waiting for him all day, but he never touched it until someone came home.
    We figured it's because he knows eating (and maybe drinking) makes him have to go to the bathroom, but if no one is home, he can't go out to go to the bathroom (especially if he's in his crate).
    So maybe your dog waits to drink because he doesn't want to have to hold it all day? Holding it isn't any fun! Especially if you guys are gone 7-8 hours a day. Imagine holding it for 6+ hours?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe he's waiting to drink until you can let him out to pee.  He learned that if he drinks before you get home he can't hold it.  Maybe you can arrange for someone to let him out sometime during the day.

Someone with diabetes, be them man or beast, will be excessively thirsty all the time.

GL, tibird!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Thanks everyone! 
    I think I will try the ketone stick, just to be sure, but I'm glad it doesn't sound like diabetes to you.  I'm sorry about your dog, Dirtywater, but it sounds like you have learned how to help him through it!

Kar & Pink - I agree about the holding it part. It only worried me because this is new behavior.  And when he drinks unchecked, he drinks so much that he is unable to hold it even long enough to tell us, or to get outside.  When it first started, he would pee in the house, and it didn't seem like he knew it or could stop.  Or if he did let us know in time, he may not make it out through the hallway. 
    I may just have to face the fact that my dog has a drinking problem :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I may just have to face the fact that my dog has a drinking problem :)
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

You could put that on a shirt.  One of my favorite dog tshirts that I have had enough self control to refrain from buying (so far anyways) is "Can't control my licker!) 

Not sure why I'm so entertained by dog/drinking jokes...