Pug with histiocytoma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Pug with histiocytoma

Early last month, we took our one-year-old pug to the vet for a growth on his ear.  They did a blood test and determined that it was a histiocytoma, and we were told that it would most likely go away on its own in a few months.

Within the last couple of weeks, the lump has not reduced in size, but it has started to scab over.  It occasionally bleeds a tiny bit if he rubs it against something (blanket, etc).  It doesn't bother him at all; he doesn't scratch at it and it doesn't phase him if we touch it.

My question is, what is a histiocytoma supposed to look like as it heals?  Is the scabbing normal, or should we bring him back to the vet for more tests?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Pug with histiocytoma

http://www.necn.com/04/24/12/Jake-the-Vet-Doggy-Lumps/landing.html?blockID=695552&feedID=8500            Lumps and bumps are common especially among certain breeds, thought this post was worth bumping up.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My Shih Tzu has a bleeding wart on the top of her head. She has had it for years. I had a vet quote me $1200 to remove it. Second opinion said as unsightly as it looks, it is doing her no harm. I don't want to subject her to unnecessary anesthesia either. I know things are different today but I lost a 4 year old cat getting her teeth cleaned from anesthesia. Amber had a lump as a puppy and followed vet advice to have it removed. $500 later, if I knew then what I know now, I never would have done that. She has tags and lumps that are normal in her breed. Don't know if this helps or not but second opinions are good. Not everything that happens to your fur baby is unusual. Research the breed. Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVet. Show AngellVet's posts

Hi Pugs and Kisses,

These are benign growths that usually affect younger dogs and tend to resolve on their own within a couple of months.  I'd recommend that an Aspirate always be done to rule out more serious tumors (e.g. Mast cell tumors) which closely resemble Histiocytoma. 

The scabbing over and crusting is typical of regression of the mass and it should resolve in due course.  Please do talk to your veterinarian, however, about scheduling the Aspirate.

Best,

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

@ Ambergirl, regarding the newly found lump on her neck (mentioned in CC), it sounds like the type of lump a Shih Tzu I had in the early 90s developed at the age of 12, I was concerned about cost, decided against the geriatric work-up and took a wait and see approach with the lump, I regret both those decisions.
    The lump grew rapidly and within 6 months was the size of an orange, she had difficulty eating and frequent vomiting, at that stage she was too weak and run down to endure surgery and had to be euthanized.       
    ETA: The vet may want to do a scan (x-ray) and/or aspirate first to see if it has spread and identify what they're dealing with before going over your options. 
    If possible I would have the lump removed right away.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks DL. Getting lots of opinions from friends. I will call my vet again tomorrow if I don't hear back in the morning. This lump is different and at her throat. Thank you for the life experience.. best advice I have had so far. Trying not to worry so much but that is difficult.