Puppy that likes eating # 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Puppy that likes eating # 2

Only Natural Pet sells a supplement to feed the dog that makes its p00 taste terrible (it doesn't already?) and deter that behavior.  HOWEVER, they also sell a "safe" supplement to protect lawns from getting burned by the pee, and THAT made Gracie very sick and the vet confirmed it was very bad for dogs and should be banned.

SO, check out the supplement but before you assume it's safe, ask your vet.

Also, it has 80 reviews that I haven't read.  Check 'em out.

Stool Eating Deterrent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

I have heard before that feeding the dog pineapple also makes the p00 taste bad to them.  We haven't had any issues with our dog eating p00, but he does love pineapple!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I looked at the ingredients, and the pineapple enzymes are part of the ONP deterrant.  Also, all those ingredients are safe to my knowledge.  I'd give them to Gracie without asking the vet first (but I'm not suggesting that YOU don't ask).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Does she know "leave it"? If not, teach it to her.  That way if you can't get close enough to her to grab it quickly, and she'll go with you in eyesight, as soon as she turns to eat it you tell her to leave it.  This will also be helpful if she tries to eat other dogs' #2 - never know what worms or illnesses might be in those.

Sidenote - "leave it" it one of the most important commands to master IMO.  Dogs try to pickup all kinds of things that they shouldn't and a good leave will save a lot of vet bills.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, "leave it" is essential.  Gracie's pretty good with it, too!  We had the presents under the tree this year because of "leave it."  She seems to remember what she's supposed to "leave," too, and keeps avoiding it after the first couple of times you tell her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

You'll be more effective teaching a command like "leave it" instead of trying to scoop immediately. If the dog recognizes you as the alpha, the dog is going to think that you want it, since you're rushing to collect it, so it must be really good. If you leave it and teach the dog to leave it, you're sending the message that it's no good at all.

Will she go on a leash? You should be able to monitor her from a reasonable distance with a long leash, but prevent her from getting to it immediately with the leash. That should give you the moment to each her "leave it."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great point, RFBF; I never would have thought of that.  Gracie always wants we we have, it's true!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Wow, I can not believe the amount of advise here, Thank you SO MUCH to everybody.  I will definitely try the "leave it"  Sometimes if I make an "Uh uh" noise she stops and looks at me, but that doesn't always work.  And I can never tell if she stops because she is listening to me or if I scarred her.  And I definitely don't want to get in the habit of scaring her. Thanks again for all the great advise.  I am always willing to take any advise given when it comes to my little puppy.Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure your little uh-uh isn't truly scaring her, and startling her away from bad behavior isn't a bad thing.  It breaks her train of bad thought/behavior.

Bring treats out there with you so when she does "leave it" you can reward her for obeying.

If I hadn't had this forum when Gracie was a pup I don't know how I'd have made it.  Welcome and we hope you'll stay with us!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I've heard of a dog eating it's own p00 because it's "ashamed' of it. 

Sometimes when people housebreak their dog and they will put their dogs nose close to the p00 (when they go in the wrong place) and adminish the dog.  This is OK as long as you reward the dog for going p00 in the correct place.

The dog should technically p00 on command.

There are a couple of things you could try.....

Take the dog out of it's crate, put it on a leash, take it outside to go potty.  Say "potty, potty, potty" until it goes to the bathroom, at which point you give lots of praise and when she finishes, you give her a treat and lots and lots of praise.  If she starts to eat the p00, I would correct her with a sharp tug on the leash and "no" or "leave it".  She can smell it but if she goes to eat it, then a correction.  And when she turns away from it, more parise.

You said that she's a little bashful about it, which sounds a little odd.  the only time my dog hides to go to the bathroom is when he does it in the house.  in any case, after 15 minutes of saying "potty", if she hasn't gone p00, then back to the crate for 1/2 hour or so, and repeat. 

If you want to force her to p00, there's an old dog show trick that I heard (if a dog p00s in the show ring, it's out).  Take a wooden match, wet the sulpher end, and insert into the rectum.  Yeah, I know, but I've been told it works.  Remove the match and the p00 should come.

I suspect that she is eating the p00 to "hide it". 

It's ok to correct undesired behavior as long as you reward desired behavior.

Correct/redirect/reward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My Shih Tzu did the same thing as a puppy.  I would tell her "no" everytime I would catch her.  To be honest, not sure if it was that or she just outgrew it, but that is very common for puppies to do.  Gross I know... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Might I add, Shih Tzu's are known for being very stubborn!  So repetive is the key with them.  Smart little cookies they are, they will always try to get away with something : )