red spot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: red spot?

I suppose it's possible, but to my knowledge she doesn't have fleas...never has.  Can a dog just get one flea bite and not be infested?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It looks swollen where it's red, too...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Now I'm paranoid about fleas.  It doesn't seem to be itchy to her, though.  She's not paying it any mind.  I only noticed it because of the way she's laying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just gave her a good Furminating.  No fleas or bugs of any sort in the undercoat it pulled off (just a bunch of dry skin so I know it got down to her skin).  I inspected the rest of her skin as best I could in the process, and I neither saw any bugs or red spots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The vet called back (probably after getting a good chuckle over kargiver's paranoia) and said these things happen for no concerning reason and to only be worried if it gets considerably worse (i.e., crusts, oozes, etc.).  I don't even see a bite or broken skin at all.  She did just see Gracie for a Lyme shot booster and, coincidently, the abrasion on her face (same appointment; it happened the weekend before her already scheduled appointment), and she said she looked fantastic then.

I took the opportunity to inspect her skin as best I can (her coat is resistant to brushing backwards) and didn't find any evidence of fleas whatsoever.  PHEW!  And, of course, this was a good reminder to reapply her Frontline.  I'm generally against poison, but it works, and I'm more against biting critters.

But, if Gracie didn't bitten, what the heck is the spot from?  You don't just get a swollen red patch for no reason.  But, if the vet isn't concerned I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens without freaking out...too much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, robin!

Anyone else?  Sorry for the shameless bumping of my own thread, but despite the vet's answer I'm still a bit concerned.  She didn't even see the pic, for pete's sake...although, she's generally great so, I don't know.  Sigh.

Anyone see anything like this on their dog?

When does Angell Vets usually respond?  I can't remember what day...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, it's probably nothing.  I freak over every little thing that could be wrong with her.  I imagine the worst immediately.  Thanks. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Just a thought, but could it be a snow or ice burn? I can't tell where exactly on her it is, but if she laid down outside on a piece of ice that could cause it, particularly since it looks like an area that's not covered by thicker fur.

Good luck with it - poor Gracie's had a bit of a tough go lately.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, that definitely could be it - it's in her groin area where there's very little fur.  And, there's no obvious bite mark or anything in the middle.  AND, it's oval, not round like I think it would be if it were a bite.  YAY - good guess.  I'm going with it if it goes away completely - I haven't checked it lately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danj. Show danj's posts

Do you have a humidifier? If not Gracie may have dry skin.

My dogs get spots like yours in the winter months when it gets to dry (from being out in the cold).  Try a little A&D (and i do mean a little) rubbed into the skin.  As dogs tend to lick spots like this you don't want them licking it up so rub it it well and use the least amount to cover the spot.

And don't forget to get a humidifier

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, that's a really good possibility, too, as she spends TONS of time directly in front of the wood stove, and her skin does flake all winter.  We try to get her to spend more time on her bed instead, but that lasts about 10 minutes...she's right back in front of the stove.  And, it's not cold in here, honestly.  68 should be balmy for a lab.

So, if it's still red I'll try A&D, thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Just saw this Kar.  Looks like some kind of contact irriation.  Is it anywhere near where her coat wraps around?  Maybe it chafed?  Or check her balnkets to see if a rogue woodchip or something got stuck in them?  Just watch it, but if it gets worse or seems suspicious, go with your gut and take her in...

Last week Jax cut his foot on the ice and I was so proud of myself for handling it myself - got him home and cleaned up, kept watching it and cleaning it out, no calling the vet.  Well, fast forward a few days and he's picking his foot up and whining on his walks.  Yep, trip to the vet, and depsite my best efforts, infection.  He's now on antibiotics and I have to soak his foot in prescription antiseptic wash 3x a day for a week.  My vet was very reassuring that I was right to have done what I could, but he's a dog and his feet go on the ground and the ground is dirty.  Things happen.  Thank goodness for pet insurance!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poor Jax!  You did well, though, Mom! :) 

Her spot is almost gone.  I guess it was nothing important, after all, just like the vet said.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about being charged for unnecessary vet visits just because I call with a concern.

I've checked for evidence of fleas and found none.  YAY!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

glad to hear it's going away. Looks just like a regular old bump or scrape to me. Max has very short fur, so I've seen this kind of thing on him fromt ime to time. As long as she's leaving it alone, it will be fine! you can always put a little vaseline on it.

if it were a tick bite, it would look like a bull's eye. Max had one once, and it was very distinct.
    Flea irritation would be very raw, hive-ish and probably have some scabs. It's more likely to show up where there's fur, plus she'd be scratching at it like crazy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again, for all the reassurance. :)  She seems fine and, as always, completely unaware of  the panic she caused me.

Max had Lyme?  Scary!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Glad its going away.  Its very reassuring to have a vet that is accessible by phone and can save you office visits.  Ours is the same way by email. 

Good bite guidelines to keep in mind Pink.  Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish our vet was online - I could have emailed her the photos.  Oh, well, I guess it would take a lot more office time to sort through all the emails and not get paid for it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no, he didn't have Lyme, but he did have a big nasty tick bite. the vet said they'll get that bulls eye mark if it's irritated at all- Lyme or no Lyme.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Really?  I thought the bullseye rash was evidence of the Lyme bacteria.  Live and learn!