Stinky dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveMyCats. Show LoveMyCats's posts

Stinky dog

Our dog is a small black lab mix. At times she really gives off a very strong doggy odor. It's like she's suddenly emitting a cloud of smell. We bathe her on a regular basis. Sometimes she can be stinky the day after she has a bath. She doesn't stink all the time but there are times when we can walk into the room and it smells like stinky dog. We keep her bedding clean. Sometimes she gets stinky when she's napping. She's usually not stinky all day just sometimes and not every day. It's not her passing gas - that's a different smell. She gets a clean bill of health at all her check ups. We've had her since she was @ 6 mos old. She's now almost 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Stinky dog

Some dogs have a stronger body odor than others, this is natural.   Bloodhounds for example.

She's a mix, maybe she has some hound DNA in her?

Ps: What are you feeding her, http://vitalanimal.com/kibble-dogs-only/

Just my 2 cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/dog-odor.html  excerpt below, click on link for complete article:

Improper Diet

Low-quality foods (e.g. low-quality dry kibbles) usually are high in carbohydrates (starches) and low in high-quality protein and "good fat", i.e. essential fatty acids. This very often results in bad breath and skin problems in dogs who are fed such foods. If you have not already done so, feed your dog a high-quality natural diet, and supplement it with EFAs (e.g. flaxseed oil, fish oil). Usually you will notice a dramatic change in your dog's skin condition and the bad smell will disappear as well.

Other Medical Problems

Other medical problems that can cause a dog to be smelly include yeast infections, diabetes, kidney failure, and cancers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveMyCats. Show LoveMyCats's posts

She definitely has some hound in her - possibly coon hound. We feed her Blue dog fish flavored food and some canned pumpkin every day. Both help with her skin which tends to be dry. I don't see me preparing special meals for her as I barely have time to cook food for the humans in my family. Read the article in the link. Had to laugh over the comment to pick up any left overs after 15 minutes. That's never an issue with my dog!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I add a fish oil capsule to my dogs meals, cut the capsule first.  I noticed after a couple of weeks that their coats look shinier.