Suddenly Aggressive cat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RRTinDedham. Show RRTinDedham's posts

Suddenly Aggressive cat

Hi,
    I have 3 cats and one of the cats has suddenly become aggressive. To provide a bit of back ground information 2 of the cats are neutered male littermates and are now 7 years old. We introduced a spayed female kitten into the house when they were 4 and it was a very smooth transition and we had never had a problem between the older cats and younger cat in the 3 years since they have been together. We moved more than a year ago and that transition went very smoothly as well. In the past month one of the older cats has suddenly gotten very aggressive with the younger cat. He attacked her scratching her nose and leaving a visible bite mark just below her ear. We took all 3 to the vet to be sure an illness had not triggered this change but they all checked out 100% fine. Nothing in the house hold routine has changed but the attacks keep occurring. We have tried our best to find something in the younger cats behavior that maybe triggering his aggression but have not been able to identify anything that may be causing it. Any suggestions on what we could look for that we may be missing that could be causing this problem?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Suddenly Aggressive cat

I have 2 male cats who are brothers, 2 years apart.  Boo came in as a kitten and him and Tigger were fine.  Then about a year or so ago, (they are now 10 and 8) Tigger, the older one starting attacking Boo, hissing and just going crazy.  I did have some turmoil in my home at the time, so that may have been it, but I also read that Boo may have made Tigger mad and cats don't forget easy.  My solution was to separate them at first, but still wasn't working.  I then decided to spray Tigger with a water bottle every time he hissed or went after Boo.  After a couple of days, I just had to show the bottle and he would run.  They are totally fine now.  Not sure if that would work for you but it lets your cat know you do not approve of the behavior.  Let us know how you make out.  Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with amber, sometimes cats just hold a grudge. I had two cats growing up, and the older one always disliked the younger one. He used to go after her all the time, but luckily she was too quick for him.
    The best thing really is to show the aggressive one that the behavior is not going to be tolerated. Spray bottle or some other kind of correction will help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

7's not old enough to usually have to worry about dementia or the like.  I assume the vet checked sight and hearing?  Did they also do bloodwork to check for thyroid, kidney or liver issues (its not cheap, but all of those will cause behavior changes)?

Assuming all of the above is normal, I agree, pay special attention to the way they interact, and when one starts to show agression use a spray bottle (or even just a firm NO if they respond to that) on whoever is the aggressor.  Do this reguardless of which cat seems to be starting the aggression so they can see its evenly handed out.  May not totally solve the problem, but they will usually learn that the overt aggression isn't allowed and keep it at a level that doesn't cause harm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Terri Bright, M.S. Ed., BCBA, Behavior Analyst and Training Coordinator at the MSPCA-Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center:
    Without careful behavioral analysis and witnessing the behavior first-hand, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly why this behavior is happening. I do commend you for having your pets examined by your veterinarian. It is usually suspected that sudden behavioral changes such as these can originate from a medical cause.

I suggest keeping carefully detailed, written records of exactly what is in the environment when the attacks occur; you may see patterns you are not now recognizing. These patterns could involve time of day, things the female is rubbing in or against, noises, a mild argument with the other male and redirection on the female, or various stimuli that trigger the behavior.

The best general advice I can give is threefold: 1) do not punish the cat for attacking; he may associate the other cat with his being punished; this can increase the aggression; 2) enrich your cat's environment so he has other things to do, i.e. novel toys that will be preferred over biting the other cat; 3) you can train your cats with treats and a clicker to come when called, sit on a mat, etc. and reward positive behavior. There are many YouTube videos on clicker-training for cats; training your cat to do something else will prevent the aggression. The more you can prevent the aggression, the more likely it will decrease over time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxdog09. Show maxdog09's posts

My Shy Dog...

I have a 3 year old Bernese Mtn dog.  I've had him since he was 8 weeks old.  He is very shy around everyone but me.  It is very stressful.  I've started dating a new person and her children (17, 16, 15) are loud and active and this send my dog into a cower.  Slowly he does allow other to pet him but he will cower.  What can I do to improve the situation.  I'm totally stressed and sad to see my other wise sweet dog act afraid around other people.  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you take him outside your home and socialize him when you got him at 8 weeks and ever after, or was he cloistered?  Dogs who aren't socialized as puppies tend to be very shy and afraid of people as full grown because they don't know how to interact with anyone but their owners.  If this is true for you and your dog, I'd suggest talking to a trainer about getting a socialization plan in place.  If it's not true (you've taken him to parks, dog-friendly stores, etc since he was little), I have no idea what the problem might be.  Like Robin said, dogs have different personalities.  He might just be shy.

And, yes, you'll get a lot more responses if you start a new thread dedicated to your question.  This one is old and already answered by Angel Vets.  Not many people are going to check it, now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hopefully he doesn't have the same problem I have.  I can't Start a Discussion or even reply to a post.  Very annoying........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stewartia. Show Stewartia's posts

In Response to Suddenly Aggressive cat: We have 2 cats - brother and sister from same litter -indoor only.  If our female sees another cat outside, she gets crazy and takes it out on her brother if he's anywhere near her.  She is protecting her 'turf' but because she can't get at the other cat she take her aggression out on him.  This is per our two vets and a 'cat therapist'.  They are 12 years old and both fixed.
    [QUOTE]Hi, I have 3 cats and one of the cats has suddenly become aggressive. To provide a bit of back ground information 2 of the cats are neutered male littermates and are now 7 years old. We introduced a spayed female kitten into the house when they were 4 and it was a very smooth transition and we had never had a problem between the older cats and younger cat in the 3 years since they have been together. We moved more than a year ago and that transition went very smoothly as well. In the past month one of the older cats has suddenly gotten very aggressive with the younger cat. He attacked her scratching her nose and leaving a visible bite mark just below her ear. We took all 3 to the vet to be sure an illness had not triggered this change but they all checked out 100% fine. Nothing in the house hold routine has changed but the attacks keep occurring. We have tried our best to find something in the younger cats behavior that maybe triggering his aggression but have not been able to identify anything that may be causing it. Any suggestions on what we could look for that we may be missing that could be causing this problem?
    Posted by RRTinDedham[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts