Last night outside my office window I heard that horrid screaming-yelping noise unique to coyotes. I leapt up and ran hollering and flailing my arms wildly toward the ruckus, not knowing, but hoping, the coyote would be so terrified he would drop whatever was in its clutches. The coyote’s jaws were wrapped around my cat’s head. I came within a foot and finally he released him. The coyote tore up the street as Cosmos ran in the opposite direction toward the wooded lot next to our home. We spent the next several hours searching for him when at long last he appeared dazed and disoriented at the back kitchen door.

He stayed in my lap all night, disappeared briefly again this morning, and them we headed over to North Shore Veterinarian Hosptilal. You could see the two teeth holes near his eye and on top of the skull and Dr. Heaney showed me where the bottom row of the coyote’s teeth had punctured his jaw. He will survive and will hopefully not lose his eyesight or have a brain injury. Doctor Heaney has been out pets’ vet forever–and we love her and the staff at the North Shore Veterinarian Hospital–it was she who stitched Cosmos up from coyote encounter #1, when his belly was ripped open, from the tip of his throat to the top of his pelvis.

Our Cosmos has survived two coyote attacks, near death from ingesting my neighbor’s rat poison, and twelve hours trapped in a lobster pot during a winter storm.

Why would a coyote want a skinny old man cat like ours, without a lick of meat on his bones. They must be very, very hungary. Once they know of an animal, they will pursue it relentlessly. In my discussion with Dr. Heaney about coyote attackes in general, she said that the state agencies don’t even acknowledge that coyotes are killing cats. Why do we all have to live in terror over our pet’s safety. There has to be a solution. Everyone on our street, and the next, and all over Cape Ann, and Massachusetts have lost beloved pets– cats, dogs, chickens, and more. I think the problem is out of control. I’d like to know of any GMG reader’s experience with contacting local, regional or state agencies in regard to coyote attacks.