Tic and Flea drops

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinnyC. Show GinnyC's posts

Tic and Flea drops

My cat absolutly hates it when I try to put the flea/tick drops on her.  She struggles so much I am afraid I will hurt her so she usually wins the battle and goes without the drops. 

My question is, do the drops hurt her?  or is she just being difficult?  She is a bossy little thing.  She goes outside so I am not sure about using a collar on her instead.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Tic and Flea drops

While you are waiting for Angell Vets to respond, my 2 cents.

First of all, please reconsider letting your cat outdoors, do some research, indoor cats can live up to 20 years of age, outdoor cats are lucky if they make it to 5.

If the flea/tick product is recommended by your vet, then NO it does not hurt him.

It is very important that you apply flea/tick preventative monthly on an outdoor cat.

Cats don't get Lyme disease, but they can bring the microscopic deer tick into your home, thereby making you vulnerable to contract the disease.

If you get a flea infestation in your home, it will cost much time and $ to resolve.

Flea/tick collars can get tangled in trees/brush and could strangle the cat...unless they make break-away ones?

Could you put your cat in a carrier once a month and take him to the vet tech to have it applied?

It should only take a minute, maybe you could make a small donation to their stray animal medical fund in exchange.

Negotiate!

Ps: Flea Control: Keep Fleas Out of Your Cat's Life and Yours

I do have one dog that develops a rash from the flea/tick collar, after about a week (so, that's not an option for him!)  but I have not noted any adverse reactions from the monthly drops or collars on any of the other dogs that I have owned.

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

(Off Topic)

Attention Moderator:  Can we have a separate category listing for  "Ask an Angell vet" under Section, Pets.

We had that before, otherwise I think the section is hard to find, for new posters.  Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

If the flea/tick product is recommended by your vet, then NO it does not hurt him.

i disagree with this -- my other dog use to cry and roll around and try to get at the spot where i put the drops -- i know it hurt her - stung, whatever -- not saying don't use it - just saying that is uncomfortable for some animals

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It really bothers Gracie, our Lab.  We use it, anyway, and the burning seems to only last about 10 minutes.  She, too, rolls around obviously trying to get it off before whatever discomfort goes away.  And, if she sees me with the drops she makes a beeline to her crate.  I have to close the door before I get it so she can't retreat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AskAnAngellVet. Show AskAnAngellVet's posts

Hi Ginny, I’m so sorry applying the drops is such a struggle, especially because I do think it is an important preventative measure in both indoor and outdoor cats.  It might be worth trying a different product just in case something about the product you have been using is truly irritating to her skin. Although the overall safety record of veterinary recommended topical flea/tick products is excellent, when I do hear of a side effect in my patients it is typically local irritation at the application site. If that doesn’t do the trick, maybe try wrapping her in a towel “burrito” style to help restrain her comfortably while you apply the drops, or have one of your neighbors help hold her for you if it proves to be a two person job. Lastly, I do hope we can find a topical product (and way to apply it!) that works for both of you since I think they are more effective than collars. Good luck!

Dr. Susan O'Bell, Angell Animal Medical Center

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Flea and Tick Control for Cats

Years ago there were many areas in the Southern United States in which it was basically impossible to effectively protect your pets from fleas and ticks. In these regions, these parasites had grown resistant to the products designed for use on cats. The only effective products were dips or "pour-ons" that were strong, highly concentrated products that were designed strictly for use on cattle. These often made the pets sick and even the owners would often complain of headaches or nausea the first few days following the animal's treatment. Over time, the area containing these more resistant fleas and ticks grew larger, spreading farther north and west.

Flea Life CycleEven in areas of the U.S. where products manufactured for cats were effective, they were messy and had to be utilized frequently. Examples of such products were dips, sprays, shampoos, powder, plastic collars, and others. Depending on the severity of the problem, pets had to be re-treated every week or two throughout the flea and tick season. It consumed a lot of time and effort on the part of responsible owners.

In the last few years this has all changed for the better. Fleas and ticks have never been easier or safer to control than they are today. We only need to treat our pets once a month and the current products are safe for both the pet and his owner. Most prefer to simply run a tiny amount of a liquid directly on the skin behind the cat's head. These are referred to as topicals (e.g. Advantage, Frontline Plus, Frontline and Bio Spot). A second alternative is a once-a-month pill or oral treat such as Program. All of these products have several different ingredients that, depending on the product, may kill fleas and/or ticks that are on your pet or in his immediate environment. Additionally, most also contain growth inhibitors that prevent flea eggs from hatching or immature forms from developing into adults.

Our favorite flea control product for cats is Advantage II for Cats. It is our doctor's recommended once-a-month flea topical for your cat because it stops fleas from biting within 5 minutes, kills 98%-100% of fleas within 12 hours, and is ideal for cats with flea allergy dermatitis. It also helps to prevent tapeworm infection. It comes in an easy-squeeze tube for trouble-free application.

If you have a tick problem in addition to fleas, consider a combination flea and tick control product, such as Bio Spot Defense SPOT ON®. It provides economical monthly protection from a single application to save you money and save your pet from discomfort. Bio Spot® SPOT ON® kills adult fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and mosquitoes. Simply squeeze the pre-measured tube onto the cat's skin at the base of the cat's skull and reapply monthly - it's that easy.

Wondering what active ingredients are in your topicals? Click here to see a list of active ingredients in flea and tick control products for cats.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article_print.cfm?aid=2830

Sections
Shortcuts