What is your opinion on ear-cropping for Dobermans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What is your opinion on ear-cropping for Dobermans?

Our lab is prone to ear infections because of her floppy ears, but we keep it in check with a tea tree oil dog ear cleaner from Only Natural Pet Store online.  It works great preventing ear infections if we use it once a week.  If you're worried about ear infections, they can be prevented with ANY breed if we can with our lab.

I personally wouldn't put her through any surgery which is painful, expensive, and comes with risk of infection or even death that wasn't necessary no matter what the breed is "supposed" to look like.  I figure it was born the way it was supposed to look.

I have no personal experience with Dobermans, but I wouldn't put mine through that.  I had a hard enough time with our dog getting spayed.  There is always risk of a terrible reaction to the anesthesia, infection, etc.

P.S.  I totally underestimated how much I could love a dog until we brought her home.  I wonder if you'll still be considering this after you fall in love with your little guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from juliechrissis. Show juliechrissis's posts

I have had a couple Dobermans.  I am also now good friends with the breeder we got our last puppy from.  I have seen puppies shortly after ear cropping.  It does not seem to bother them much. 

The breeder told me that because Dobermans are such an active breed the floppy ears can get caught and torn easily.  This is in addition to the ear infections they can get. 

I am an animal lover too and would never want my puppy to suffer needlessly.  If it were my puppy I would have the ear cropping done ASAP.  It is easier on them when they are younger and the ear taping process is soooooooo much easier when they are small.

Enjoy your puppy!  They are such a great, sweet breed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blader819. Show blader819's posts

Short of cropping your dogs ears' out of fear that they will get ripped off in a dogfight, I can see no good reason to put your pup through an undeniably painful surgery.  Any surgical procedure carries risks (reaction to anesthesia, post-operative bleeding, infection among others), and ultimately ear cropping in this day and age is done for cosmetic purposes, which by definition makes it unnecessary.

I have to respectfully disagree with the commenter above--there are literally a hundred breeds of dog out there, not to mention all the mixed breeds, with big floppy ears and who are high-energy dogs.  I cannot think of a single time I have ever heard of where a dog has sustained ear damage from merely owning a pair of big ears.  If your dog is going to be running around barbed wire fence constantly, that might be one thing, but I'm going to guess that this isn't the case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our lab DID catch her floppy ear on a barbed wire once in the woods, and it tore about a centimeter on the tip.  She barely seemed to notice it - continued romping and playing like nothing had happened.  DH didn't even know it had happened until he saw the blood when their walk was over.  I washed it and it healed perfectly fine.  I can't even tell which ear it was, now.  Things like that happen - dogs get hurt if they are active just like people do.  I certainly don't wish we had surgically altered her ears so that never would have happened.  And, yes, I know labs never have their ears surgically altered, but aside from the aesthetics, the issue is exactly the same. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I know NOTHING about Dobermans or showing dogs, but I can understand what you're going through as we went through this decision making process about having our dog's tail docked.  I found lots of information online on both sides of the issue, but ultimatley deferred to the breeder as she knew more about the subject than I did and there was a very short window of time in which to make the decision.  

My pup has floopy ears and is a mixed breed prone to ear infections, but like Kar mentioned, they can easily be avoided with simple preventative maintenance.  Just something to think about if that is your main concern.  

If the driving force is the look of the dog - and its OK if it is - then you have to just go with your gut and be prepared to fully commit to the aftercare.  

Either way, good luck with your pup and let us know how things go.  As a first-time dog owner, the information I have received from the posters on these boards has been invaluable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I really don't see much wrong with it if it's done by a licensed vet and followed by proper after-care. I do know that floppy-eared dogs are at a higher risk for ear-infections, so I wouldn't see it as purely cosmetic.

However- Dobermans are susceptable to a rare disorder where their blood is incapable or very slow to clot. If a dog is affected by this disorder, they can bleed to death from any small cut or puncture wound. I would speak to your breeder about it and find out if any of your puppy's relatives have the disease. if they do, I would avoid any unecessary surgeries for obvious reasons. My friend has two dobermans, both from the same reputable breeder, and one has this disease. Poor thing almost died a couple years ago from a cut and it took months and several expensive vet visits to finally heal the wound.
    vonWillibrands disease

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

its purely cosmetic and my opinion animal abuse -- cirumcision doesn't hurt a baby either -- yeah right

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngellVets. Show AngellVets's posts

Answer by Dr. Michael Pavletic of Angell Animal Medical Center's Surgery Service:
    It is important that you are asking yourself these questions before subjecting your future pet to a surgery that will require anesthesia and harbors certain risks associated with any operation. First you should ask yourself if you are considering this operation for cosmetic or medical reasons. At Angell Animal Medical Center we do not perform any surgeries solely for cosmetic reasons or to disguise an imperfection. Cosmetic surgeries, which can include tail docking and ear cropping in dogs and tail myotomy in horses, have no benefits to animals and puts them through an unnecessary surgical risk and discomfort.  There is pain associated with these surgical procedures that may not be fully alleviated with analgesic medications postoperatively. Complications associated with cosmetic ear cropping may include infection, dehiscence, or separation of the surgical closure, necrosis of tissues, and abnormal bending or deviation of the ears postoperatively. Prolonged bandage changes of the cropped ears may be necessary during the healing process, adding to the costs associated with the surgical procedure.

While dogs with floppy ears may be slightly more susceptible to ear infections, this increased frequency is minimal and certainly does not warrant the surgical removal of portions of the ear in all floppy ear breeds. Your companion may never have an ear infection. It is important to note that ear canal infections are also noted in erect-ear dogs. There are also a variety of medications to manage ear infections; there are other surgical techniques used to manage the more problematic ear canal diseases encountered in small animal practice.

I
    t is understood and accepted that surgical procedures normally considered cosmetic may however be performed for valid medical reasons. Examples would be tail docking and ear cropping because of injury or malignancy; orthodonture because of serious malocclusions; or eyelid surgery because of congenital eyelid abnormalities.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomSelectah. Show BoomSelectah's posts

Thanks for your feedback everyone and to AngellVets, it is very much appreciated!  We've decided to keep 'em natural and uncropped...we aren't willing to put her through all that, now we are just counting down the days she gets here like a little kid counting down Christmas!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm so glad for your puppy you decided to forgo this.  Best wishes as you become a puppy mom!  Sounds like you are off to a great start before he even comes home.  He's a lucky boy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Great news Boom.  Sounds like you are at peace with your decision and happily looking forward to bringing him home.  I google-imaged Dobermands and find the floppy eared ones to be great looking dogs. 

In addition to the million other things you have to think about when he first comes home, take some time to get him used to you holding, moving and touching the inside of his ears - it'll go along way toward smooth cleanings.  I learned this the hard way, but now puppy is used to having his ears cleaned once a week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do the same with paws and toes so clipping nails won't be a disaster.  But, I could go on and on with puppy advice...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

In Response to Re: What is your opinion on ear-cropping for Dobermans?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your feedback everyone and to AngellVets, it is very much appreciated!  We've decided to keep 'em natural and uncropped...we aren't willing to put her through all that, now we are just counting down the days she gets here like a little kid counting down Christmas!
    Posted by BoomSelectah[/QUOTE]

Yay!  A friend has a Doberman with natural ears and they are like velvet - so soft and perfect.  It also makes their dog look less intimidating.  Which isn't to say he isn't still somewhat intimidating, he's a 110 pound dog and the black fur really highlights how muscular he is.  So there's no doubt that if he wanted to hurt someone, he could do it easily.  But the natural ears make him look more approachable.  And you get to see all those adorable expressions when they perk their ears up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

Is your dog slated to become a champion? No? Then why do it? Ear cropping is just plain cruel. As a vet said, when a dog comes in and asks for its ears to be cropped, that's when I'll do it. Consider cropping your own ears first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbf581. Show dbf581's posts

Ear cropping and tail docking were done back when the dogs were expected to spend their life fighting. Now days it has accumulated the inertial of being traditional.  It has nothing to do with esthetics or health. As an earlier poster said think about how it would feel to have your own ears cropped.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I wonder - is ear cropping and tail docking any worse than neutering?  Personally, I'd rather have my ears cropped than my testicles removed.

They've been docking tails and cropping ears for hundreds of years with no ill effects.

I've owned or grew up with 5 dogs that had ears and or tails cropped/docked and 3 dogs with no docking or cropping.  I haven't seen any ill effects.

If you think it looks better, then get the ears cropped and the ears docked.  It's your dog, do what you want.

Personnally, I think the decision to select a certain breed is based on how the dog looks (along with other considerations).  If you chose the breed because you liked the look of the dog, then dock the tail and crop it's ears.

If the worst that ever happens to the dog is that it's tail gets docked and ears cropped, then it's a very lucky dog.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

Very good question, great answer from Angell and good decision!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kate1205. Show kate1205's posts

We have a 1 1/2 year old blue doberman at home we rescued from down south when he was a puppy.  We decided not to crop his ears for all the reasons quoted by the Angell vet.  There was no need to put him through a potentially risky and painful surgery, and then annoying posting when he was perfect already.  We get questions all the time because with his ears, tail and grey coloring he looks unusual.  But, he has never had any problems with his ear infections or getting caught on anything.  Congrats on the new addition to your family - and be sure to take lots of pics.  They grow so fast! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chloesmommy. Show chloesmommy's posts

Check out the European laws against ear cropping & tail docking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Try it on yourself, and then decide.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I have to agree with DirtyWater Lover. Especially when you consider the number of breeds that are woefully unhealthy due to their physical attributes, which humans chose for purely cosmetic reasons. Pugs, bulldogs and boston terriers have problems breathing due to their looks, which were bred for a cosmetic preference. Some yorkies, chihuahuas and other small toy breeds can have health issues because huimans have bred them so small for cosmetic preference. Chinese cresteds have dental issues because the same gene that makes them hairless makes for bad teeth, yet they are continually bred to be hairless because people prefer it cosmetically. Pitbulls, rottweilers and dobermans and their mixes are sometimes passed over at shelters because their bred-in cosmetic appearence has made them look intimidating, even though their personalities are sweet. French bulldogs that meet breed standards cannot even procreate naturally due to the way humans have bred them to look, they are too top-heavy and narrow-hipped to properly mount.

And these problems persist because people desire these breeds for their looks. We are drawn to dogs because of how they look.

I understand and appreciate why vets and others would choose to leave their dogs tails and ears in their "natural state" (can we really call it that after so many decades of selective breeding?). But I'm not going to judge anyone on their choice if they do choose to alter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

There are far worse things than cropping and docking.

Breeding pugs to the point where they suffer curvature of the spine (to get that cork screw tail) and breathing problems (to get that pushed in nose).  Look at the pug today compared to 100 years ago - a very different dog.

Breeding German Shepherds so that they have virtually crippled legs.  The breed standard for German Shepherd calls for a back that slopes downward from the shoulders to the hips.  The hind legs of the German Shepherd are nearly deformed and can hardly support any weight.  As a result, they are no longer capable of performing the function for which they were originally bred.  American and Western European German Shepherds aren't even used for security anymore because of how they've been bred.

There are numerous other similar examples.

Puppies get neutered at 6 months old.  Many have to get baby teeth cut out.  It's routine to have umbilical hernias repaired when they are puppies.  Some dogs get their dew claws removed as puppies.

If I was a dog, I'd rather get my tail docked and ear cropped way before I'd get a dew claw removed, teeth cut out, or testicles removed.

There are some legitimate reasons for docking - without docking of the tail, some dogs, such as the yorkie would get feces all over the tail.  Working dogs with active tails can and do suffer injuries to their tails.  The Italian Grey Hound is an example of a dog that should have it's tail docked if it weren't useful to it's running - there is a high incidence of Italian Grey Hounds suffering broken tails. 

In pure breds, every feature of the dog is there for a reason.  The dogs were selectively bred to achieve the look/functionality, except for the tail.  If docking is not allowed, there is a very strong risk that breeders will start breeding for shorter tails, which will greatly reduce the gene pool for the breed.  this is a very real risk as the gene pool for many breeds is much smaller than it was even 50 years ago.

Regarding ear cropping - I'm not a big fan of breeds that have cropped ears so it's not an issue for me - I'd never get a dog for which cropping was an issue.

Tail docking when the pup is a couple of days old doesn't hurt it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

Tail docking when the pup is a couple of days old doesn't hurt it. 

it has to hurt it -- it has to -- take a knife and cut off anything of yours -- does it hurt

if there is a real medical reason to do it - ok -- if its for cosmetic reasons its mean and abusive -- i think spaying/neutering before a dog is full grown is wrong -- i went through three heats with my pup -- it was not fun let me tell you - but i wanted her to be fully grown and developed before i stopped her hormones from working -- i really wish i could have not spayed her at all but i caved for convenience sake and i feel guilty

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

...some puppies which are docked whilst they are asleep, do not even wake up. After docking, puppies will immediately return to their dam to feed, and there is no evidence that development or weight gain is in any way arrested by the docking procedure.....

If it hurts so bad, why doesn't it cause the puppy to wake up or at least be in too much pain to feed from it's mother? 

And it can't be as bad as a circumcision.

Sections
Shortcuts