Advice/ help re: pit bull dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from as518. Show as518's posts

Advice/ help re: pit bull dog

I'm writing because a dear friend of mine has a pit bull that she rescued from a kill shelter about 4 years ago (I believe the dog is 4 years old), named Reagan.  She's a female pit bull and is aggressive toward most other dogs... she loves her family, but is generally aggressive toward strangers as well.  My friend has been a very caring, consistent caregiver for the dog, but just recently went through a break-up and moved out of her apartment; she is now having a lot of trouble finding housing that will allow her to keep her dog.

Does anyone have any advice about what we could do with her, or how to help find her a good home?  I'm wondering if there are farms or other places in MA or New England that might take a dog like her... so many shelters here in the Boston area are kill shelters, and we are hoping to avoid that.  My friend is worried now that she might have to euthanize the dog to avoid a traumatic stay at a shelter -- very, very sad.  

My husband and I have thought of taking the dog, but wouldn't have enough time to work with her on trust and training.  I feel very helpless, and am trying to help my friend ASAP.

Any advice or ideas you all can offer would be so appreciated!  Thanks very much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog

northeast animal shelter is a no kill shelter in salem, ma -- not sure what their rules are on taking a dog from someone but i would give them a call -- they also do some limited training there to get a dog ready to go to a new home -- has your friend tried any professional training and/or socialization for the dog?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

www.pittieloverescue.org   Framingham mass.   They may be able to refer you to shelters.

www.norfolkcountyhumanesociety.org      781-844-6172    Animals stay in foster homes or with their owner till placed,  I know they have pit bulls.        Let us know which places were helpful for future reference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog:
    [QUOTE]northeast animal shelter is a no kill shelter in salem, ma -- not sure what their rules are on taking a dog from someone but i would give them a call -- they also do some limited training there to get a dog ready to go to a new home -- has your friend tried any professional training and/or socialization for the dog?
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

My sister adopted a 120+ lb Rottweiler from NE Animal Shelter in Salem several years ago.  I am pretty sure you can drop a dog off there.  If they took the ginormous dog my sister took home, I'm sure they'll take a pit bull.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Most no kill shelters require you to make an appointment to meet with you and the pet you wish to surrender,  they prefer the animal is "fixed" and up to date with at least a rabies shot [bring any vet paperwork].

If they determine the pet is adoptable they will accept it.

These places cannot survive and be at your service without donations.

You can't just drop a dog off, if you do they will transport it to the nearest MSPCA or ARL where they will do the best they can,  as they would for any animal that ends up there.

Animal abandoment is considered a misdemeanor in most states.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

re the microchip -- i got my dog microchipped last year when she was spayed and i got a notice this year telling me to pay them $16+ to keep it activated -- i called my vet, who told me that i did not need to pay that - that as long as i had the same phone number anyplace that picked up the pup if she were lost or wherever someone took her if they found her would scan her and call me -- they told me you could update if you wanted to pay the money but if you weren't going anywhere it didnt' matter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Yes,  your right as long as your information remains the same there is no reason to update the microchip,   but when people adopt a dog from a shelter they are told to make the phone call and update/activate [sometimes they don't bother],   same thing with pet shops.  

The Animal Control Officer in my area told me when he scans these dogs that come in,  often the # leads back to the original breeder who tells him the pup was sold to a pet shop or surrendered to a shelter on a certain date and they have no further information.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why would anyone adopt a dog that was known to be aggressive towards other dogs and people, let alone a pit bull with such issues?  No quality shelter would allow this dog to be adopted.  Either find a place that would allow you to keep the dog or take responsibility for it and have it put down.  It would have been one thing had the dog been trained and it's issues dealt with, but they weren't.  It will get either get adopted by some unsuspecting owner or it will spend it's life alone with little human contact (it can't be around other dogs.  it can't be around strangers).  It's more humane to put it down. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NancyP1022. Show NancyP1022's posts

I agree with DirtyWaterLover.  It is grossly irresponsible of anyone to try to adopt out a dog that is aggressive like that.  Are they going to wait until the dog has gotten lose and bitten/disfigured the face of a child? or even killed someone?  Do the right thing.....have the dog put to sleep.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I hope your friend is able to keep looking until she finds a housing option that will allow her to keep the dog.  It will be just another traumatic event in the poor animal's life to be given up by its caregiver now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

The staff at the mansfield shelter is very friendly to pit bulls and will not put down a dog that has a chance of finding a home.  I hope you are able to find a happy solution to this problem!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I shall attempt to avoid being to blunt, but sometimes its impossible.

The whole "dog going to a farm" myth is just that, a myth.  No working farm is going to have TIME (much less interest) to take a dog with known agression issues, they need animals that they can depend on to work, and work well, with other animals without having to spend extra on unplanned training and facilities.  A "farm" that handles rescue animals MIGHT take the dog, but considering its agression issues its unlikely simply because of the time and money handling a dog like that requires.

Unfortunetly very few, if any, shelters are going to take him (or at least, take him and promise not to euthanize for agression) for the same reasons.  With his agression issues he is essentially unadoptable by the standards that most shelters work with, they could be considered liable if they adopted the dog out and it hurt or killed a person or other dog.  Not to mention the time, money, and care required to handle a dog like that while he's in their care in the first place.

Some rescue's MIGHT take him, but only might, because again, he's going to require a ton of extra care, and special facilities to handle.  Most rescue's operate on a shoestring budget with dogs cared for by volunteers till they can be placed.  The volunteer handling this dog would have to have no other pets, AND specialized training on how to handle him.

Unless you get really lucky the various rescue organizations are likely your best bet.  Hit Google (or the search engine of your choice) and start searching for rescues (specifically pitt bull/mix rescues) in the New England area, then start emailing and calling.  BE HONEST and blunt.  Lying about, or even glossing over, the dog's issues will only result in problems down the road for him making it more likely he'll be killed.

I hope for the dog's sake your friend ends up being able to find housing that will allow her to keep him, as it is unlikely he'll find that kind of care elsewhere.

Sorry for the depressing post, but I'm attempting to be honest with you so you can help your friend make the best decision.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

An aggessive dog who can't interact safely with other dogs or people is suffering.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiplesp. Show shiplesp's posts

Also remember, even if the dog is accepted by a no-kill shelter (they are very fussy - generally taking dogs they are confident are adoptable, so there is no guarantee a shelter will take her), if it turns out that the dog cannot be adopted out, there is a good chance she will live her life at the shelter.  Perhaps in a cage (depending on the shelter).  Is that better than death?

As for finding housing that will take the dog, what about purchasing liability insurance to cover the dog?  That may convince a landlord to take a chance.  As it stands, with recent Appeals Court rulings on liability (that a landlord can be held responsible for damage done by a tenant's dog), it's getting very hard to find a spot for a dog, especially that breed and with a history of aggression.

Good luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from incamom. Show incamom's posts

[QUOTE]You could also try:    www.buddydoghs.com     www.sterlingshelter.org     www.foreverpaws.com     BTW:  Any donation you make will be tax deductible,  as these shelters are considered charitable organizations.   Mansfield Animal Shelter 508-261-7339   www.mansfieldshelter.org    They're there Monday-Friday  5:30pm-7:30pm   Maybe they can help.     www.winslowfarm.com    Debra White 508-285-6451     She might have some ideas. 
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from incamom. Show incamom's posts

[QUOTE]You could also try:    www.buddydoghs.com     www.sterlingshelter.org     www.foreverpaws.com     BTW:  Any donation you make will be tax deductible,  as these shelters are considered charitable organizations.   Mansfield Animal Shelter 508-261-7339   www.mansfieldshelter.org    They're there Monday-Friday  5:30pm-7:30pm   Maybe they can help.     www.winslowfarm.com    Debra White 508-285-6451     She might have some ideas. 
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from incamom. Show incamom's posts

I tried to place a pit mix with Buddy dog 5 years ago - they did not then accept pits - maybe they have changed their views since then...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mff272727. Show mff272727's posts

I agree with NancyP1022.  I LOVE pits but if any dog shows that type of aggression towards strangers, then it is just a liability and accident waiting to happen.  I'm sure they love the dog but should do the right thing.  I had adopted a 14 year old yorkie who was mean to everyone and other dogs.  But she had terrible dental problems so most of her teeth, except a few way back teeth, were removed so the threat was minimal.  But with a pit with an aggressive personality, the answer is obvious.  I volunteer at a shelter and there are some wonderful pits  that I would have no problem leaving alone with a child but not this one.  Say your goodbye's and move on.

[QUOTE]I agree with DirtyWaterLover.  It is grossly irresponsible of anyone to try to adopt out a dog that is aggressive like that.  Are they going to wait until the dog has gotten lose and bitten/disfigured the face of a child? or even killed someone?  Do the right thing.....have the dog put to sleep.
    Posted by NancyP1022[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

More information about what the LW means by "aggressive" toward people would be helpful. Does she just bark and act wary around strangers? or does she lunge at people on the street? Bite people?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ls1234. Show ls1234's posts

Do not waste your time looking for shelters.  Go to www.petfinder.com and find resuce groups in your area.  They are looking to adopt dogs on this webuiste, but most rescues have no breed discrimination and would not turn down a dog.  He would go to a foster home and they would try to adopt him out to a family. He would also be happier in a foster home than in a shelter locked away in a kennel.  Is he good with other dogs? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

zenbat, i agree and would like to know more about what she terms "aggressive" -- and miscricket, i look at northeast's website every week to see what dogs are there cause i really want another dog but my husband would kill me and most of theirs are not pits or pit mixes  (mine is a pit bull mix (i think - haven't done the dna test)  i got there - they said it was a lab mix --

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

[QUOTE]First..any animal shelter that allowed your friend to adopt an animal that displays aggression is irresponsible. For the record, I have a friend who owns a pit bull...and she is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met...but any dog who show aggression to people is not adoptable and should not be adopted.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

To be fair to the originial shelter, if the dog is now 4yrs old, and the owner has had it for 4 years then most likely the dog was young enough at adoption that either the aggression wasn't recognized for what it was, or the aggression wasn't as severe at the young age.  Though I'll admit wondering just what effort was put into socializing or training the dog since then if it was adopted at such a young age and still has such issues.  But it does happen and if the owner has successfully managed an aggressive dog with no damage done to other humans or animals then she's doing something right.  Unfortunetly finding this dog someone else who has the time energy and money to win this dog's trust so that THEY can manage the dog successfully is going to be difficult if not outright impossible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ls1234. Show ls1234's posts

I'm sorry I didn't read your post all the way through.  I think this dog can be rehabilitated.  You jsut need to find the right place for him.  All but one of the Michael Vick dogs was too aggressive to rehabilitate.  Contact Best Friends, they took care of the Vick dogs.  Call Rescue INk and ask them for advice.   

He will definitely not last in a shelter.  Many do behavioral assessments, following the teachings of Sue Sternberg, and they have been designed for the dog to fail.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

This is my biggest concern with Pit bulls.  A lot of people get them without fully knowing what they are getting themselves into.  Sure, a lot of pits are great.  One of my trainers has 2 and they are the sweetest things.  But not a lot of people aren't able to identify puppies that have a high potential to be aggressive as adults and when they get an aggressive one, they don't know what to do.  So many people treat their dogs based on how they want them to be and not based on how they are.  I'm as guilty as anyone on this front.  I have a dog aggressive terrier and it took me a long time before I realized there were limits to what I could and could not do with him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar-a. Show mar-a's posts

Check out saveadog.org  Save A Dog in Sudbury. Or try calling the Animal Rescue League!