Advice/ help re: pit bull dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcerPlatanoides. Show AcerPlatanoides's posts

Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog

In Response to Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog:

The heart wants what the heart wants, is why. 

Why are you such an expert in what other people should want to do?

[QUOTE]Why would anyone adopt a dog that was known to be aggressive towards other dogs and people, let alone a pit bull with such issues?  No quality shelter would allow this dog to be adopted.  Either find a place that would allow you to keep the dog or take responsibility for it and have it put down.  It would have been one thing had the dog been trained and it's issues dealt with, but they weren't.  It will get either get adopted by some unsuspecting owner or it will spend it's life alone with little human contact (it can't be around other dogs.  it can't be around strangers).  It's more humane to put it down. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ls1234. Show ls1234's posts

[QUOTE]Check out saveadog.org  Save A Dog in Sudbury. Or try calling the Animal Rescue League!
    Posted by mar-a[/QUOTE]

The ArL is very Pitt friendly, but they are not really a no kill shelter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ls1234. Show ls1234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog : The heart wants what the heart wants, is why.  Why are you such an expert in what other people should want to do?
    Posted by AcerPlatanoides[/QUOTE]

This adopter may have gotten in over his head.  It is heartbreaking how many sweet puppies are given to shelters because people did not take the time to research the work that goes into raising a dog -- especially a special needs dog. I know I couldn't handle aggression issues, but I have a puppy mill survivor who is special needs and I adopted her because I knew she would be hard to place and probably end up as a forever foster.  She is the least aggressive dog in the world but requires alot of patience and attention.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

By farms I assumed the OP meant animal sanctuaries.

Some are sympathetic toward aggressive breeds and will often take animals that are considered unadoptable,  they live out their lives there.

You do have to take the time to find them,  meet with them and be willing to make a donation.  Most of them are located out of state.

Some of the resources I and others have mentioned on this thread may have more information regarding how to contact them.

Having a dog put down is a very traumatic experience for the owner, unless the animal is suffering and needs to be put out of its misery,  I think it is worthwhile for your friend to explore all her options.

Sitting down for an interview with a no kill shelter staff person and letting them evaluate the dog would be a good place to start,  they will be honest with you about what they think would be in the best interest of the dog.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice/ help re: pit bull dog : The heart wants what the heart wants, is why.  Why are you such an expert in what other people should want to do?
    Posted by AcerPlatanoides[/QUOTE]

My apologies.  You're right.  It's perfectly OK for people to adopt dogs that they can't handle and then abandon.  And thanks for sharing - you've contributed so much to the discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pit Bull Mom. Show Pit Bull Mom's posts

If you can take one more post on this...
    I had a small female pit bull for 8 years who was highly dog-aggressive.  She died one year ago and she was the dog love of my life, I'm still not over it.  I adopted her at Buddy Dog when she was about 6 years old.  She had enough personality, affection, loyalty, and joy for a thousand of your average golden retrievers.  So first of all, anyone who flat out believes that aggressive pit bulls should just be killed and no one could possibly love such a dog, and no one should love such a dog, is wrong.  The heart does indeed want what it wants.  If you can't understand that, then I hope you don't have kids, because they can also turn out not quite perfect in the eyes of other people.  Your kids could hurt someone someday, does that mean that your kids should be put down?  Your driving could hurt someone someday, probably already has.
    Don't take this pit bull to the MSPCA or any kill shelter. Not to badmouth kill shelters, they exist because people keep breeding too many dogs for available homes.  It's not their fault.  But they do not have time to deal with such an aggressive pit bull when so many easier pit bulls are waiting for homes.  I volunteered at such a shelter for 15 years.  Don't take her there.
    Try www.pbrc.net. Try Pittie Love Rescue.  What about Brave Heart Pit Bull Rescue?  Villalobos in California?
    And keep looking for an apartment.  Your best bet is to keep the dog.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from catb. Show catb's posts

I can tell you from personal experience that aggression is very hard to treat/train.  I made the difficult choice to put my dog to sleep last year after 8 years of managing her aggression towards dogs and people.  My vet was 100% supportive.  I know this is not the solution you seek, but it makes sense to consult with your vet and get a professional opinion about what your options are.  Good luck.  :-(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marleymr. Show marleymr's posts

In Response to Advice/ help re: pit bull dog:
    [QUOTE]I'm writing because a dear friend of mine has a pit bull that she rescued from a kill shelter about 4 years ago (I believe the dog is 4 years old), named Reagan.  She's a female pit bull and  is  aggressive toward most other dogs... she loves her family, but is generally aggressive toward strangers as well.  My friend has been a very caring, consistent caregiver for the dog, but just recently went through a break-up and moved out of her apartment; she is now having a lot of trouble finding housing that will allow her to keep her dog. Does anyone have any advice about what we could do with her, or how to help find her a good home?  I'm wondering if there are farms or other places in MA or New England that might take a dog like her... so many shelters here in the Boston area are kill shelters, and we are hoping to avoid that.  My friend is worried now that she might have to euthanize the dog to avoid a traumatic stay at a shelter -- very, very sad.   My husband and I have thought of taking the dog, but wouldn't have enough time to work with her on trust and training.  I feel very helpless, and am trying to help my friend ASAP. Any advice or ideas you all can offer would be so appreciated!  Thanks very much.
    Posted by as518[/QUOTE]

Northeast Animal Shelter in Salem, MA is a wonderful, no kill shelter.  Has your friend contacted them? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lpalmer55. Show lpalmer55's posts

[QUOTE]www.miltonanimalleague.org    617-698-0413   M-F  1p-5p  S 10a-4p  no kill shelter               www.bideawhile.org   902-469-9578  Dartmouth  Mass.         www.secondchance.org           www.petfinder.com/shelters/tauntonshelter.html        There are apartments that will allow dogs,  some require an extra deposit and have restrictions, but it's worth a try if your friend really wants to keep her dog.                                                                                                                                          
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Please note that the Milton Animal League is a municipal shelter and can only accept surrenders from residents of the Town of Milton.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neelyse. Show neelyse's posts

I had a pit bull for 12 years and she was the best dog in the world to me but had aggression towards some dogs throughout her life.  Anyways - there is a place in MA that if you are willing to spend the $$ can train your dog.  I promise!  Please try to keep the pitty.  They deserve love too.  This place worked wonders for my friend's unruly dog!

http://www.culturedcanine.com/training.htm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bast27. Show bast27's posts

Try contacting Out of the Pits:  http://www.outofthepits.org/

they can help you if anyone can.  Good luck to your friend!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbowner. Show pbowner's posts

Unfortunately, if this is a dog/people aggressive animal, most shelters will not be able to adopt him out.  I am an owner of 2 Pitties, one being a little people aggressive, so I know that scary feeling of what will happen to them.   As far as "no Kill" shelters, I don't think there really is such a thing.  If there are behavioral issues, they will not be able to adopt him out.    Please try Braveheart Rescue in Lakeville.  Merry runs this and is the best person around for helping Pitbulls in need.  She may be able to help you find someone or give you some direction.   My heart breaks because I know this is probably a great dog once he gets to know you.   As far as you & your husband taking him - even if your giving him a home and love while your there - it may be better than the alternative.    Best of Luck to the Pup!