1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Advice requested

Are we supposed to take pictures of human members of the family, too? (haha!)  I have taken about a zillion puppy close-ups since we picked him up at the airport! 

Kar - I hear you on the instant love.  I was infatuated the second I took him out of the crate, and now I can't imagine what my life would be like without him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Easy, if it makes you feel any better, I have a 12 year old little dog who is starting to lose her hearing too.  It is not at the awful stage yet, but she does get startled and I noticed she barked one day when she was in the living room and was fine when I came in.  I never thought she couldn't hear me. We finally realized she is a little deaf at this point.  She is also arthritic and was having difficulty doing my stairs in my house. I have since down sized to an apartment and she is doing well.  I use the puppy pads but she so far has not used one.  I put it down when I go to work so she knows she doesn't have to hold it.  I know how you are feeling as I went through that really sad stage when she couldn't do the stairs and I had to carry her. It made me feel so sad and it helped a lot writing about it on this board.  I know it is the fact they are old and we won't have them forever that kills us, at least that is what kills me.  I just give her lots more love than normal.  Any time you need to talk about it, we are all here for you..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh Kar and Amber, I know what you mean. Max is six now, and he started going grey in the face at 3. He has so much grey now I can't help but think of him as a little old man. I know he's probably only middle-aged for such a small dog, but I try to remember that my time with him is precious. And yes, I take lots of pictures.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry to hear that, easy!  I dread the day I can relate.

I love DWL's advice about the ecollar.  It won't hurt at all, and it will do the trick nicely to get her attention focused on you.

I was afraid Gracie's spaying was causing a bit of incontenance, so I went to Only Natural Pet and found that they have a number of natural remedies that have a lot of reviews you can read and see which one you might want to try.  Here's the search on dogs/incontinance:Natural Remedies

Best to you and Nowelle, my friend.

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Thanks  everyone.  I'm not depressed by your collective commentary but I am astonished at the level of concern you good people have for someone, and his dog, whom you have never met!  There is still much good in the world, and a fair share of it is right here on these pages.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I was told Shih Tzu's have about 16, so Nowelle and Amber have good years left!  I don't know why I am being a Debbie Downer, she is fine, it is me who hates to see her get old : )  The athritis isn't too bad for Amber, just the stairs bother her and if I think it is really hurting, I give her Dog aspirin and it works great.  I chuckled about the athritis : )  You are right, when Amber gets excited I see my puppy again, when I get excited, I am just happy I can....  LOL! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Thanks everyone. I will be checking these things out.  Ya'know, the deafness bothers me more than the incontinence.  Heck, I've been cleaning up one mess or another for decades, and she's only a little thing anyway.  But it's so sad to see the changes in her due to not hearing.  She's more demanding for attention.  She even barks now when I leave the room sometime, and she'll have a guilty look when I return just moments later.  I think it's because she can't hear us moving around the house and when she can't see us, she feels all alone in the world.  I don't know; maybe it bothers me more than it does her, but I just feel bad about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

So sorry to hear this easy.  I have no personal experience with this stage of a dog's life yet, but if her vision is still OK and she is hearing some, maybe you can try to incorporate hand signals when giving commands so that she has a visual of what you are asking her to do when she can't hear it.  Our trainer taught us to use hand signals until puppy could understand the words, so maybe the reverse will also be true - she'll know the words and will learn the signals?  As for words of affection, lots of pats and scratches and she will know.

I don't know anything about her other issue, so I will defer to those with more experience.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I love that about dogs. They all have a little bit of puppy in them no matter how old they get. Max still has lots of energy, so as soon as he's excited it's like he's a puppy all over again- his whole body wagging and his tongue licking the air. Those moments make me laugh.

In Response to Re: Advice requested:
    [QUOTE]I freaked too Pink when Amber started going grey. She turned grey young too.  I am use to it now.  It is just the little things, the gradual things I notice.  We use to laugh my daughter could never sneak in after curfew because Amber heard her every time. She doesn't hear her at all anymore unless she comes in my room.  She also sleeps A LOT.  But I do see the puppy once in a while and it always puts a smile on my face.  It is so nice to see on this board, puppies, one year olds and senior citizens.  Love this board, I have learned so much.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Thanks Novembride. Her vision still sems to be good, so I have been trying exagerated hand and arm motions to summon her, and provide lavish scratches and patting when she comes. But what's that they say about old dogs and new tricks? It's true so far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Actually, Nowelle has her problems, but is remarkably healthy according to her vet.  I am told that toy poodles routinely last 17 years or so, albeit with problems.  I chuckled about the arthritis comment: I  have arthritis, Nowelle still runs like a puppy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I read something so true Kar. It said "Do not get a pet if you do not expect to grieve for it at some point unless you are old and feel you will outlive your pet".  So I always knew when I got my pets that I probably would outlive them but when you lose them (I have lost 2 cats so far) it is such a different story.  So your feelings are understandable, but you have many good years and memories ahead with Gracie.  I love looking at pictures of Amber when she was younger.  She is in every picture of every party, barbecue etc. I have had.  I do worry about my daughter since she was 14 when we got her and they are very close.  I wish that man stayed and played a bit with Gracie, but probably too painful.  But they are worth every day for sure.  Who else in this world only wants, food, shelter water and love and in return will love and adore you unconditionally for all your and their days?   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Hey Easy
    I don't have any new or different advice, but wanted to send along my well wishes for Nowelle. Getting old stinks!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've not met in person, but our relationships are real.  A face and a "real" name are such a small part of our spirits.  This community is special, and we're all glad you're a part of it.  We will grieve with you when the time comes, and in the meantime rejoice with little victories in Nowelle's precious time left.

Blessings,
    ~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

easy, how are you doing today?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh, she sounds like such a sweet love! Best luck to the both of you. I'm sure she'll adjust to the loss of hearing in time, you can't keep a good dog down. :)

In Response to Re: Advice requested:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone. I will be checking these things out.  Ya'know, the deafness bothers me more than the incontinence.  Heck, I've been cleaning up one mess or another for decades, and she's only a little thing anyway.  But it's so sad to see the changes in her due to not hearing.  She's more demanding for attention.  She even barks now when I leave the room sometime, and she'll have a guilty look when I return just moments later.  I think it's because she can't hear us moving around the house and when she can't see us, she feels all alone in the world.  I don't know; maybe it bothers me more than it does her, but I just feel bad about it.
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amen to that..... I know when the time comes for Amber I will be strong for my daughter and people that know me in person.  But I comforted by the fact I can truly say how devastated I will be with all my friends on the pet board.  Truly unique community.  My blessings to you and Nowelle, Easy...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I am looking foward to having her in all our family photos, too. :)  I was so aware of that saying that when I drove her home from the breeder I thought about how I'd probably be about 48 when she died...I'd only known her an hour but I knew already it would be a terrible experience.

Are we helping you at all, easy?  Probably not... :(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I get sad just thinking that Gracie's first birthday is May 1 - 1/10th of her life probably over.  I know, I'm borrowing sadness from tomorrow (never a good or wise thing!), but sometimes I can't help but think of how sad we'll be when she leaves us.  We met a man on our walk through town yesterday who teared up to pet her saying he just lost his dog 2 months ago.  He seemed embarrassed, but I wish he hadn't been.  He obviously wanted to play with Gracie a bit more but moved along before he wanted to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My fault Easy....  hope I'm not a Debbie Downer.  Just relating to how you are feeling..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I freaked too Pink when Amber started going grey. She turned grey young too.  I am use to it now.  It is just the little things, the gradual things I notice.  We use to laugh my daughter could never sneak in after curfew because Amber heard her every time. She doesn't hear her at all anymore unless she comes in my room.  She also sleeps A LOT.  But I do see the puppy once in a while and it always puts a smile on my face.  It is so nice to see on this board, puppies, one year olds and senior citizens.  Love this board, I have learned so much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Hand signals are great as long as your dog is looking at you.

You could try a collar that vibrates or even an ecollar.  On low levels, the ecollars are more like a vibration than an actual shock.

You put the collar on the dog, with the collar set at it's lowest level.  You hit the button.  You keep raising the shock until the dog's ears move.  Try it on yourself to feel the sensation.

If you use the ecollar, give her a sensation and then stick a treat in front of her nose and lead her eyes to you.  When she makes eye contact, give her the treat.  Keep at it and eventually every time she feels the sensation she will automatically make eye contact.

We had a dog that went blind with oild age.  Luckily, we kept one of her pups for years earlier that would lead her to the back door when she had to go pee.  Unfortunately, she would go where ever she was.

Keep stocked up on "Nature's Miracle" for clean ups.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That helpless feeling is the worst, isn't it?  You just wish you could at least help them understand what's happening...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I found a great resource online: deafdogs.org
    they have some good tips abotu getting the dog's attention:
  25. To get your dog's attention, thump on the floor with your fist or foot or wave. Some people use a flashlight or a laser light (Radio Shack).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

we used to use piddle pads with our dog when he was a puppy. They work really well, they're scented with pheromones to make the dogs want to pee on them.
    as for the hearing loss, I second Novembride, hand signals should help.

• Sections
    Shortcuts