1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Airplane travel with dogs?

American Airlines announced today that heat may be to blame for the deaths of seven puppies in the cargo hold of one of their jets earlier this month. However, a spokesperson said the puppies may have had health issues because 17 other dogs survived the same flight.

Have you ever traveled with your pet on an airplane?  What was your experience like?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Airplane travel with dogs?

7 puppies?!  That's so sad.  Heat obviously would affect the very young or very old dogs more than healthy adults.  It doesn't sound like a reasonable explanation to say because the healthy adults didn't die it wasn't the heat.  Seriously.

We'd never put our lab in a cargo hold.  I realize not everyone has a safe and pleasant kennel available for their dog, but we have a great one that's more like a doggie resort than jail.  She LOVES it there and doesn't even stick around to watch me drive away before she bounds off to play with the others.  She's 85 lbs and highly energetic, anyway - what would we do with her on vacation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've flown with my dog because he's small enought to fit in a carrier and be placed under the seat.
    However, he didn't much care for it so I wouldn't do it again unless it was completely necessary. Same would go if I had a dog that had to ride in the cargo bay. I wouldn't do it unless it was the only way of getting him somewhere. I can't imagine the amount of stress it must cause.

The puppies probably died because they didn't have enough water to get them through the flight. Plus the "shipper" put 14 puppies on a plane at the same time??? sounds like a puppy mill to me. the poor little things were probably too young and sickly to go on any long trip, let alone a flight from OK to IL! I hope they get investigated!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, water, too!  Heat and dehydration...poor little things.

I can imagine Max was wondering why he was stuck under there instead of in your lap!  Awww. :(

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

he was mostly just wondering what all those weird noises, people and feelings were. He was so quiet that no one even knew we had a dog on the plane until the plane landed. I think he had fallen asleep, so the bump when the plane touched the ground scared him and he yelped.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It scares me, too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Puppies in the cargo hold?  17 dogs on a flight.  Wow, that's a lot of dogs.

I'd be relunctant to put puppies in a cargo hold of an airplane.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shelly1211. Show shelly1211's posts

I just flew with my 4 month old shih tzu puppy from Boston to Houston with one connection each way.  He did not like being under the seat in a carrier, but did sleep for some of the trip.  Would I do it again?  No.  I was concerned about him staying home alone during the day while my husband was at work.  Next time I will investigate daycare for him.  The stress of being on a plane was just too much for him.