1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Antlerz

Hi, guys!

Pinkkittie raved about the Antlerz so we got one, and it is as awesome as she said for Gracie, too!  Gracie loves it and it lasted longer than a bone of the same size without splintering (it wears down in tiny pieces).  It was about 5 inches and lasted about a week of daily chewing of about 20 minutes a day.  Good, but not worth $13, exactly.  

Does anyone know of a full sized (or at least longer than 5 inches) antler we can buy for her?  OR, does anyone know if an antler my DH finds in the woods would automatically be safe for her to chew, or can it have diseases or something?

Thanks, Pink, for letting us know about this chew!  

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Antlerz

I have never used Antlerz, but Jax does have an antler chew that he loves and has been working on for months!  I have found them in little boutique-y type stores in NH and the cape, and around here (if you hapen to be in Boston anytime) Fenway Bark sells them in all sizes.  You can't shop Fenway Bark online, but I bet if you called them you could probably do a phone order.  They are really great there.

I love to know about ones found in the woods, too, since my Dad is a hunter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i bought emma an antler at Pet Life in Danvers (i know they have them elsewhere as well) - they told me it was a real antler -- it is very hard and sometimes i think she is going to break a tooth on it but she hasn't yet -- she chews on it at night in bed - better than getting a dirty ball throw at me while i'm trying to sleep -- its about a foot long and really really hard with marrow in the middle -- she has scraped off the dark brown on the outside about an inch down and has gotten about that much marrow from the inside as well -- this is a dog that eats raw bones all the time - not sure if pet life does on line or not -- my guess is that antlers found in the woods would be fine but i'm not sure - but i'm sure november that antlers taken from whatever your dad hunts would be fine

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I think personally I'd scrub down any antlers I found in the woods before giving them to my dog, but the Antlerz (and similer) products are real antlers taken from either a hunted deer or found after the deer sheds them so I don't see why you couldn't give her one you found.

The price of the ones in the stores is part of why I've not bothered to try them with my puppy, I suspect he'd love them, but they're more than I want to spend at the moment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone!  I found some 10" ones online, but they were $26 +shipping (!!!), and given all we're spending on supplments to support Gracie's surgery I'm not up to spending that much.  And, they don't seem to last her as long as some less powerful and determined chewers.  They do last longer than anything else, though, and I've decided to stop giving her marrow bones - she splinters them quite easily into glass-like shards after about 30 minutes.

I wish I could pop into Boston...I miss the city sometimes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Do you have any previous work friends in Boston Kar that you can meet for lunch?  Or maybe do a day trip all for yourself?  I love Boston in the summer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i think i paid $15 for the one i got at pet life in danvers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Antlerz:
    Do you have any previous work friends in Boston Kar that you can meet for lunch?  Or maybe do a day trip all for yourself?  I love Boston in the summer.
    Posted by ambergirl

I do, too.  No worries, though; I had 20 years to either live or pop into the city whenever I wanted.  It was a good run. ;)  My city friends have all long since moved to the 'burbs.  

$15 isn't bad.  Danvers was part of a previous life for me, too...I lived in Beverly for awhile, a long time ago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

doesn't freezing them kill any bacteria?  I don't know much about them, but thought I read somewhere to freeze antlers and marrow bones to kill bacteria?? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Freezing does kill parasites and slows the growth of bacteria but doesn't kill it - my probiotics say to store the canister up to a year in the freezer.  I suppose parasites would be what we'd be worried about, and we do have a big freezer downstairs.  Thanks for the reminder, skip!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

The antlers are Bosco's absolute favorite - I've been recommending them since I discovered them and have bought them for quite a few of his doggie pals who have loved them as well.

If you are in the Watertown area, Grateful Dog Grooming (on School Street near Arsenal Mall) has them in all different sizes and price ranges. It seems they are a bit cheaper than a lot of the prices I've seen listed here - they price them by size/weight but most of the ones I've bought for Bosco have been in the $8-12 range and have lasted him quite a long time.

Kar - I'm not sure I'd give one that I found on the ground to Bosco without boiling it first to kill any little critters that might have burrowed into it. Check with Gracie's vet to see if that would render them safe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks for the tip Bosco - Watertown isn't too far from us and that is a great price range.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

glad you liked them! :) a great alternative for dogs that can't have rawhide. Hooves are great too. I get the ones from Foster & Smith

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thepetman. Show thepetman's posts

I always get my antlers at Pet Supply Outlet. 258 Blanchard rd, Belmont ,MA 617.489.7387. They have all sizes of deer and elk. $32.99 for an xtra large. They are massive at 10-14". Large deer are $19.99. The brand name Antlerz is a company in Texas, which buys antlers from ranchers in the state. The antlers at Pet Supply Outlet come from Illinois in the same manner. They have been sterilized for safety.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, petman.  Welcome to BDC. :)

Sections
Shortcuts