Biopsy needed on dog's paw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Biopsy needed on dog's paw

DH and I returned from a week's vacation on Friday morning and noticed that Daisy (our two year old beage/boston mix) had a bright red, 1 1/2 cm round, "strawberry" looking lump on her back right paw just above her toes. We were able to get a vet appointment for Saturday morning but the vet was unable to tell just by looking at the lump what it is. Her recommendation was to schedule a biopsy (surgery!!) to have the whole lump removed and tested. Our vet does surgery on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and we chose this Friday because we both work and if the surgery is Friday we'd be able to spend the whole weekend with her to monitor her as she'll have a few stitches.

I'm worried now that we should have chosen Monday or Wednesday to do the surgery. The bump grew fast and must have appeared in the last week because we didn't notice it before we left for our trip on 10/14. Daisy stayed at our house with my SIL while we were away and she didn't notice anything either. Do you guys think a few days will make a difference? I'm hoping it's just a histiocytoma and benign but if it isn't I obviously want to get treatment for it ASAP. On Saturday they had slots open for Wednesday so I'm sure if I call first thing Monday morning they'll be able to change it. DH thinks Friday is still the better option because we'll be home with her for the weekend, but I'm being a Nervous Nellie! What to do!?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Biopsy needed on dog's paw

I'm not a vet but it seems to me a couple of days won't make a difference or your vet would have said so,  it sounds pretty localized,  hopefully it's benign.

I mean if you're really worried and want to do it sooner, maybe the vet could keep her at the clinic for a day or two post-surgery, although that might be stressful too.

She'll probably have to wear one of those cone things [dogs hate them] so she won't lick/disturb the stitches,  so I think you have the right idea to moniter her afterwards.

Good luck,  let us know how it turns out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mo, I know this is very nervewracking, but if it grew very fast, it's VERY likely to be some kind of harmless cyst.  I have a pebble-sized one on my foot that appeared overnight, and one of the top of my head, too.  They don't bother me and haven't changed size since they first appeared years ago.

I agree with your DH, Friday is best.  Their bathroom habits get out of whack (especially #2) after anesthesia, and you guys should be there for bathroom emergencies (if nothing else).  Pain meds can cause diarrhea, anesthesia can cause constipation (Miralax worked great on Gracie for that, very gentle and recommended by the hospital).

ETA:  For a cone, should she need one (good for nighttime at least), a Comfy Cone is a necessity - it's soft sided yet effective so it doesn't bang around or chaffe their neck.  Gracie slept like a log in hers and was able to use it very well in her crate (where she insisted on being post-surgery).  They sell them at Petco up to the size I think you'd need.  Here are places you can call to see how much they are and what size you'd need:  CC Distributers by State

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Thanks Dog-lady and Kar. I really appreciate your advice. I'm hoping that it's nothing but we did notice two more tiny, tiny pink bumps on one of her front legs this morning as well so I called the vet to ask if we should bring her in sooner or wait until Friday and they think she'll be fine waiting until Friday and they'll shave all three spots and look at them then.

I'm definitely going to look into the comfy cone, the vet will include a cone in the price of the surgery but it's one of those standard white plastic ones that just can't be comfortable and chances are she'll need to wear it all the time until the stitches come out because she's a licker, must be the Boston Terrier in her.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cancer is not an overnight pop up all over type of thing so I doubt it's that serious.  Not that I wouldn't worry at all about any procedure, though - it's totally natural to be concerned.

Definitely try to get the Comfy Cone before you pick him up from the procedure so he doesn't have to be sent home in the hard plastic one - it was just awful even for a short time.  Gracie wore hers for a long time after the knee surgery, and we were thrilled with it - she didn't seem to mind it, either, bending her head down to help me put it on.  We've used it once since, too, when she ripped her back toenail off.  It holds up well.  Make sure the cone comes to at least the very tip of the dog's nose; before you buy, measure from the collar to the tip of the nose so you know what size you need.  Err on the side of it being too big rather than too small or it won't be effective.

Oh, yeah, we tried the little blue inflatable donut-around-the-neck style, and that appeared like it would work, but she managed to get around it somehow.  And, if you read online reviews you'll see that many other dogs do, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Does it look like this?  Your breed is prone to this  Histiocytoma

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

I found that site too Kar, and it looks a lot like that to me! I mentioned it the vet but she said the only way to be 100% sure that it's a histiocytoma and not something else is to biopsy it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Biopsy is the responsible thing to do.  But if it walks like a duck, sounds like....  Try not to worry.  HUGS!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I would just try the plastic cone before spending any more money,  some dogs can't tolerate the cones no matter how comfortable they are.

I know all the ones I've used have ended up in the trash, not all dogs want to work on the wound, especially after a day or two.

The anesthesia they use nowadays is milder and has much less side effects if any, maybe some mild pain medication for a day or two would be helpful. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, you might not need the comfy cone or even the plastic one.  Gracie didn't need one for her spaying staples at all.

I still suggest buying the CC early, but, taking dog-lady's advice into account, if you do, leave the tags on and see how the plastic one works for you or if you don't need a cone even at night when he's unattended.  If you don't end up needing it, you can return it.  But, if like us, the big plastic one was not working and she did need something, you'll have it.  We suffered through 2 nights of her banging around in her crate with the plastic one because she refused to sleep out on her big living room bed (like we assumed she would) - she stood at her crate door and howled until we let her in.  Then, she woke herself up every time she turned over.  If I'd had the comfy cone ready to go in case we'd needed it we'd all have gotten a lot more sleep those first two nights.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

I think we'll go ahead and buy the comfy cone. Daisy LOVES to lick everything especially when she gets sleepy. She sleeps with us at night and will lick my or DH's arms, legs, whatever happens to be near her while she falls asleep and she has been trying to lick the bump on her foot but we've been stopping her when we can. I'll look around for her plastic cone from the spay surgery (if we didn't throw it away) and try that before taking the tags off the comfy cone. 

The vet also mentioned that they'll send her how with a day or two of pain meds after the surgery.

I'm trying not to freak out about it, but she's definitely our baby and my in-laws recently lost two dogs (one was only 14 weeks old!) so it's hard to not worry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Of course, you'll worry.  I was in a panic over Gracie's little tooth removal...it was really no big deal, but I was so worried.  But, it turned out to be fine, and I'm sure this will, too.

Petco sells the CC up to size large (but call ahead; it's frequently out of stock in certain sizes).  Definitely measure from the collar (the collar goes through loops on the Comfy Cone to help hold it on so that's where the edge will sit) to tip of the nose and then bring the tape measure with you to measure the cone.  You might think you'll be able to determine by sight which one to get, but it's not as easy as that (at least for me).

We needed an XL (although, you probably need a L), and Petco doesn't carry that size.  So we found Maggie's Food For Pets in West Boylston on the website I listed above (choose the middle of the 3 "Massachusetts" listings; there's a mistake on the website - the first one only lists Hamilton, but there are TONS of stores in Mass where you can buy them; all the towns are listed in the second Massachusetts link).  It was a very nice shop...not sure if it's anywhere near you, though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Dogs lick their wounds in an attempt to heal them,  their saliva has antibiotic properties.

if you have a cut or abrasion they instinctively go to work on that too! 

That's what they did in the wild.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My vet told me that was a myth, and that in reality a dog's mouth is actually very dirty and that we should keep them from licking wounds, stitches, staples, etc. because it causes infection despite the presence of IgA antibodies.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/02/licking-wounds/         

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't really know myself, of course, so I can't really agree or disagree.  I'm just saying that when my vet said to keep her from licking her incision to avoid infection, I followed her advice. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080707060853AAntXsO 

The comments are interesting,  they actually support both theories.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's funny that it's so hotly and diversely debated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Despite our best efforts, Gracie got to hers (didn't rip any staples out, thankfully), and nothing happened.  So, who knows!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So, to sum up, it cleans and helps while risking terrible infection. lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It is?  I've never heard that!  I'm curious and will have to find it.

Test?  What test?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lazarus had leprosy and sat "at a rich man's gate" where the Bible says that dogs licked his sores, but it doesn't say anything about it being medicinal.  I can't find another biblical reference, but there could be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts