1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Bones

Hi,  I just need an opinion or thoughts, or whatever you want to give.  I made a ham recently and it was delishious (but that's besides the point),  What I really want to knowis thoughts on when or if it is ok to give a puppy/dog the bone.  Is it bad for them?  What are the negative or positives on this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Re: Bones

Big negative- bones can splinter and get caught in their intestines and stomach. For this reason, I don't even chance it. But, since you asked for the positive side too, there are people who feed their dogs raw diets- which include bones for the nutrient values. I don't know specifically if this includes ham bones though. When in doubt, call your vet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I only give Gracie raw bones because they are less likely to splinter.  I take them away as soon as I hear the tell-tale snap of destruction.  Cooked bones are very prone to breaking and splitting.  I wouldn't do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

No cooked bones!  They can splinter causing the dog to choke,  or lacerate the digestive system. 

ETA:  NO BONES EVER!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

My dogs get uncooked beef marrow bones. They love them and it keeps their teeth clean. They get to keep the bones for a few days and then I get rid of them(the bones not the dogs).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I also give Amber beef marrow bones.  I wouldn't give her any other kind though.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

What are beef marrow bones (sorry for my ignorance)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Freezing the marrow bones kills any parasites that might be in the food.  Someone said that it kills the bacteria, but I don't know about that.

Bully sticks are good.  Make sure they aren't too small for your dog otherwise they'll be able to chew them up pretty quickly.  A stomach full of bully stick doesn't usually sit well and the dog may throw it up.  The only thing the smells worse than a bully stick is one that's been thrown up.  Peeew.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie does vomit bully sticks...they are putrid.

You can ask your grocery store's butcher for marrow bones for your dog if you don't see them in the case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Ok all, thank you so much for the feedback, the ham bones are officially in the trash.  Bella spent about an hour and a half afterwards looking for them though.  She checked all her "secret" hiding spots, then I guess she gave up.  Ok, another dumb question, what is a bully stick, and what is it made of?!?!?!  I am a new puppy mommy and this is alearning curve for me!!! Thanks for your patients with all my dumb questions!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Antlers are another good alternative to bones.  They can be hard to find in stores around here, but you can order them online.  I give my dog moose and deer antlers.  They're good for his teeth, don't smell or stain, and last a long, long time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I had thought they were tendons, but apparently I was wrong.

http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/bully_sticks_made.htm

It's nice to know that every part of the steer is used for something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Also, try beef knuckles.  They are joints.  One of the objectives of the bones, bully sticks, knuckles is to keep your dog occupied.  Something like a knuckle with meat in hard to reach places will keep your dog occupied for a while.

It's good to have a variety of things to give to your dog so they don't get board, particularly when they are left alone.  Give a bone for a few day.  A bully stick for the next few days.  A knuckle.  A Kong willed with stuff on another day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

I second the antlers - Bosco makes short work of every chew toy, isn't crazy about his Kong no matter what I stuff it with and I don't like to give him too many rawhides. They can be hard to find, but if you are in the Watertown area, his groomers - Grateful Dog on School Street near Arsenal Mall - carrry elk antlers. The first one that I bought for Bosco has lasted him a month, which is unheard of for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

Just looked up bully sticks, no way my puppies will get any!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

beef marrow bones, if not in the fresh meat section, look for them in the frozen food section

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Ok, I just read what a Bully Stick is, and I have to agree with Spoogedog, NO WAY!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Emma eats a raw diet - although we cheat and if we have pizza or cooked chicken or whatever she also gets bites - however, i don't give her marrow bones -- they have been known to break the teeth of dogs since they are so hard -- my sister who has an 11 pound dog gives her dog marrow bones because she doesn't try to chew them she just likes the marrow out - emma tries to chew them so she doesn't get them -- i do give her raw chicken necks every day, also lamb stew meat which contains bones, beef and pork ribs with meat on them -- all uncoocked -- she hasn't had any problems with them - a raw diet is more expensive but i believe it is nutritionally better for her - she has gets cooked hambuger with cooked eggs and spinach, squash, sweet potatoes and other veggies even though they say dogs can't process vegetables -- she loves her spinach/hamburger omelletes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Yeah it's gross - but dogs love bully sticks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The grosser the better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

My dog loves Bully sticks but they don't love her. Bad after effects!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DiCrane, I tried to answer your personal message to me, but can't because you haven't accepted my friend request that I initiated when you wrote me. 

Anyway, the zinc supplement is working wonders for her pads.  They improved and stayed well about a week after she started it (a week earlier than predicted by the distributor).  The joint formula might be working, but she's still very stiff.  There's no way to know if she'd be worse without it.

Sorry for the OT ramble here, but I can't answer dc's question about Gracie's supplements any other way!

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

Oh my!  I didn't see any friend request. Sorry. I wasn't ignoring you.  Glad to hear some good news.  I haven't used the powder for the joint formula. We get the chewables so I can't compare dosage.  Do you give the max dosage?

In Response to Re: Bones:
    [QUOTE]DiCrane, I tried to answer your personal message to me, but can't because you haven't accepted my friend request that I initiated when you wrote me.  Anyway, the zinc supplement is working wonders for her pads.  They improved and stayed well about a week after she started it (a week earlier than predicted by the distributor).  The joint formula might be working, but she's still very stiff.  There's no way to know if she'd be worse without it. Sorry for the OT ramble here, but I can't answer dc's question about Gracie's supplements any other way! ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's hard to tell; I've been giving her more than "normal" for her weight, but her dog food is for "large breeds" and contains some of the active ingredients in the joint powder so who knows how much she's actually getting.  Wish I could be more help.  I'm kind of guessing.

I'm bad at the whole BDC message process (which I find ridiculous); no worries.  Just wanted to let you know I saw your question and was trying to answer you. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Ok, so I have to confess I've been giving my dogs cooked marrow bones about once a week.  I usually buy a bunch at the grocery store when I think of it and put them in the freezer.  Then I boil them 10-15 mins before giving them to them.  They absolutely love their weekly treat.

After reading these posts about splintering I decided I should try just giving them frozen.  Both of them just looked at me bewildered and wouldn't touch them!  I've never tried giving them anything raw before and they just looked so confused.

What should I do?  Skip the bones?  Continue boiling them just a few minutes?  Maybe they were too frozen and I should let them thaw to room temp?

Sections
Shortcuts