Bringing home new puppy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Bringing home new puppy

Minipup, I hope we are not overwhelming you.  There is a lot of info on this thread, and you will learn most of it anyways as you and Cooper get used to each other.  You will learn what is "normal" for him and you'll have a gut feeling when something is off.  I think Kar said it somewhere - if you ever have a question, come here.  There's not anything out there that someone hasn't dealt with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, we're probably giving you TMI at this point and I promise I'll stop adding to the information overload.

As Kar said: don't worry about remembering all of it. Don't hesitate to post questions if you have them.

Best of luck to you and little Cooper, you'll do just fine.

but I have to ask: He isn't any chance named after Special Agent Dale Cooper, is he?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Here is my 2 cents.  Just love him and enjoy every moment.  You won't be disappointed : )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, if you don't enjoy every moment you aren't a flawed human being, and it doesn't mean you don't love your pup. However, ambergirl is right.  I could have enjoyed those first 6 months a lot more than I did.   I was so wrapped up in doing everything perfectly, I didn't enjoy it much at all, and that's a shame.

Of course, I agree with the others, this is way too much info to process before you even bring Cooper home.  Print it out and forget about it until you need something you remember reading about.  Don't try to memorize it or anything. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I was stressed out the first 6 months too and I think that is normal.  A lot of things I didn't do that is recommended on this site, so glad Amber came out ok!  LOL!  But let me tell you, 12 years (13 in February, Yikes!) later it was all worth it.  We are all just crazy about our dogs : )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Look at her - she came out more than OK!!  She's perfect just like Max, Gracie, Nov's dog (do we have a name?), Cooper, and all our other dear pets represented here!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

you can't be perfect, no one is! I didn't do a few of the things mentioned here, but I did the best I could and put in 100% and Max is now a really well-behaved dog that continues to be a great ambassador for toy breeds everywhere he goes- knocking down those myths about yappiness, anxiety and nipping one person at a time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

I'm the exception to the rule here, but I decided when I brought my chocolate lab puppy home that he would be allowed to sleep on the bed and get up on the furniture. I crated him when I was out of the house and he was fine, but I just didn't want to crate him that much.

I brought him home at 8 wks and he was housebroken by week 12. I agree with others that it was really important to use the same door each time - he still goes and lies down by that door when he needs to go out.

Determine how active your pup needs to be - Labs need a lot of exercise and I try to give him about 5 miles a day through various walks.

I brought him to puppy kindergarten at Petco where he also did his puppy socialization events. I wish I'd done a few one-on-one training sessions before doing the class - since it was at the same place as his playgroups, he tended to view the training classes as playtime as well and it was more of a challenge to keep his attention on the lessons.

I received most of my best suggestions and hints from other Lab owners that I met at the dog park we go to most often. One of the best came when he was teething - you feel very helpless since he's in obvious discomfort - I kept a bag of frozen baby carrots in the freezer and they helped immensely. The cold helps numb the gums but the carrots have enough chewiness to them that it massages them as well.

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff - something will happen every day that will make you laugh out loud!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You are not the exception big puppy.  I also allowed Amber on my bed and furniture and to this day she sleeps with me.  I crated her when I was at work and to help with house training.  After about a year, she showed no interest in sleeping in it, so I put it away.  She has never had an accident in my house since.  Pink, I agree, Amber too knocks away the myths about small breeds.  I told you I had a neighbor who thought I had just gotten her when she was 7 years old.  He couldn't believe she would hang in the yard and not bark.  Thought the little ones were "yappers"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bigpuppy, I think I would have allowed Gracie on the bed had I been single.  She's warm and cuddly, after all.  :)  Your post brings up another good point.  It's up to each individual dog owner what they want regarding the relationship with their dog and what they believe is acceptable behavior.  If it's safe and healthy for the dog and everyone that comes in contact with it, nothing else matters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've always let Max sleep in the bed with me and DH, and I think he'd die if he couldn't sit on our laps while we're on the couch, he's a 100% lap dog.
    I also mostly used the crate for when we weren't home or couldn't keep an eye on him.

but be warned! Max did wet the bed once, and it was awful! it was our fault, he whined and we just told him to lie down, as opposed to realizing it meant he was gonna pe! but it's a possibility when letting them sleep in the bed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes Pink, I remember Amber did that once as a puppy too on my bed.  Can't believe I forgot about that.  But smaller dogs are easier to let sleep with you IMO.  I don't think I would want a big dog on my furniture or bed, so I totally get training a large dog for the crate. But nothing wrong with it if you do.  Like Kar said, I think it is whatever an idividual is comfortable with. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Add Gracie to the "peed in our bed" list!  Yes, we allowed her up there once and just that once.  (It wasn't because she peed that she couldn't go back, but it reinforced my original position - guess who wanted to let her on the bed?!  Hint:  it wasn't me!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yep, us too. I'll raise you one - he's vomited on our bed too, luckily it only hit the comforter which is machine washable! 

Jax [he does have a name other than "puppy" =)] is still allowed on the bed to cuddle and hang out, but goes to his crate to sleep for the night.  He's allowed on the couches and chairs too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Of course advice is overwhelming, but all advice is, and I asked, so I appreciate all of your contributions. I wish I could thank you all individually, but there are so many who have given me such wonderful advice, that I can't keep track of all of you, but I do thank all of you wholeheartedly.

I know things will not be perfect, especially in the first few months of his arrival. It will be frustrating for the both of us. He will be getting used to his new home and being away from his mother and littermates and I will be training him. I know as long as I do the very best I can do, he will turn out to be a great companion. I've already gotten everything I think he needs for at least the first 3 months, and much thanks to you guys!! I have gotten Natures Miracle, puppy shampoo, a slicker brush, stuffed animals, a crate, and many more things to make his transition as easy as possible.

I'm sure I will be back a lot with questions as they arise. The only real thing I am concerned about right now is keeping him warm in the winter when we go on walks and keeping his paws safe, but I got some good ideas from you guys.

Again, thank you for everything, and I promise to post some pictures on Saturday when I get him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

can't wait to see more pictures! best of luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!  Can't wait for the photos and updates.

Does your crate have a puppy divider?  It should be just large enough for Cooper to stand up, turn around and stretch, but not big enough that he can pee/p00 in one corner and go back to sleep in the other.  I spent the first night with Gracie sleeping on the floor next to her crate and she cried and cried and cried, but the second night (and every night thereafter) I slept in our bed - we could hear her from there, and she was OK, just waking up to be let out to pee from then on.  The puppy divider can be moved back until Cooper is full grown and can use the whole crate.

This is the coat we have for Gracie.  I've been very pleased with it, and she seems to like it, too.  Weatherbeeta Coat  It's very easy to put on and off, too - a real plus.  The underside of it is always warm when I take it off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Its going to be so fun having a new puppy - for you and for us! 

We brought Jax home in January and kept him in a sweater all the time, even when he slept, per the vet's advice.  He was only 6 pounds and is very short haired.  It was nothing fancy - I think like $10 at Petsmart.  Then I had fleece-lined coat (again Petsmart) that he wore out in the snow. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Bosco is a snuggler and during the winter I call him my four-legged furnace - better than an electric blanket! I guess I was lucky - he never had an accident once he got the idea about going outside. Labs are notorious chewers, though, and we did have the Great Feather Pillow incident (it looked like a duck exploded on the bed) so needless to say, I now hide the pillows in a spare room when I'm not around. I swear I was still finding feathers 6 months later - it was impossible to get mad at him, though, because he just looked like he was having so much fun sitting in the middle of all that mess! Plus, as has been mentioned here before, I didn't catch him in the act so he would not have had any idea why he was being scolded.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love that story, bigpuppy - I can totally relate!!  I wonder if the scent of the feathers had anything to do with it.  Does Bosco hunt?  Even if not, that bird instinct is something else!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

He's 19 months and still way too easily distracted, so I've never had anyone take him hunting. I'm not sure he'd know what to do with something if he actually caught it. As you know from your Gracie, Labs generally regard everything with 2 or 4 legs as something that is expected to play with them and there's no such thing as 4 food groups for Labs - everything is fair game! But they are the absolute best! Thanks for the coat suggestion - I've had a tough time finding anything big enough for the moose and it seems like Gracie is about the same size, 85 lbs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Amen to all that, bigpuppy! LOL

Although, today Gracie got her first wild bird, a grouse.  She "played" with it, alright.  DH told me "feathers were everywhere" and "I think she broke a couple of its bones..."  She was so proud!  It wasn't DH's doing; they've walked in the woods every weekend for over a year.

Our labs are the same age and size, bp - Gracie was born May 1, 2009.  The WB coats run big.  You'd think that inches are inches, but not quite so.  Gracie's is the 24", and it's still got some room (that hopefully she'll never need).  You'll be so happy with it.  She wore it all last year in the thick woods and snow, and it shows no sign of wear.

Here she is sporting it last year:

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Oh, she's a beauty. I will definitely look for the coat and thanks for the size suggestion. I ended up making his Halloween costume (he was a Tootsie Roll, of course) because even the XL's that I found only went to 65 lbs. I think Bosco and Gracie would be the best of friends.

Here's my smart-aleck when he was about 6 months:

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

He's precious bigpuppy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bigpuppy, what a sweet face he has!  Oh, my, he looked just like Gracie at that age.  A tootsie roll - I LOVE it!  And, yeah, they'd be best buddies, I can tell. :)