1. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Re: Bringing home new puppy

Thank you, Kargiver, for that link, as I bought Cooper his blue coat and it already arrived at my house, this afternoon. I love it. Looks so warm and great quality.

Well, tomorrow is the day. We have prepared as much as we possibly can. Just cleaned the house (for it to be destroyed, jk!). Made sure anything he could potentially chew is out of the way (he will find something, though!). His crate is all ready for him to picked up, his toys are ready for his mother and littermates to play with, so they can pick up the scent. We are so excited, and nervous. We had a nice dinner out as we know that we will have to be home A LOT now to take care of our little guy :)

I will let you know how the first night goes. Please wish us well. Thank you for all of your help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck!!!  The first night will be the hardest, but if you stay strong (which we knwo you will!) it'll be a LOT easier on night #2.  Great idea to let the toys get the scent of his family.  You'll be a great puppy mom; you are already so conscientious and attentive to his needs.  Lucky dog, that Cooper is!!

~kar

P.S.  If you'd like to give Cooper his own thread post-arrival home we can keep this one to refer to people who come later wanting to know "what to do" to prepare for a new puppy.  Can't wait to see the photos and hear all about your escapades with your latest addition to the family!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Good luck! It's amazing how quickly you'll forget what it was like before your precious Cooper!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

How can a 3lb ball of fur consume so much of my love? I've had Cooper for 3.5 hours now and I already have fallen deeply in love with him. He is the most precious thing in my life, besides my family, of course! And what a sweet little boy! He had one accident, but I am blaming myself, because I got him all riled up and excited playing in the kitchen and I think he just had an "oops". So we put him in his crate right after, and he cried for about 1 minute and then fell fast asleep, and is currently curled up in a little ball sleeping away.

When we first got home, we brought him right outside and he peed, so we rewarded him and then he played inside for whole hour before he accident. He is an amazing puppy, so far. I am aware that he is still scared and still getting used to his surroundings, but I am thrilled that he just walked right into his crate and feels safe enough to be sleeping away after a minute.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from revdani. Show revdani's posts

I've always put a new pup's crate next to my bed so that when the whining starts I can stick my fingers in the crate, pup gets a good smell of me and is comforted. Best of luck.  RevDani

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congratulations!!!!  I know, isn't it amazing how much you can love an animal the moment you lay eyes on it?!  Believe it or not, you'll love him even more every day.

Yes, play will trigger their having to go.  But, it's not an "accident" until you've been potty training long enough for him to know what's expected off him and he doesn't do it (like a baby going in its diaper vs. a child going in their underpants).  Until then, it's going to happen.  When it does, put him right outside even though he doesn't have to go anymore.   At his age, 2 months, he can only wait a maximum of 3 hours before having to go out, but usually can go about every hour or two.  Take him out before he hits the edge of his bladder's capability to hold it and use the command of your choice to get him to go.  Also, to save your lawn, take him to the same spot every time so he knows where the potty is.

Also, I started the crate off where it was going to be permanently.  Usually, if a puppy cries at night in its crate, it's not to be comforted, it's because they have to pee and they don't want to mess up their sleeping quarters.  So, you have to get up, and without petting, cooing, or playing, take the puppy directly outside, say "go pee (or whatever)," praise for going outside, and bring them right back into their crate with a little treat for going in the crate.  Then, lights out, back to bed.

ETA:  Actually, my philosophy was to essentially not do anything that you intend to change later so there would only be one adjustment period per habit.  Like putting the crate next to you at first and moving it later causes two adjustments regarding the crate, one with it next to your bed, another when you move it away from you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Can only post a few pictures for now. Cooper's first night was a great sucess! He didn't cry at all and was very comfortable in his crate! Brought him out 3x to go peee, and he did wonderfully. Has had a couple of accidents in the house, but all human caused. Will update more when I have the time.

Hmm, pictures are too large? Will fix it when I can. But boy, is he a cutie pie!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

These are the only two images that aren't "too large" Aren't the best, but they show how tiny he is. He is 3lbs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooooh, how adorable!!!  So happy for you and your early success.  (He'll be "crate trained" long before he's housebroken because it's his natural instinct to not mess up where he sleeps.)  Remember, accidents can only happen after he knows not to go in the house, and he doesn't know yet.

What a cutie pie!!!  If you change the settings on your camera to have less resolution, the pictures will come out with less data and be smaller files.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

what a cutie! I love his fuzzy little snout!
    sounds like you're off to a great start. I know exactly what you mean, dogs are just endless love machines. it's incredible the joy and affection they provide with almost no effort at all!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Is it possible for us to have this many adorable dogs on this thread???  Love, love them : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, he's soooo cute!  And little!  Glad things are going well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Oh, mini-pup, Cooper is adorable! You will love him more each day and he will love you back more!

I once had a contractor working on the house and I asked him if the dog would bother him. He asked if he was friendly and of course, labs are very friendly, so he bent to pet him and gave me the best description I've ever heard - "He's just a big bucket of love!".

He may have been talking about my Bosco but I think it's true of all of our puppies!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bosco's face gives him away as a very loving, attentive pup.  I showed DH his photo, and he said that he looked like a chocolate version of Gracie at that age - he totally does.  So sweet.  Oh, I found a photo of her at that age in the same pose (ETA:  Noticed that was the same one I posted earlier, oops!  Here's a repalcement of her playing with her duck)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

kargiver, i think we've hijacked this thread! you're right, i can't believe how much they look like each other. bosco's about a month older - he's apr. 2, 2009. i'll try again with the photos to see if i can get the entire thing in. it's one of my favorites because it looks like he's smoking a cigar (a stick, of course) and winking at the camera, which is totally his personality. the 2nd one is when he was just a little thing Cooper's age and the 3rd one is him about a month ago so you can see the size of the moose.

minipup - you'll find you actually have 2 puppies at that age. i called them turbo-puppy (when he had so much energy and just wanted to play nonstop) and coma-puppy (when he would just collapse and nap for an hour after the turbo-puppy phase!).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, he's fabulous!  Of course, I'm biased, he's a chocolate version of Gracie. ;)  And, I LOVE the "cigar/wink" picture - you could get a prize for that one.

Oh, yeah, the amazing Coma Puppy!  I forgot about her.  She napped HARD 4 or 5 times a day when she was little.  And, I was purposeful to go about my business and not be quiet, and now she still sleeps through everything.

Yeah, sorry, minipup - bigpup and I have hijacked! Keep your photos coming so yours outnumber ours!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

I really, really don't want to jinx anything, but so far Cooper has been an absolute dream. He is sleeping in his crate right now, BY CHOICE. The door is open and he just went in there on his own, and it is his play time! He has only had two accidents since we took him home (Saturday), he peees, and p00ps he second we bring him outside, and he only whines for about a minute when he actually put him in his crate. The first night he slept like a baby and we had to wake him up to take him out. Last night, same thing. I am in utter shock right now. Maybe I am just lucky? Or maybe he will come out of his shell and show his true colors soon enough? Either way he has been the easiest little guy, ever.

We love him so much :)

P.S. just so sweet how he follows my husband and I around the house...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

In Response to Re: Bringing home new puppy:
    [QUOTE]OMG, he's fabulous!  Of course, I'm biased, he's a chocolate version of Gracie. ;)  And, I LOVE the "cigar/wink" picture - you could get a prize for that one. Oh, yeah, the amazing Coma Puppy!  I forgot about her.  She napped HARD 4 or 5 times a day when she was little.  And, I was purposeful to go about my business and not be quiet, and now she still sleeps through everything . Yeah, sorry, minipup - bigpup and I have hijacked! Keep your photos coming so yours outnumber ours!!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Kagiver about the napping hard...I assume that is very normal for pups so young? Cooper sleeps ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I worry about him, but then I have to realize that he is a baby, and babies need a lot of sleep.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie slept more than she was awake at that age so I wouldn't worry about it.  You'll notice he gradually naps less as he gets older, but some breeds continue to need more sleep than others (not as much as they do as puppies, though).  Just don't be quiet while he's asleep during the day even though it seems like a thoughtful thing to do.  I learned that from a friend with kids - she made her regular amount of noise while her kids napped and reaped the benefits for years.

Congrats, again, on your early success!  He is who he is - he's not going to wake up and suddenly hate his crate.  Your preparedness is a huge part of it.  Puppies can sense if you are confident and in control, and you were well prepared.  He senses that and is relaxed and confident in your ability to take care of his needs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

We have come across our first issue...so I spoke too soon. Cooper has started to nip, or chew on his legs and our hands. When do they start teething? When he does do this, we re-direct him and give him his favorite chew toy and put him in his crate. Any other advice? Why is he chewing his feet/legs so consistently?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We did use some negative correction by shaking a can (or plastic bottle for your little guy) of coins.  The noise not only disrupts/distracts them from bad behavior, it isn't pleasant for them.  I know Pink used a squirt bottle of water for the same thing.  When Gracie was in phases like that, I always had the can within a second's reach (it cant' be out of reach because you need to correct immediately).  Then, redirect.  So, he gets a correction and reward for doing the right thing instead.  Simply redirecting is not as effective of instigating a correction ritual.

You will have issues this whole year (and even beyond).  If you expect it, you won't be disappointed.  Just deal with each issue as it arises quickly and consistently, and you'll fix them as they come up, just like you are now.

I don't think he's teething yet.  Is the skin irritated where he's chewing on himself?  If it's pink you might want to see the vet, again.  Gracie was not prone to do that except when we gave her duck and her feet itched like mad and got all pink and inflamed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The chewing could also be a coping mechanism for stress/anxiety.  He's still adjusting to you, DH, your house, etc.  When Jax was first home he licked his boy parts almost obsessively.  It was a nervous habit/self soothing and stopped after a week or so.

You MUST correct him nipping at you now though.  Puppy teeth are sharp, but adult teeth will hurt even more.  He cannot think its ok to mouth.  This will take time - we still get nipped/mouthed here and there and need to correct it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Bigpuppy, that picture is hysterical and like Kar said, could be in a magazine!  I think Gracies and Bosco make an adorable couple : )

In Response to Re: Bringing home new puppy:
    [QUOTE]kargiver, i think we've hijacked this thread! you're right, i can't believe how much they look like each other. bosco's about a month older - he's apr. 2, 2009. i'll try again with the photos to see if i can get the entire thing in. it's one of my favorites because it looks like he's smoking a cigar (a stick, of course) and winking at the camera, which is totally his personality. the 2nd one is when he was just a little thing Cooper's age and the 3rd one is him about a month ago so you can see the size of the moose. minipup - you'll find you actually have 2 puppies at that age. i called them turbo-puppy (when he had so much energy and just wanted to play nonstop) and coma-puppy (when he would just collapse and nap for an hour after the turbo-puppy phase!).
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

thanks, ambergirl! he is a funny boy ...

minipup, about the nipping - for me it was trial and error. i tried the coins in a jar, but they were never close enough for immediate use. i also tried a spray bottle of water, but bosco thought that was great fun so it didn't work much as a deterrent.

what worked best for me was to very very gently hold his mouth closed for a moment (literally 2-3 seconds) when he would nip and say 'no bite' over and over. it became one of the first commands that he learned.

another one i taught him early on that has proved immensely helpful since is to teach him what a 'time out' is. i figured if it worked for kids, why not try it for the puppy? bosco never liked his crate, and ate too many dog beds to mention, so his 'safe' place is an old carpet remnant (naturally he loves it because it is really ugly!) that he loves to lie on. so that's also his 'time out' place for when he's just too wound up, needs to leave us be at the dinner table, etc.

so those were two of his earliest commands learned - before he went to puppy kindergarten.

about the napping, i wasn't kidding about coma-puppy. when he went down, he was down for the count! they do sleep a lot at first and that will lessen in time. you'll come to appreciate it - it gives you a chance to get some things done around the house without the nosy pup exploring everything!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Oh, big puppy, I do appreciate his napping! I am eating lunch right now while he is snoozing and there is no way I could if he was awake. However, to get him to go to sleep, I had to play HARD with him. I ran him around the den with his toys (starting to figure out that his favorites are anything with ropes), and then we went out into the back yard and ran him around with his leash on. He was obsessed with watching the birds on the bird feeder. We have a deck that only has two steps to get onto it, and he somehow made it up those two steps, but then came toppling down both of them. At first I was a little worried, but I know that puppies need to get "hurt" and a little "b*nged" up to learn their lessons. He whined a little bit when I put him in his crate, but he passed right out and is now out like a light.

Thank you for the tips with the nipping. I think he is just interested in EVERYTHING around him. He chews on his leash, the handle of the camera when I take pictures of him, the corner of his crate, my clothing, my hair, you name it, he chews it.

Please pardon the shoe on the coffee table! I was taking them off so fast so he wouldn't chew the laces (which he was!) Picture of him playing with his favorite rope toy...it has a parrot attached to it.

Sections
Shortcuts