Bringing home new puppy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Bringing home new puppy

The can of coins really worked well for me, but I was super diligent about carrying it around with me to be able to shake it and say a firm "NO!" at the drop of a hat.    I wouldn't add "bite" to the end of the no command.  If you shake the can and say "No", "No" will mean "stop whatever it is you're doing."  That way, when strangers (or other less consistent family members) instinctively say "No" when he does something wrong he'll know what it means without having to hear "no bite," "no jump," "no pee inside," etc.

What a cute photo!!  The toy is bigger than Cooper!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Don't tell the hubby I put him on the couch for 2 seconds to get this adorable shot!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your secret's safe with us!  ADORABLE!!  And, love the avatar photo - so crisp and clear of Cooper's perfectly little face. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree, perfect picture.  Just too cute : ) So fun hearing about the puppy antics.  Kar, can't believe how fast Gracie's first year went!  Seems like yesterday it was you posting her antics.  Your a pro now!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Cooper is giving me a serious case of puppy fever!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know!  I can't believe she's a well behaved grown up, now.  PHEW!  I have to admit I did not enjoy getting her through puppyhood, although, she was a cutie pie that I loved very much from day 1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Minipup, you were getting so many good ideas on this thread, that Bosco thought that Cooper should get a little advice on training his new mom and dad as well ...

Dear Cooper,

You are a lucky puppy. I know how much my mom loves me and she wasn't anywhere near as prepared as your new family is, so that just spells l-o-v-e! I know how strange it can be coming into such a new environment, so I thought it might help you to have a few tips as well.

First off, wolf down your food like you are starving. Even though you are getting what you are supposed to, it will take them a little while to figure that out and in the meantime you will get lots of extra treats.

Be careful when playing with your chew toys and only chew the toys. Human arms are soft and chewy like your toys, but apparently it isn't good to chew on them - who knew? That leads to time outs and they are not fun since no one will play with you during a time out.

Chew the furniture just a little bit. That will get you more toys to chew on instead and who doesn't like more toys?

If you figure out that you are not supposed to have something, so for it at every opportunity. My mom tried to keep shoes and socks away from me, but when she forgot and left some around, it was mine! That led to the best games of keep-away ever! I'm a fast boy and I bet you are, too. The chase can go on for up to 10 minutes before I let her catch me - lots and lots of fun!

Stay away from the feather pillows. i learned this one the hard way (look, mom - snow! and it's not even cold!) and was almost banished from the bed. Everyone that hears the story laughs, but sometimes mom doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, but the last one here is the best - snuggle! There is nothing better in the whole world than snuggling with anyone in your new family. Even when you get big like me, it's still fun to climb up on mom's lap (even though I'm 85 lbs. now and she makes this weird 'ooooof' sound) or curl up when they're taking a nap for a good snuggle.

The most important thing to remember is that however much love you give to your new family, you will get that much love back ten times over!

Love,
    Bosco

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Oh my Gosh, Bosco, so cute!

Dear Bosco,

I am getting friskier by the day! Right now I am going at with my parrot rope toy. I like to have my parents throw it, then I fetch it, but instead of bringing it back to them, I think it is funnier to bring it under the dining room table, and make them get it! I also LOVE to scarf down my food in about 20 seconds! But don't worry, I am a great p00per! I p00p about 15 minutes after my meals, I also go peee everytime they bring me out. I have had a couple of accidents in the house, but sometimes I get so excited, I can't help myself!

I love my crate, but sometimes I just want to play and get sad, so I will whine and cry like little baby, but I notice that they just ignore me, so I decide to just chill out and fall asleep. One of my favorite things is to fall asleep on mom's lap. She is the best tummy rubber. I could have my tummy rubbed all day long.

I am definitely getting more energy and starting to love my new home. When I walk, it looks more like a gallop, but that is ok, I am still really small. Oh, and sometimes I slip on the hardwood floor. People laugh when I do that, I don't know why.

Anyway, I think that is it for now. I am sure I will get into loads more trouble the more I get bigger!!

Love,
    Cooper

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bosco, what a sweetheart you are to share your puppy lessons with Cooper.

Bigpuppy, great editing job for Bosco - SO FUNNY!!!Laughing

And, Cooper, what a polite pup you are to write such a nice note back to your big brother friend.  Minipup - you're quite the editor, too!

Gracie's at a loss for words as Bosco pretty much told Cooper exactly what she would have said!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Big puppy and minipup, I am dying laughing here....  funniest thing ever! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

nipping should be corrected however you can- can of coins, squirt bottle, air horn, etc.
    schnauzers are rodent-catching breeds, so they have a propensity to nip. you're going to have to be really consistent and firm about it.

chewing- that's teething and the fact that smaller breeds have a really strong chew drive. Just keep re-directing. he's attracted to straps right now because it feels good on his gums. kind of like flossing. you can take a rope toy or old washcloth, soak it in water and freeze it. he'll love it!
    I had to do a lot of re-directing with Max as soon as he came home. He'd chew on straps, and even wires!! Watch Cooper around cords and wires.

Cooper is just too cute! he clearly loves his toys! good to hear that he's housetraining like a champ. Be careful about those birds! My aunt's schnauzer figured out how to catch them. Chipmunks too! schnauzers are lightning fast when they want to be.