Brushing Teeth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Brushing Teeth

Can somebdy tell me the easiest way to brush a puppies teeth?  I have the special toothbrush and paste, but all she wants to do is turn it into a chew toy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Brushing Teeth

I find wipes much easier.  Put it over your finger and scrub away the best you can.

I use these, and they do a good job.  I can get rid of the awful salmon oil breath after she has her daily dose with 2 wipes.  A "regular" cleaning with just one.

Tooth wipes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In Response to Brushing Teeth:

Can somebdy tell me the easiest way to brush a puppies teeth?  I have the special toothbrush and paste, but all she wants to do is turn it into a chew toy.
    Posted by bethanyrosevear

Rub a little of the toothpaste on the side back areas and a little on the front, hope you are using the chicken or beef flavored,  rub gently wirh one finger especially the side back areas.

After a few days when she is tolerating that,  graduate to a small soft child toothbrush, wet first [instead of your finger] and do the same,  do this every evening, should not take more than 5 minutes and you will save on professional cleanings.

However some of the small breeds have lousy teeth and need them anyway, but it will definitely help.

Hold her head still and look at the area you are brushing.   The goal is to prevent tartar build up.  

Youtube has some excellent how to videos.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I just give Max those chew toys that are designed to clean teeth, like the mint nylabones with the little nubs all over them and dental rawhides. He's got an incredibly strong chew drive, he spends at least an hour a day just chewing. Every time I bring him to the vet, they always are pleased with how clean his teeth are.

But, if your dog's breed is prone to teeth problems or doesn't care much for chewing, it's much better to brush. an ounce of prevention is better than a $2,000 cleaning!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

The American Veterinary Medical Association has a video available online that demonstrates how to gradually start brushing your pet's teeth, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yNNk2887s. Not sure if it will help with your puppy, but it's worth a try! 

There is also an all natural dental care water additive that is approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council http://www.vohc.org/accepted_products.htm. You just add it to your pet's water bowl and it helps clean their teeth.  I'm not sure if it's okay to use it for puppies but I'm sure if you talk to your vet or email the company they can let you know.  It's called Healthy Mouth https://www.healthymouth.com/dogs/productline. It's an investment, but it's an option if brushing is impossible.

I give you credit for starting a routine of good oral hygiene at home on your adorable little Bella while she's still young.  It's National Pet Dental Health Month and she could be a future poster child for the campaign!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoise. Show illinoise's posts

My vet sells Prescription diet which has a dental food.  I do a 60/40 (reg. food/dental food) mix.  The stuff works awesome.  I quess the way it is made, when the dog bites down it scrapes the stuff off their teeth.  Dogs love the way it tastes too.  My dog actually will take it as a treat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My vet told me crunchy food being dental care is a myth saying that no matter how crunchy it is or how the company claims it scales teeth, it gets soft when it's chewed and causes plaque just like any other food.   She didn't endorse any "teeth cleaning" food.  You and your vet might disagree, but there it is, food for thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In Response to Re: Brushing Teeth:
    [QUOTE]My vet sells Prescription diet which has a dental food.  I do a 60/40 (reg. food/dental food) mix.  The stuff works awesome.  I quess the way it is made, when the dog bites down it scrapes the stuff off their teeth.  Dogs love the way it tastes too.  My dog actually will take it as a treat!
    Posted by illinoise[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that dog food helps [especially since your Vet recommended it],  but I would still do the toothpaste and brush routine every evening if your dog will let you,  you really want to prevent that nasty tartar buildup  [see my earlier post in this thread].   It wouldn't hurt to do both.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiplesp. Show shiplesp's posts

My dog's dentist told me that you really only need to brush the top teeth, outside (all other surfaces are regularly swept by the tongue).  You're less likely to get the "chew toy" behavior if you brush those surfaces than if you try to brush the lower teeth or the inside surfaces.  He said the whole thing should take about 20 seconds.

He also told me that feeding "crunchy" foods are good.  So things like carrots and dog bisquits do help.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In Response to Re: Brushing Teeth:

My dog's dentist told me that you really only need to brush the top teeth, outside (all other surfaces are regularly swept by the tongue).  You're less likely to get the "chew toy" behavior if you brush those surfaces than if you try to brush the lower teeth or the inside surfaces.  He said the whole thing should take about 20 seconds. He also told me that feeding "crunchy" foods are good.  So things like carrots and dog bisquits do help.
    Posted by shiplesp

You have to get the sides and back area, that's where the tartar builds up the most. 

I agree crunchy foods are better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from catb. Show catb's posts

Use your one hand to gently hold her mouth shut while you work the toothbrush inside along the outside of the teeth and brush gently.  If you can just brush the outside surface, that will make a big difference.