1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

BugGone

http://www.equinature.com/Products/InsectControl/BugGone.aspx

I love this stuff, especially this time of year when those nasty little black flies come at you while you're walking the dog.

This is in addition to vet recommended heartworm prevention pills, flea tick topicals etc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: BugGone

How does it smell and have you used it on yourself or just the dogs?  As you can imagine our walks can be torture...five miles of trying unsuccessfully to outrun horseflies when it's 80+ degrees, yuck.  I'd almost prefer the winter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I use it on myself (sparingly) and I spray it on the dogs backs and the tops of their heads, I think it helps as a bug deterrent.

The 32 oz bottle can last at least a couple of months, maybe longer.

It smells funny (citronella, neem oil) for an hour or two, but no worse than OFF DEEP WOODS insect repellent (Deet 25%), which I also use (on myself, not the dogs), just not at the same time! 

I tend to use Off at night and early morning when the mosquitoes are out in full force and BugGone the rest of the time, or whatever bottle I happen to grab first!

These are my summertime colognes Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  Summer cologne, love it.  I had a horsefly fly up my nose today. Ugh!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just found a bottle of neem/citronella spray that I'd been avoiding using because of the smell. But, I gave it a try today.  Maybe I didn't use enough, but it didn't seem to repel a thing.  Do you have to bathe the dog in it for it to work?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I just spray it on the dogs back and the top of the head a couple of times a day (more often when it's humid).  About 3 or 4 squirts at a time.

They use in the stables on horses, so it must help.

I don't like to put it where they might lick it off, in case it's toxic when ingested.

I think the nasty smell is what deters the bugs.

I know perfume and perspiration attracts insects, so when people sweat, I don't think anything works that great.   

I alternate it with the OFF, which probably works better but I don't want to put the Deet/chemicals on myself all day long.

I never put Deet on the dogs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - she hates it so much I think she might like bugs more.  I guess I'll suffer since I don't want to have to shower the minute I get home; I walk her at different times during the day whenever it fits my day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

A couple of other ideas:

To make an effective natural insect repellent for dogs that can be applied daily, add five drops each of tea tree oil, citronella oil, rosemary oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil to one cup of water, shake it, and put it in a spray bottle. (This smells great, too.)

Because ticks carry dangerous bacteria, repelling them is a priority. One of the natural repellents that a lot of people have success with is rose geranium oil, which can be applied to your dog's collar. Do NOT use this on your cat, though. They can have a bad reaction to essential oils.

I have to warn you though, I tried one of the natural products (I think it was this one or something similar)      http://www.amazon.com/Sergeants-Natures-Guardian-Sqz-On-40-Pound/dp/B002I34XJ6

Helpful? Yes....but I thought it was even stinkier than BugGone!

ETA:  Bug Spray: What’s Safe? What Works? (for humans)  http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/16/bug-spray-whats-safe-what-works/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

apple cider vinageer - the kind you get at whole foods or trader joes - not pastureized or whatever -- 50% that - 50% water -- shake it up and spray it on - it works - you just smell like salad

Sections
Shortcuts