1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

bully sticks

I am just wondering your thoughts on bully sticks.  I am looking for a good bone for my shih tzu to enjoy.  My vet says stay away fom rawhide and greenies.  My dog has a tendency to get bladder stones so he is limited on what he can eat and swallow.  Does anyone give their pet bully sticks and where can I buy them?  I have never heard of them or seen them in Petsmart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: bully sticks

Sunday, June 05, 2011

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

How did I know Doglady was going to post that article or one similer?  There are no prions in the antlers themselves, only the velvet which is long gone by the time the antlers have been picked up.  Would you like me to repost the relevent documentation again?  I know, you're going to insist that you were only posting it because someone asked about the dog chews mentioned in the rest of the article.  Surely by now you could have come up with information on the rest of such chews without using an article that blatently spreads incorrect information??  Consider it a challenge.

Kat, if you're going to use chews of any kind that are made up of animal products be very carefull which brands you choose, many of them are partially or completely processed in China, or come from meat grown in China, and anything coming out of China, especially for animals, should be considered suspect.  The problems with products from China never went away, only got relegated to "old news" and thus are rarely mentioned.  Keep in mind that just because it doesn't say "Made in China" on the package that doesn't mean that it wasn't made in China, infact, unless the package specifically says where the meat was "sourced" from (which is different than "made") it can say "Made in the USA" and still come from China.

Many dogs (including mine) do like chewing on carrots, so thats a good idea (though it can be messy).  Also consider the stuff-able Kongs, fill them with wet food, or peanut butter, or yogurt, or cheese spread (or a mixture there of) and freeze.  They last much longer when frozen and do a good job at keeping most dogs occupied.

If you're looking specifically for chews that will help keep his teeth clean consider raw bones (such as beef marrow bones or beef short ribs).  Keeping them frozen will eleminate any parasites in the bones, and many raw feeders swear by raw bones for keeping their pets teeth clean.  Just keep in mind for your sake that these are raw meat bones and thus there are certian sanitary requirements to keep in mind.  My pup is only allowed raw bones outside or in his crate where its easy to clean up afterwards.  When he's done for the time being they get picked back up and put back in the freezer.  Note, raw bones are not the same as cooked bones, and you should never give your dog cooked bones as they break differently and can cause problems internally.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kat, we had to take our Lab (powerful chew instinct) to a periodontist (for mucho bucks, by the way) a few weeks ago, and bully sticks are on her very short list of approved chews for dogs.  They are natural, easy to digest (do not cause intestinal blockages), and help keep tarter off dogs' teeth...a primary concern for her practice, of course.  

The only reason we don't feed them to Gracie is that they STINK to the high heavens, and DH can't stand the stench.  She, however, loves them, and I'd give them to her without a second thought if it weren't for the smell.

They are in specialty pet stores everywhere and are not particularly cheap.

By the way, I also learned at that office that bananas cause cavities in dogs because they are very sugary and stick tenaciously to the chewing surfaces of the teeth.

If you don't have a powerful chewer, you can try these.  We got a sample from the periodontist, and it lasted all but 10 seconds with Gracie so we won't use them, but a less voracious chewer might do well with them.  And, they clean the teeth, too - they are called "soft" rawhides because they are actually raw hides that are composite hides, not solid.  I bet a Shih Tzu (sp?) would do great with them.  Tarter Shield Dog Products

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Antlers, antlers, antlers. I can't say enough good things about antlers.  My dog LOVES his. It keeps him busy forever, keeps his teeth clean, and is far less messy and stinky than a bully stick.  I do give him bully sticks though, on occassion, as a special treat.  Antlers are hard to find around here.  I usually get them in the boutiquey type pet stores, or Fenway Bark in Boston also sells them.  I buy the bully sticks at Petsmart.

My dog will also chew on carrots (Ruth is right - gets mesy) or even an apple, although truthfully, he half plays with the apple.

Wahtever you decide to go with, make sure you supervise in case any potentially dangerous pieces break off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, I hate to share this, but that periodontist said that antlers break dogs' teeth, especially the molars.  They are on her "never" list (as are marrow bones, even the uncooked ones).  In fact, her rule was the chew had to be depressable with your fingernail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Really?  Hmm...  Something to think about, but I don't think we'll give them up. 

What else made the short list?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I expect that antlers are alot like raw bones, they're something you have to make up your mind on personally and you have to understand the risks as well as the benefits.  Apollo gets both, but only under supervision.  His breeder has given raw bones to her dogs for (doggy) generations and has never had problems with broken teeth and highly recommends them to the folks who buy her pups.  Maybe it has to do with how early you introduce the dog to the harder objects so they learn how hard they can/cannot chew on them.

We give Apollo apple peices too and he loves them, just make sure you take out the seeds first as to many seeds can be poisonous, especially in smaller animals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber has been getting marrow bones for 13 years and thankfully never broke a tooth and she has tiny teeth.  I agree with the supervision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: bully sticks:
    Really?  Hmm...  Something to think about, but I don't think we'll give them up.  What else made the short list?
    Posted by Novembride

Shoot, I threw it out.  I tossed the antler because after going through one tooth extraction (not caused by the antler) I couldn't imagine going through another, and her business is extractions, root canals, gum surgery, etc - she saw enough problems due to very hard chews to "ban" them.  Everything too hard to deform by your fingernail was out.

The list included the somewhat soft nylon chews (not the very hard "dental" ones) that Gracie has no interest in - many squeak, etc.  Kongs (which she already has and likes) are good as are other treat puzzle toys many of which have gum massaging nobs and grooves. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks for pasing long the info.  Jax tears through all that softer stuff and I end up with a million little pieces everywhere and the "that was easy - what's next?" look from him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for pasing long the info.  Jax tears through all that softer stuff and I end up with a million little pieces everywhere and the "that was easy - what's next?" look from him.
    Posted by Novembride

Yeah, that's why I tossed the list...  Gracie doesn't shred those, but she doesn't like them.  I suppose if she liked them she'd do a number on them in minutes, too.  It's a quandry.

Ruth and dog-lady - I think we ironed out our problem here in the "interesting article thread," and dog-lady, in my estimation, has been respectful including in this thread since then (thanks for responding positively to our grievances voiced in that other thread, dog-lady).  So, Ruth, your comment was uncalled for, I believe.  We've already had it out and with a good outcome for all, let's not put a damper on it...dog-lady hasn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

My vet said chewing on something would keep him busy and awake but said not to give rawhides or greenies.  He suggested the bully sticks.  My dog cannot have any food except what we get from the vet due the bladder stones issue.  No carrots or peanut butter...so kongs are out.  He doesn't get any treats either except for hypo-allergenic from the vet.  He has already had two surgeries for this and I cannot afford another one so I stick to a strict diet. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

www.petco.com                 www.drsfostersmith.com           regarding the bully sticks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

My vet said chewing on something would keep him busy and awake but said not to give rawhides or greenies.  He suggested the bully sticks.  My dog cannot have any food except what we get from the vet due the bladder stones issue.  No carrots or peanut butter...so kongs are out.  He doesn't get any treats either except for hypo-allergenic from the vet.  He has already had two surgeries for this and I cannot afford another one so I stick to a strict diet.  Thanks for your thoughts.
    Posted by kat yubs

Did they give you a canned/wet food or just dry?  If they gave you a wet food you could use a meal's worth in the Kong instead of peanut butter or the like. 

I know I've seen the bully sticks in the stores, but I've never given them to my pup so I'd not paid that close attention to which and when.  Other than whats been suggested its probly going to be a matter of trial and error to figure out what he'll chew on and what he won't.  There are a variety of soft to medium hard rubber chews of various sizes, some of which are flavored/scented and some of which aren't.  My pup will chew on some to the point of killing them and not others, we have a basket of ones he's ignoring in hopes he'll change his mind eventually....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

In Response to Re: bully sticks : Excuse me!   You are not my boss!  As a dog owner for over 30 years, if I think I have relevant information to share I will,  if you respectfully disagree,  all you have to do is post what you believe to be true without saying nasty things about my comments!  I don't do that to you.   Peace     PS: I apologize to the poster for the distraction.
    Posted by dog-lady

Look, at this point all I want is for you to stop quoting that BS about prions in antlers.  Every time you requote it in another thread it becomes yet another hit when someone does an online search on the subject which helps spread the mis-information.  I'm not even arguing that antlers can break teeth, or with the rest of the article.  Is it seriously to much to ask that you stop spreading incorrect information every time someone mentions dog chews??  The question here was about bully sticks, you could have quoted the relevent paragraph on them and linked to the rest of the article for anyone who might have been interested.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

www.especiallyforpets.com They have a few locations and carry bully sticks among  similar treats, despite the article I've never known personally of anyone's dog having an adverse reaction,  and I've heard dogs love them.

I would try them ... since you're limited what you can give him and your vet is recommending it.   I hope he enjoys them!

PS: Often the small independent pet shops have them also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(Ruth, we can't and shouldn't control what other people post.  What we can expect is that everyone is respectful of each other, and dog-lady is being respectful.  So, let's let bygones be bygones, OK?  

Every internet searcher knows that if they get numerous hits in the same forum by the same person from the same article it doesn't make it more likely to be true.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Is it seriously to much to ask that you stop spreading incorrect information every time someone mentions dog chews?? 
    Posted by ruthcatrin

About the author of the article regarding dog chews I posted.
    Dr_RiggsDr. Rex Riggs grew up in Wadsworth, Ohio, near Akron. Dr Riggs is co-owner of Best Friends Veterinary Hospital in Powell, Ohio. He is also on the board of the North Central Region of Canine Companions of Independence, a board member of The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Society and Small Animal Practitioner Advancement Board at The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Riggs lives in Lewis Center, OH with his wife Nancy, their dogs Maggie, and two cats Franklin and Speeder. Outside of work, Dr. Riggs is an avid golfer and enjoys travel and photography.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Ok, one last post and then I'm going to drop it because Kar's right and you're not going to change. 

Vets, even well known ones, can be basing their opinion on OLD DATA, they're human, and no matter how much they try to keep up its very easy to miss out on new studies and data which change the old "known facts".  Which the data about prions in the antlers is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Actually, I said she did change and is respectfully adding her opinions in a rational, direct, way, adding positively to the discussion.  

We might disagree or challenge the information she or anyone else posts, but that's part of a respectful discussion (debate, maybe) that is friendly and informative for all.

As far as her disrespectful habits go, she's stopped doing those things, and we all need to let bygones be bygones for Pets to be fun, again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Actually, I said she did change and is respectfully adding her opinions in a rational, direct, way, adding positively to the discussion.  
    Posted by kargiver

sorry

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No worries all around, I hope. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

Kat, we had to take our Lab (powerful chew instinct) to a periodontist (for mucho bucks, by the way) a few weeks ago, and bully sticks are on her very short list of approved chews for dogs.  They are natural, easy to digest (do not cause intestinal blockages), and help keep tarter off dogs' teeth...a primary concern for her practice, of course.   The only reason we don't feed them to Gracie is that they STINK to the high heavens, and DH can't stand the stench.  She, however, loves them, and I'd give them to her without a second thought if it weren't for the smell. They are in specialty pet stores everywhere and are not particularly cheap. By the way, I also learned at that office that bananas cause cavities in dogs because they are very sugary and stick tenaciously to the chewing surfaces of the teeth. If you don't have a powerful chewer, you can try these.  We got a sample from the periodontist, and it lasted all but 10 seconds with Gracie so we won't use them, but a less voracious chewer might do well with them.  And, they clean the teeth, too - they are called "soft" rawhides because they are actually raw hides that are composite hides, not solid.  I bet a Shih Tzu (sp?) would do great with them.   Tarter Shield Dog Products
    Posted by kargiver

Hi Kar,

Just an FYI, they do make "odor free" bully sticks. They sell them in the dog boutique store where I get my treats for our dog. Don't think you'll find them in PetSmart, etc.  I've never used any though because although our dog loves them, they don't love her!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonchic. Show bostonchic's posts

In Response to bully sticks:
    I am just wondering your thoughts on bully sticks.  I am looking for a good bone for my shih tzu to enjoy.  My vet says stay away fom rawhide and greenies.  My dog has a tendency to get bladder stones so he is limited on what he can eat and swallow.  Does anyone give their pet bully sticks and where can I buy them?  I have never heard of them or seen them in Petsmart.
    Posted by kat yubs

Sections
Shortcuts