1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Cat scratching the carpet

My cat recently decided she likes to scratch a particular spot on our area rug.  I sprayed it with this all natural, organic stuff that is supposed to deter cats from scratching.  It doesn't work (can't remember the name of the product right now).  Anyone have any suggestions?

She has a cardboard scratcher in the room that she loves, but for some reason she still keeps going at this spot on the rug.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Cat scratching the carpet

In Response to Cat scratching the carpet:
    My cat recently decided she likes to scratch a particular spot on our area rug.  I sprayed it with this all natural, organic stuff that is supposed to deter cats from scratching.  It doesn't work (can't remember the name of the product right now).  Anyone have any suggestions? She has a cardboard scratcher in the room that she loves, but for some reason she still keeps going at this spot on the rug.
    Posted by dkb6248

There must be some scent there that attracts her.  Try gently rubbing a Clorox disinfectant sheet over that area - something that will counteract the smell she presently gets.  If all else fails, you could invest in a scratching post that is covered with carpet and bring her to that repeatedly when she heads for the rug.  I'd try the disinfectant wipe first, she won't like the smell of it. and it's a lot cheaper, since lots of times the cats have no interest in the scratching posts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought of the Nature's Miracle, happen to have some under my sink.  Had to use it repeatedly for a couple of weeks after Charlie tormented Cheerio and she got so upset she peed all over herself and my area rug and l.r. floor surrounding it.  Read the directions carefully before using it, you have to test it on an area of the rug first to be sure of color fastness.  Also, I ended up throwing my rug out and concentrating on the hardwood floor where the urine had seemed to seep right down in the cracks, finish and all.  Your case is different, in that you have no urine smell to deal with.  If you have hardwood floors under the rug, be careful and  prop the rug up off the floor to let it dry thoroughly (takes a couple of weeks sometimes, according to the directions).  I'd try the Clorox sheet first, it may be just a surface odor, easier to deal with, that is attracting her.  Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my cat does the same thing, but she alternates spots on the rug and it doesn't deem to be damaging it, so I just let it go.

I'd try the Nature's Miracle first. If that doesn't work, maybe sprinkle some pepper there?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with tt about the scent.  I'd try an enzymatic odor remover like Nature's Miracle.  You have to soak it in, though, so it reaches all the scent source to break it down (all the way to the pad).  You cannot just spray the top of the rug with an enzymatic solution because it needs to reach every part of the source under the surface.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I'd also try just moving something onto that spot for a week or so - she might just move on after the object is moved (put an end table there, or a box, whatever).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Thanks ladies, I will try the clorox wipe first and then nature's miracle.

Sections
Shortcuts