cranial cruciate ligament tear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cranial cruciate ligament tear

Anyone go through this with their dog?  Gracie has been limping all Winter, and we thought it was muscle strain from the deep snow.  She's obviously been free of that obstacle for awhile, but she's still having problems.  We went on vacation, and I asked our kennel owner (dog trainer) to keep an eye on her regarding her back leg.  When we picked her up, she told us she is pretty sure Gracie has a cruciate ligament tear that doesn't hurt but doesn't let her unbend her knee all the way consistently and said we'd need to have it repaired.  Two of her dogs had it and she had great results with Angell and recommended it.

So, we have a vet appointment on Wednesday, but I'm interested to know if any of you have dealt with this problem before and what has been the outcome?  Watching Gracie closely, I think the trainer is right - it's her knee, not her hip.

TIA!

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Re: cranial cruciate ligament tear

I had experience with this about 10 years ago.  I was playing Frisbee with my 7 year old dog in the yard.  She went up to make a catch and let out a screech when she landed.  She settled down pretty quickly but really wouldn't put much weight on the leg.  Since she wasn't in apparent distress I let it go for a few days to see if there would be any improvement.  After several days with no change I took her to the vet.  The vet said the ACL had snapped and no amount of rest would help.

I went ahead and had the surgery done.  Everything went very well.  I think she was only in the hospital 1 or 2 days.  I had to keep her quiet and restrict her from stairs for a couple of weeks.  She made a full recovery and had no further problems for the rest of her life.  She lived to be almost 14. (Yes, I still miss her dearly) I know it was 10 years ago but at the time the cost was about $3,000.  

If Gracie has only a tear, pehaps it will mend without surgery.  I sure hope so!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry she's not with you anymore, but happy to hear she had a great life post surgery.  Keeping Gracie quiet is a challenge and a half, but that's what the crate is for if need be.  2 weeks is nothing out of the rest of her life...thanks, again, for sharing your success story!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh no!  Poor Gracie!  I have no experience with this, and thus no advice to give.  I do have plenty of well-wishes to send her way, though!  Lucky she has a castle of crate in which to recouperate, if necessary.  Keep us posted on what the vet says.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Oh, Kar!  I'm so sorry to hear about this!  Wishing for a good report from your vet...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, friends!!  Will report back Wednesday.  You're all so kind - Gracie says, "Thank you," too, and sends a big hug and kiss your way.  Oh, and here's a towel.  ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

My husky mix needed to have one ACL replaced and while she was recuperating from the surgery, she blew out the other side- requiring a second surgery. While she recovered from both just fine, she was a little stiff for the rest of her life and never was able to run for long distances as she had before surgery. 
    Good luck with your dog!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, Shorty - that's terrible she blew the other leg while recovering from surgery.  That must have been so difficult to handle from many perspectives.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I hope Gracie stays quiet enough to protect the good leg...don't you wish they were verbal?! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

My parents have an older dog that had this problem. My uncle is a vet and recommended conservative treatment (not surgery), as it wasn't a complete tear. The dog is doing just fine now, but also isn't the puppy she once was. It would have been more dangerous for her to have the surgery at her age than not and she manages just fine, though limps a bit after very strenuous exercise (still loves swimming!).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This definitely isn't a complete tear (if it's actually torn at all - I'm just assuming at this point) because she can put her leg down all the way, thankfully.  So, maybe she won't need surgery, after all...thanks, RFBF.

I guess this is more common than I thought - I didn't expect any responses!  Too bad so many of you have dealt with this.

I'm so eager to get to the vet's tomorrow and find out where we stand...no pun intended. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

yep --  my other dog had the surgery on both rear knees -- she tore it in the winter too - sliding on ice/snow to catch a ball -- anyway, first one went very well -- we went to tufts in westboro or somewhere like that - the guy who did it actually is the guy who came up with the surgery -- i liked him at first -- second time we went to him as well -- but this time the other leg didn't seem to heal -- after many visits back and forth he told me that they should take out the plate and screws and i said ok - then he said he wanted to take out the plates and screws for the other leg -- i asked him why because that leg healed up just fine -- first he just said why not, he would two for the price of one but when i said why surgery on a perfectly fine leg he fessed up and  he said that unbeknowst to them, they had  put in faulty plates and screws - that is why one leg wasn't healing and the other leg may in the future have problems -- i was pissed -- just had him take the plates and screws out of the one that wasn't healing -- they wouldn't let you leave the place without paying so i wrote a check and as soon as i got Zoe out of there, i called the bank and stopped payment on it -- they tried to get the money from me, debt collector called me, i just ignored -- then about two years later i get a letter from tufts telling me that the plates and screws they put in my dog's legs were defective and if i came in they would take them out for free -- needless to say, i would stick with angel if i were you -- at the time i did this, my vet in danvers recommended tufts and only two places, tufts and angel, did the surgery -- my dog was 5 whenthis happened - then she died at 7 with what i'm told was cancer -- i'm going say it had to do with this horror show but i'm not sure

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, lukes!  What a dirtbag to have just casually suggested taking the good leg's hardware out, too, without coming clean.  What a terrible experience.  I didn't know they put hardware in - I thought they sewed up the tear.  Ugh, screws and plates for a torn ligament?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here we are on the morning of our vet appointment, and no limp.  First time in 2 months.  I filmed her walking out of her crate this morning so the vet could see her problem at its worst (even yesterday it was pretty pronounced), and NOTHING happened.  I didn't even save the video.  We've been restricting her activity for a week, and I don't know whether to rejoice because it healed her problem or fret because we've rested it to the point where it's not as inflamed but the underlying condition is the same.  Sigh...I'm going to look like a nut at the vet's, but there must be some diagnositic testing they can do without needing a pronounced limp to see if there's a problem, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar - you guys are there now, but no you will not look like a nut.  I'm sue they have other ways of testing.  Its always that way for me it seems - go in for a couch, but don't cough at the appointment and then have a couching fit in th car, right?  Hope it is going well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Nov!  You're right - the doc totally took us seriously, and the video of her favoring her leg on the stairs really helped, too.

Here's what I posted in Chat:

Got back with Gracie with some pretty good news.  She's not a candidate for surgery "yet."  She's being tested for the 4 possible tick diseases since they can cause joints to not heal properly, and she's on "leash rest" meaning she can't be outside unless she's on a leash and then just to go to the restroom.  The doc thinks that if it's a tear it's tiny, and it's probably a bad sprain or muscle pull that should recover if she stays totally off it for these 2 weeks.  This will be roughest on DH who nearly insists on pretending nothing is wrong and playing as usual especially since she's stopped limping so profoundly.  The doc said she is definitely still favoring her left leg, though, by standing with all her weight on her right.

Thanks for all your concern about our "baby!" :)  Oh, and she's down to a healthy, svelt 75 lbs.  Yay!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Great news, Kar!  Sprains can take a long time to heal.  DH still has pains in his ankles from the Thanksgiving sprain.  His Dr said it would have felt beter by now if he had broken it instead.  Go figure.  God luck keeping her rested. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've heard that sprains are worse than breaks, too. Hope your DH totally heals from that eventually.  The thing is, the vet said that with every walk she reinflames it...same with humans, I guess.

DH is not going to be compliant with keeping her on the leash.  It will be stressful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

My dog (the very same one with dual acl surgeries) also got a tick disease- anaplasmosis- just last year. She was limping on one side and the vet did blood work and found this. She was on meds for awhile and it really wiped her out. But, she was a few years older than your dog and fighting cancer at the time, so I think her recovery was not the norm.
    Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, man, Shorty, your poor little dog!  They are testing for all 4 diseases despite the $160 price tag for the titers.  Thanks for making me at least feel like it was worth it, but I'm sorry your dog went through that, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Yes, it's definitely worth it. When the vet told me she wanted to test for the tick diseases, I thought she was nuts b/c of the dog's history with joint problems. But, when it came back positive and could be treated with meds, I was relieved that we weren't looking at surgeries or invasive treatments.
    At the time when my dog was sick, it was quite a blow b/c of all her other issues. But I don't regret a cent we paid for any of her treatments.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I briefly considered forgoing it when I thought of explaining my pricey decision to DH, but what if she has one, like you said?  Having $3000 surgery instead of treating a tick disease would be a terrible mistake, indeed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

I def feel your pain. Vet treatments, healthy dog food and all the rest can certainly add up. But it sounds like your dog is young and otherwise healthy, so imo it's money well spent.

Some of these tick diseases are resistant to vaccines, so I've become very vigilant about checking my dog for ticks at least once a day. This is looking like it's going to be a very ticky summer- I've already found a couple this month and normally this dog doesn't attract a lot of tick. Last summer, I recall pulling no more than half a dozen off him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, the vet said that she's already seen tick borne illnesses this year, and the "Tick Heaven" jar was disgusting.  She's expecting it to be a bad year, too.

I agree, it is money well spent - she is 2 and very healthy and happy.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She's got her rear up to the wood stove, now - I think the heat helps.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

emma has lyme disease -- since i don't do frontline or heartworm pills i was testing her every 6 months for tick borne illnesses and heartworm - last spring it was discovered that she had lyme disease even though she was showing no symptons whatsoever - so we went ahead and got her levels checked -- anything above 60 needs treatment - her level was 60 so she was on antibiotics (even though i hate them) for two weeks - i test her levels more often now - last time her levels were below 60 - actually they were negligible according to the vet - i need to get her in and test her levels again this month as well as do the heartworm and other tick borne illness tests -- i spend a fortune on this dog - but its worth it.