1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Do you let your dog sleep in your bed

Just wondering if people let their dog sleep in their bed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Do you let your dog sleep in your bed

I do. He sleeps under the covers. Always has ever since he was a puppy. But he's small, not sure if I could let a much bigger dog sleep on the bed every night. I suppose it would depend on their bed manners.
    He's not a bed hog, and he knows when to vamoose when DH and I want alone time. And, thankfully this summer he's been sleeping in the living room on the really hot nights all on his own volition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We (meaning DH) let Gracie up on the bed when she was about 20 lbs.  She wasn't quite 100% housebroken and she was too happy and comfy to get down and go out so she peed in the bed.  Of course, she wouldn't do that now, but she's too big to let up there at 80 lbs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

We let him up on the bed to play or rest while we are watching TV at night or getting ready in the morning, and he finagles his way in there to take naps on occasion, but he sleeps overnight in his crate which is at the foot of the bed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

We used to let our dogs sleep in the bed every night.  Now, we rarely do. 

It can create conflict between the 2 dogs plus it's better for them to have practice sleeping in a crate if we have to kennel them.  They like the crates.

We don't even let the dogs on the furniture unless we invite them up.  It helps curb their dominance issues.

I have 2 male neutered terriers.  Same age - luckily one is much stronger than the other.  We occassionally make the mistake of letting the subordinate one get away with too much which ticks off the dominant one.  The dominant one reacts by beating up on the smaller one.  It's hard to watch and the only solution, really, is to respect thier hierarchy.

Sleeping in crates has helped reduce the conflict between the 2. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Crates rule.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I let Amber sleep on my bed too, but like Pink, she is small.  i wouldn't do that with a big dog.  Oh and I also sleep with 2 cats.  Amazing how if I move, they move : )  so not uncomfortable like people would think.  But to be honest, if I was married or in a relationship, that wouldn't happen, they would all be outside my door wondering what happened.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Yep, our 2 beagles sleep in bed w/ us.  I warned DH on day 1 that if we let them up, it would set a precidence & be hard to reverse.  He thought their day had been too traumatizing to make them sleep in the crate (they are miserable if separated, so they share 1 big crate).  So, it was done.
    They are 30lbs each & it really isn't too bad.  Expect in the heat, as during the night they tend to shift and lie on me.  The beagle blanket is a bit much with no a/c.
    That and if we try to sleep in on weekends they will wrestle with each other on the bed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Do you let your dog sleep in your bed:
    I let Amber sleep on my bed too, but like Pink, she is small.  i wouldn't do that with a big dog.  Oh and I also sleep with 2 cats.  Amazing how if I move, they move : )  so not uncomfortable like people would think.  But to be honest, if I was married or in a relationship, that wouldn't happen, they would all be outside my door wondering what happened.... 
    Posted by ambergirl

I find having our cat on the bed is much more of a problem than the dog. The dog moves when we move and keeps himself at the foot of the bed. The cat seems to want nothing more than to sleep directly on top of my head. Yet she still seems surprised that I end up shooing her off the bed every night when she tries it!

Did you know that dogs emit comforting phermones when they sleep, just like cats do when they purr? It's why puppies like to sleep in a pile.
    I once had a friend over who was battling insomnia, and I said "Here, Max will sleep with you tonight. He's like a furry sleep aid." He looked at me like I was crazy but the next morning he said in amazement "The last thing I remember is thinking you were a nut, but then the dog got comfortable snuggled up next to me and I was out like a light!" Worked like a charm. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber loves sleeping next to me and I find if I am restless she is too.  But I can't get her to move only the cats.  So funny how it is the opposite for me!  And I do love (even though it can be annoying) how she will be laying next to me and decide she wants a belly rub in the middle of the night and kicks me!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Do you let your dog sleep in your bed:
    And I do love (even though it can be annoying) how she will be laying next to me and decide she wants a belly rub in the middle of the night and kicks me!
    Posted by ambergirl

that's just too cute!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lad324. Show lad324's posts

Sure do!  And he has learned what the words "sshhh. .... go back to sleep" mean!  Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

It's a regular menagerie in our bed - thank god we have a king sized bed.

Our rottweiler generally sleeps at the foot of the bed between us (although she has been known to creep her way up the bed and share my pillow).  Our big cat sleeps on the pillow above my head and our little cat swaps from my chest to my husband's chest throughout the night.

There's nothing funnier than waking up nose to nose with my dog, seeing her staring at me, she gets this sort of look that says "oh good you're awake because I've been patiently waiting to give you this great big wet doggy kiss!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from justthinking---. Show justthinking---'s posts

Never!  And they're not allowed on the other furniture either. It's 4 on the floor at our house:  if you have four feet, they're all on the floor. 

We do, though, tend to fuss over our 3 dogs & spend a great deal of time on the floor with them. And there are enough dog beds scattered around that they can always find a way to be comfortable.

Love my dogs, but I want to play & share space on my terms. Since the smallest one is almost 50 pounds, things can get a little pushy as it is. No way would I want to deal with the competition for attention & such with them in my bed!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I have a beagle, shockingly enough! lol

I let him into the bed one night as a puppy in a sleep deprived stupor. He had been crying all night for about 10 days from his crate.
    Finally, I just snuggled him and took him to bed with me.

Four years later, he hasnt left. Cute when he was 5 pounds, not so cute at 40.

He does have a nice dog bed, and he knows the command "Go to your bed"

We start off every evening with him in his own bed.

I generally wake up to find him sharing my or DH's pillow and under the covers.

We used to live in a studio, now we live in a one bedroom, so we have no furniture rules. I didnt see how we could limit his space anymore!
    ETA: He is a nice little furnace in the winter though, he keeps me toasty warm and i dont complain!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

We do. We have 2 dogs - about 45 lbs each. One sleeps with us every night - either at the foot of the bed or practically spooning one of us. The other likes her space and sleeps elsewhere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

We let Missie sleep with us if she's been crated for most of the day, if we've been on vacation, or if my husband is working the overnight shift. 

Typically she goes right into her crate when we tell her it's "bedtime", but boy does her demeanor change when I ask if she wants to sleep in the "Big Bed" LOL

She's a 40lb beagle-shepard mix, 11 months old and very much still a baby!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

Our 95 lb Bernese Mountain Dog is one big teddy bear. She OWNS the bed. And I love it.  She makes a great pillow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Bernese Mountain dog?!  They're huge, but I can see how they'd make a wonderful pillow, as well as a great comforter during the winter!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kadyk722. Show kadyk722's posts

When our dachshund was a pup, we tried to crate train her and she cried and cried.  We gave up and she slept with my sons.  She is now 10 years old and when my youngest went off to college, she was miserable if I didn't let her sleep with me while he was away.  

I do not like having a dog in bed with me, especially when she is overweight and SNORES!  I would force her to sleep downstairs on the weekends.

At the end of May, I "rescued' a long haired chihuahua pup from a pet store.  He had never been outside and had lived in a cage his whole life.  I decided to crate him.  The pet store told me to give the older dog everything the pup got.  We still had the older dog's crate, so we set it up with the puppy's crate.

Guess what???  Both dogs sleep in their crates at night and during the day while I'm at work!  (I have a pet person come over for an hour every day to let them out and play with them.)  

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We don't escape her snoring with the crate - she shakes the house from in there!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

One of our 3 dogs sleeps in bed.  He's a small rat terrier, and loves to work his way under the covers to snuggle through the night.

Two other dogs are too large (45 lbs and 90 lbs) to sleep in bed and, fortunately for us, never acquired the habit.  They sleep on blankets on our family room couches; not too shabby an alternative to a bed.

We also cohabitate with two cats that sleep wherever they choose, as long as they are safely away from the terrier.

Amazingly, everyone sleeps through the night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahMSP. Show SarahMSP's posts

For me, it depends - if it matters to the dog, then off they go - if it doesn't matter to the dog, then I am fine with it.

If this is okay: It's summed up well in this short audio clip: On or Off the Bed?
    http://mysmartpuppy.com/services/index.php?c=learning_center3&pid=818

Sections
Shortcuts