1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Do you think cats belong on a leash?

There is a woman in Concord who wants cats on a leash.
    Here is the story:
    http://www.boston.com/community/pets/articles/2012/04/25/concord_woman_proposes_leash_law_to_rein_in_cat_mischief/

Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from morbius. Show morbius's posts

Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash?

Let's actually start enforcing dog leash laws, okay? Seriously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I have to admit that I do find it irritating that our neighbor's cats use our mulch as a litter box.  Although, I actually wouldn't care, but our dog finds these "tasty treats" of mostly undigested cat food (Yum!) and I have to spend the next 30 minutes cleaning her mouth so I can not vomit if she breaths near me, and forget how bad the house stinks after one she's frequented of those buffets.  Totally disgusting.  

BUT, do I want my neighbor to tie up her cat or put it on a leash?  NO!  A thousand times NO. This problem is annoying, but it's part of life.  Oh, well.

I'm glad cat leashes do exist, though, for those owners (and cats) who enjoy a nice city stroll that would otherwise be impossible.  The ones I saw on Chronicle wearing them looked pleased to prance around Boston in style and safety.  But, a law?  Come on!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harrryo. Show Harrryo's posts

My Maine Coon beast was too busy taking care of her birds - by chasing crows off the lawn and into the trees. (even climbing a tree at one point) Lodynsky should be grateful - crows and bluejays like to eat her feeder birds.

This is much to do about nothing. Put the birdfeeder out of reach of the cats - problem solved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Rich people problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm pulled in two directions by this one.  Urban living poses so many more dangers to cats now than 20 years ago when I would let mine roam free.  We back up onto woods and a pond and they had a wonderful day of exploration every day.  Now with so much former woodland being razed and buildings erected, animals that we never saw, are being forced into backyards in search of food, mainly coyotes in this area, who prey on cats and small dogs.  Ideally, a cat would have tall grasses to hunt, and trees to climb.  Unfortunately my cats for the last 20 years, because of dangers posed, from not only wild animals but the increased traffic, spend their days inside.  I did try putting a harness and leash on one of the earlier ones and taking him in the backyard - perhaps I wasn't persistent enough, but that turned out to be a dud.  Inside I do try to provide options for exploration and high places they can jump to. 

Mandatory leashes?  My reasons would be different for voting for that than the woman in Concord, but I'd rather have a leash law for cats (we do have one for dogs) for its own safety, than hear that piercing screaming when the coyote has found its prey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodbrat. Show capecodbrat's posts

I leash my cat only because I don't want to lose him. I take him out for walks around the back yard and it works fine because of his personality--he enjoys it, especially when I am doing yard work. But a law is stupid. Most cats hate leashes. And keeping them indoors may not be feasable for some owners, nevermind the occasional escapees. BTW, how about addressing the stray cat issue? There are at least 6 strays in my neighborhood alone. I have called the Humane Society and their stance is, if you catch one you can bring it in, but they will only rehabilitate kittens. And they will not come and assist you with catching/handling anything. Other countries have catch and release programs, pay people to feed strays, and subsidize sterilation. How about a little humane treatment here?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadaEd. Show CanadaEd's posts

What an absolute idiot, as are you who support her. What's next, caging the crows that take live nestlings, or leashing the racoons that eat the eggs, or perhaps the opossums that raid the bird feeders when you are all asleep inside where all you can hear is your air conditioner units running. Or for that matter during the day when all the birds are singing and you are sealed in your AC cooled homes because the heat and humidity are too much for you to take. Do any of you even begin to understand how important domestic cats are in keeping the mouse and rat populations down surrounding your homes. Why do you think farmers have barn cats

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wonder where you live, CanadaEd, if it's a heavily populated area, and if you own a cat yourself.  My concern is for the safety of my cat, and any other cat trying to dodge speeding cars and packs of prowling coyotes.  I'd rather see them on a leash than have them just "disappear" one day or find them lying by the side of the road by a driver who never even stops.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomervilleFrank. Show SomervilleFrank's posts

We are at the same point with cats as we were with dogs, say, 40 years ago. I remember when people used to let their dogs roam free in the neighbohood (URBAN neighborhood!) but now that's a big no-no. Instead I see throngs of cats that roam free while their owners go off to work. 

There shouldn't be a double standard and cats should not be allowed to roam free.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dp-. Show dp-'s posts

I wonder if an electric fence would keep them out? (or a shock collar?)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dp-. Show dp-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash?:
    [QUOTE]We are at the same point with cats as we were with dogs, say, 40 years ago. I remember when people used to let their dogs roam free in the neighbohood (URBAN neighborhood!) but now that's a big no-no. Instead I see throngs of cats that roam free while their owners go off to work.  There shouldn't be a double standard and cats should not be allowed to roam free.
    Posted by SomervilleFrank[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with pigeons. (They are wild though...) But the general solution in the city is to have beds of nails on your roof and barb wire to keep them out.  If you don't want cats/dogs in your backyard, it seems like we should use similar strategies.

Maybe an electric fence would help? Or a perimeter of some substance that they wouldn't want on their paws.... (tar?)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cillovely. Show cillovely's posts

I used to use a harness and leash trying to train my cats to stay in our yard while outside. Never are they left out if I'm not home, I only let them out becuase I feel bad them being stuck inside all day, when hunting outside is thier natural instinct. Most of them were ok with it, learned to stay around and go out without it now. My youngst cat however would squirm her way right out of it in seconds flat. I finally gave up trying to train her that way but she knows (most of the time) to stick around.

Making it a law however, is absolutely crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a dog with an invisible fence, dp, and it was an intensive training process about a month long that consisted of training her every time she went outside without fail on a leash and armed with the DVD instructions we watched about 3 times before beginngin.  Cats are very smart, as smart as dogs, but I'm not sure if they're predisposed to being receptive to that sort of training.  If you just install it and turn it on, thinking they'll "figure it out" they get scared of the whole outdoors because they can't associate getting shocked with going beyond where they should go and they won't know what to do other than avoid the outdoors forever after.  It happens that way with dogs whose owners don't go through the proper training process.  I don't think that's the answer for cats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChickenFingers. Show ChickenFingers's posts

The safety of your pet is your responsibility, not the town's. In the wild, it is & always should be survival of the fittest. Therefore, if my cat gets eaten by a coyote, I don't blame the coyote, I blame myself.

Next we'll have iguana's on leashes because they eat your grass.

[QUOTE]I wonder where you live, CanadaEd, if it's a heavily populated area, and if you own a cat yourself.  My concern is for the safety of my cat, and any other cat trying to dodge speeding cars and packs of prowling coyotes.  I'd rather see them on a leash than have them just "disappear" one day or find them lying by the side of the road by a driver who never even stops.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChickenFingers. Show ChickenFingers's posts

And if she's so rich, then buy a proper fence!

[QUOTE]Rich people problems.
    Posted by ml26202[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stcatstenor. Show stcatstenor's posts

There is an easy solution to this - put a collar with a bell on the cat.  The sound of the bell will scare the bird of prey away.  Problem solved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]The safety of your pet is your responsibility , not the town's. In the wild, it is & always should be survival of the fittest. Therefore, if my cat gets eaten by a coyote, I don't blame the coyote, I blame myself. Next we'll have iguana's on leashes because they eat your grass. In Response to Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash? :
    Posted by ChickenFingers[/QUOTE]

That's just it, ChickenFingers, the key words are "in the wild".  Domestic cats are not part of "in the wild", they are pets who if left out, become prey of "in the wild" coyotes forced further into habitated areas to hunt for food.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I too think we should maintain the dog leash law first.  You have no idea how many dogs I see running way ahead of their owners.  Big scary barking dogs.  

I love how I get dog p0op in my front yard.  I don't have a dog.  Let's enforce that the irresponsible owner of the dog that does this should have to pick it up. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brownie8754. Show Brownie8754's posts

Really? Cats are hunters, and they will seek out their prey, which includes birds, mice, rats, and other smaller rodents.  The person who is seeking to have a law put on the books requiring neighbors to leash their cats doesn't understand the cruelty of leashing a cat, such as, unlike a dog, if a cat is left alone on a leash they most likely will get tangled up on the leash and strangle themselves.  What is next for this person, kill all predators of birds?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Logical1. Show Logical1's posts

Put a leash on stupidity and leave the cats alone.  Bells on cat collars is the Audubon-approved of keeping birds safe. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmacphe. Show bmacphe's posts

Cats kill hundreds of millions of birds in the U.S. each year according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. They are by far the most common, free-roaming predator in the country. Cats should be kept inside.

By the way, I happen to own a pet tiger. He's big, but he is absolutely safe-really. He does like to chase cats, though, playfully, of course. I don't live in Concord, but if I did is there any reason that my pet should not be allowed to roam freely in the neighborhood. He hates being inside all the time.

Just wondering.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadaEd. Show CanadaEd's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder where you live, CanadaEd, if it's a heavily populated area, and if you own a cat yourself.  My concern is for the safety of my cat, and any other cat trying to dodge speeding cars and packs of prowling coyotes.  I'd rather see them on a leash than have them just "disappear" one day or find them lying by the side of the road by a driver who never even stops.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    I have lived both in rural and urban areas. And have lost both cats and dogs in both. What you are doing to your poor animal is borderline abuse of a wild animal. Do not let the word "domesticated" fool you. In their hearts, cats are still wild hunters who long to be free and stalk game. If you really cared for your cat, you would allow them that freedom with the realization that if something did happen, at least they lived the way they wanted to, not through your will imposed on then and how you think they should live
    You are very selfish and do not really care about the mental health of your poor cat

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintbrendan9999. Show saintbrendan9999's posts

Dogs are better than cats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllisonS. Show AllisonS's posts

Cats running loose are an invasive species. We don't allow any other domestic animals to run free, so why do cats get a pass, especially seeing how damaging they are to the ecosystem? Leash them or keep them inside.

Sections
Shortcuts