Do you think cats belong on a leash?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash?

Canada, I think I would harm my cat more if I let it outside to roam around.  It could get mites, rabies, flees, attacked my some other animal.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmacphe. Show bmacphe's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash? :
    Posted by bmacphe[/QUOTE]

I agree with CanadaEd. I am told that the lifespan of a cat allowed to run free is about half of that of cats that are kept inside. Cat owners are not doing their cats a favor by letting them run free. Didn't I read something in the Globe recently about coyotes prowling in the suburbs of Boston?

By the way, bells on cats are useless as a protective device. Cats prey on fledgings and nestlings that are unable to escape.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think cats belong on a leash?:
    [QUOTE] BTW, how about addressing the stray cat issue? There are at least 6 strays in my neighborhood alone. I have called the Humane Society and their stance is, if you catch one you can bring it in, but they will only rehabilitate kittens. And they will not come and assist you with catching/handling anything. Other countries have catch and release programs, pay people to feed strays, and subsidize sterilation. How about a little humane treatment here?
    Posted by capecodbrat[/QUOTE]

http://www.mspca.org/programs/cat-campaign/feral-cats.html   If people would stop dumping them in the woods when they move maybe there would be less feral cats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from akochan. Show akochan's posts

First of, any bird too stupid to be wary of its surroundings and fly away when a cat is nearby should be dead.  Otherwise it will have stupid baby birds who will perpetuate it's stupidity. 

Secondly,  cats are hunter killers.  That is what they are supposed to do.  If this woman still has birds in the area the cat is able to kill then she has some lazy cats in her neighborhood.  BY now mine would have depopulated the area of all birds, rabbits, mice, voles, moles, dogs, other cats, racoons, skunks, deer, coyotes, grizzly bears, people who want cats on leashes, narwhales, honey badgers, people who want a ban on water bottles, people who walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk like they were British or something, Mac users, and anyone who goes to a church or temple on a regular basis.

If the proposer of this law likes songbirds so much she can go to a pet store and buy some canaries or something and keep them on a leash.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsbell. Show bsbell's posts

yes they should be.  my 85 pound dog almost lost an eye once when a cat jumped from behind a bush while we were walking and attacked him.  so yes there is no reason for a cat to be out loose.  or any domestic animal.  women can vote.  cats can wear leashes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

If you feed the birds you will attract rodents...both will attract cats.

Sure cats should be kept inside if possible, but most cats won't tolerate a leash!

What about the hawks?  I've seen them swoop down and kill a robin in two seconds flat!  How do you know the cat is the culprit?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, if you live in the city, there's really no other option. Personally, I would never let my cat go outside, unless I had it on a leash or cat-proof fence (do they even exist?)

Where I grew up, most outdoor cats were hit by cars or taken by coyotes eventually. It just doesn't seem safe to me. As long as you have enough stuff inside to keep your cat stimulated, they do just fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Example of an outdoor cat left behind (and he's one of the lucky ones).   http://canton.patch.com/articles/canton-animal-shelter-pet-of-the-week-april-16-2012#photo-9580646               http://town.canton.ma.us/animal/animalshelter/index.htm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Oh, akochan --

Sniff, sniff...Bambi?  Really??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In regards to the Concord situation, they don't even have a leash law for dogs, they just have to be in voice command. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why should a cat owner be allowed to let their cat get in my yard? 

If my pet rabbit was killed by a cat in my backyard, isn't the cat owner responsible?  And can cat owners, who let their cats kill birds, rabbits, etc. complain when a dog goes after their cat?

Cats in the country belong outside.  Cats in the city and suburbs belong in the house.