Does your dog smell like a dog?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CopleysCorner. Show CopleysCorner's posts

Does your dog smell like a dog?

Sometimes Copley stinks!  It's amazing how smelly this cute little girl can be.

I've shared our favorite products, tips, and tricks to make bath time fun.

http://copleyscorner.blogspot.com/2010/09/does-your-dog-smell-like-dog.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Does your dog smell like a dog?

I was looking for an old thread of mine, and found this for the first time.  Just wanted to say that I love the BYOD dog washes.  They are awesome!  You get to pick your shampoo, the bins with sprayers make it so easy to wash the dog, they have nice clean scrubbers/massagers, mine has tooth and ear wipes, and a drying area with hose dryers (not the dangerous kind of heater/dryers).  And, of course, there's a helpful, dog loving staff armed with lots of treats and smiles.

Gracie doesn't really stink very often unless her ears need to be cleaned.  But, she does get a bath 2 to 4 times a year at a BYOD wash, NEVER again in our bathroom. She might love the water, but she hates the shower, and what a mess.  It's worth $20 to not have to clean the entire bathroom of sopping wet dog hair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I bath my dogs whenever they need it.  One dog needs it more than the other.

If they are dirty, I'll try to wipe them down - Too many baths is not good for them.  Sitting in one's own urine (yesterday) will merit a bath.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Bosco gets his 'fluff and buff' once a month, so he has never smelled. I'm like Kar - after the first attempt in the bathtub where I got more water on me than he did - it is well worth the $40 I pay at his groomers, which includes his ears and his nails clipped as well. Although I brush him once a day (that dog should be bald, he sheds so much), I also feel that the monthly grooming helps with that as well.

He loves his spa day!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I think smaller breed dogs need to get their faces washed for often.  I used to have a Pug and her face would get really stinky.  With the pushed in face & skin folds she need a good cleanly every couple of weeks. My sister dog (Lhasa Apso) has the cherry eyes and his face needs to be clean everyday just to keep his eye from get congested

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BP, isn't it funny how our water dogs hate getting a bath?!  I'd think she'd jump in there and never want to come out.

Gracie's skin gets too dry and the natural oils that repel dirt get washed off if I bathe her too often.   I'd actually be setting her up to be dirtier if I took her more often.  

She hates being shampooed (even at the dog wash), but falls asleep during the blow dry in obvious bliss.  I have to wake her up to turn her over so I can dry the other side, but she doesn't want to move by then.  At least the blow dry follows the wash so she's all relaxed and happy by the time we head home. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Does your dog smell like a dog?:
    [QUOTE]I think smaller breed dogs need to get their faces washed for often.  I used to have a Pug and her face would get really stinky.  With the pushed in face & skin folds she need a good cleanly every couple of weeks. My sister dog (Lhasa Apso) has the cherry eyes and his face needs to be clean everyday just to keep his eye from get congested
    Posted by tomarra[/QUOTE]

I think the stinky face is a pug thing.  I think dogs with short snouts tend to have issues around their eye and breathing.  Jack Russels, in contrast, are small and very hearty - not too many minor health issues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

emma has had three baths in her life -- she rolled in skunk once and we took her to one of those do it yourself places -- she shakes the entire time - scared to death - couldn't dry her cause the noise from the dryer was way too much for her -- when we got back from florida in my bathtub cause she was itching like crazy -- still is -- from all the salt water - and i can't remember the reason the second time but remember that i couldn't get her in the tub so i just wet her on the floor of the bathroom and stood in water up to my ankles on the tile floor rinsing her - not fun -- she doesn't usually smell though - only when she rolls in stuff

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

I have 2 Boston Terriers and my 10yr old male has never had a problem with smelling like a dog no matter how long he went in between baths. However, my 1yr old female does. Her ears are yeasty so they smell if they are not cleaned every few days and she smells like a dog after a week or so. I am hoping she grows out of it maybe but I think that is just wishful thinking LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

In Response to Does your dog smell like a dog?:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes Copley stinks!  It's amazing how smelly this cute little girl can be. I've shared our favorite products, tips, and tricks to make bath time fun. http://copleyscorner.blogspot.com/2010/09/does-your-dog-smell-like-dog.html
    Posted by CopleysCorner[/QUOTE]
    Love your dog. what a cutie. Bostons rule !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I have 2 Boston Terriers and my 10yr old male has never had a problem with smelling like a dog no matter how long he went in between baths. However, my 1yr old female does. Her ears are yeasty so they smell if they are not cleaned every few days and she smells like a dog after a week or so. I am hoping she grows out of it maybe but I think that is just wishful thinking LOL
    Posted by jharvey31[/QUOTE]

Yeast will be brought well under control with probiotics (same as with people) because it's a flora imbalance that causes it.  Give these a whirl for a month - I think you'll be stunned at the difference.  Of course, you'll still need to keep the ears clean with cleaning solution, but the stink will be drastically reduced.

Pet Probiotics (this is a great one; it contains a lot of different cultures)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Wow, I have to say I feel like the odd one out, Bella goes to the groomer's every 4 or 5 weeks for the complete treatment including a bath.  And there have been times that I have had to bathe her in between because she loves to roll around in the dirt and mud.  Thankfully though, she is little and loves bath time once she is actually in the water.  She does try to run from me when she hears the water running, but once she is in, she loves it.  She even loves the blow dryer too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does your dog smell like a dog? : Yeast will be brought well under control with probiotics (same as with people) because it's a flora imbalance that causes it.  Give these a whirl for a month - I think you'll be stunned at the difference.  Of course, you'll still need to keep the ears clean with cleaning solution, but the stink will be drastically reduced. Pet Probiotics  (this is a great one; it contains a lot of different cultures)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Please come back and let us know how he does with the probiotics!  I've been away so just saw your response.  I can't wait to hear the good news.  Probably will take a few weeks of regular use for you to notice a big difference.

Oh, and maybe this is TMI, but my grandmother suffered from chronic yeast infections and probiotics did the trick.  However, if she stopped, they returned very soon, so after his ears clear up be sure you're never out of it.

And, yogurt, by the way, doesn't have enough bacteria to do much of anything (despite what the Activia ads would lead you to believe) and dogs don't do well with dairy or sugar (not sure about Splenda, but...).

Sugar of any sort feeds a yeast problem.  If you're feeding a high corn diet, that's very sugary and is feeding the yeast (and isn't good for your dog's overall health, either).  Low carb, low sugar diet will help keep yeast down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Kar, my dog will go in the ocean no matter what the temperature but gives me the hardest time when I try to bathe him too!
    I bathe Monk, my Golden Retriever, about once a month in the winter.  During the summer, when I let him go in the ocean, I end up washing him much more.  Thank goodness we have an outside shower, it makes it so much easier!

He has the long hair on his back legs and had a stomache problem last week.  I had to bathe him in our shower and somehow he got out.  Needless to say, I ended up fully clothed in the shower with him............not fun!!

(BTW I have a cat named Gracie, great name!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chazz, I can just imagine that mess!  Isn't it funny how they love the water and hate the bath.  I'm planning to take her to the ocean this summer for the first time.  Maybe on a doggie Boston Harbor cruise to an island.  Gracie was named that because my DH had always wanted a yellow lab, but I fell in love with her, and he couldn't say no.  I thought it was so gracious of him, and there was her name.  'Course, now he's so happy we went back for her - she's Daddy's girl! :)

jharvey, have you tried the probiotics for the yeast?  Eager for an update!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

One of the many great qualities about whippets is that they don't smell - ever.  They are almost like cats in their cleanliness and "non-stinky" genetic disposition.  As a result, I rarely give Cody a bath and it's a good thing since he hates it.  His coat is so incredibly soft that it feels like cashmere and I think it's because of the minimal times he's bathed a year.  

I did take him to Laundromutt in Cambridge for their self-service baths once and they were great (same people that own BYOD mentioned by kargiver).  The location is great too, just across from the very dog-friendly and scenic fresh pond reservervoir for dog walking.

I did have an adorable maltese for nearly 16 years and had to take her for professional grooming every 6 weeks.  I always used all-natural shampoos on her to avoid harsh chemicals and bleaching agents on her skin and fur.