1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Does your pet have a microchip?

There are a few different kinds of microchips for pets out there.  Does your pet have a microchip? If so, what kind? Have you ever had to use it to track a lost pet?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nelson617. Show nelson617's posts

Re: Does your pet have a microchip?

We have two cats that do not have microchips because they are strictly indoor cats. However, they often try to escape outside when we open the door, so I've thought about putting microchips in them just in case. I'm interested to hear from others about their experiences with cats and microchips.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi BDC Maude,

I adopted my cat, Cheerio, from the Animal Rescue League and all their pets have chips installed before adoption.  She has scooted out quite a few times when I haven't been quick enough to bend down and stop her, but her roaming is only right around the perimeter of the house, from one door to the other.  I think it's a wonderful thing to have.  She also came with a collar and microchip tag of who to call.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

we had a chip put in our dog right after we brought him home as a puppy. It cost less than $20 and is well worth the peace of mind it provides. I believe the brand is Pet Trac, and it comes with tags to put on collars and a reward if the dog is found.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Our beagle/boston terrier mix has a chip (from HomeAgain) and she did get out last winter and the animal control in our town was able to contact us by scanning her chip.  It's well worth the money to have it done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our lab has a HomeAgain chip that we had implanted during her spaying surgery for $50 more.  We've never had to use it, thankfully, and probably never will since we have an invisible fence,  now, and she can't run off.  She's have to be off our property and bolt which is very unlikely to ever happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wonder what the difference is in the brands? Will certain scanners not pick up some chip brands?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good question; I'd never heard of other brands 'til this thread.  The vet asked if I wanted a chip and I said, "yes, please."  I hope everyone who scans does have the means to identify all the brands!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

My dogs are chipped.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

my dog got chipped when i had her spayed in july

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elinnz. Show elinnz's posts

the brands are just who houses the information (homeagain, 24hour pet watch, etc.), but i believe the vet/animal control/animal shelter/police can scan any chip to get the basic information.  the information/serial # would then indicate which company to contact. 

and some people think chips work as GPS devices.  this is not the case.  they are for when a dog or cat is picked up by a good samaritan, animal control officer, brought to a shelter, etc., where the pet is then scanned.  when it is found the pet is chipped, they contact the last registered owner.