1. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldenlou. Show waldenlou's posts

Dog eating earthworms?

Ok so this is weird. My dog a 3 1/2 yr old mini poodle, loves to eat earthworms at the park. Her favorite are the dried up kind, like earthworm jerky. Gross right? I feed her very high quality food and I'm very careful about what she eats. But when it comes to the earthworms I can't grab her fast enough to stop her. 
    So anyone have any experience with this and should I be overly concerned? Also any suggestions for stopping it? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Dog eating earthworms?

I have a dog that catches moths and gulps them down.

I haven't found a way to stop her.  I would try to deter your dog from doing this as much as possible,   keep an eye on her feces for worms and bring  a sample to your vet right away if you see any  so you can start the medication to get rid of them ,  roundworm eggs can be picked up from soil.

Otherwise it's probably ok,  they like to eat grass,  bird droppings,  rabbit feces, etc. and roll around in it if they can!

This is one of the reasons I don't do dog parks.

Some of the heartworm preventative medications will protect your dog from roundworms among other things.

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_roundworms_in_dogs___puppies.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i wouldn't be concerned -- my sister dog is an 11 pound shitzu poodle mix - when we go to the beach she hunts out little crab legs, starfish, etc. and eats them - that is her favorite activity -- she did get sick on red tide mussles once but we didn't know it was red tide till after she ate them -- i know dogs who have swallowed squirells whole and alive and mice as well -- no harm -- dogs stomachs are very acidic and process the "food" before any bacteria can make the dog sick -- my dog eats mostly raw food - raw chicken, beef, fish, etc.  -- they are carnivores with dna which is less than 2% different than wolves - many people say that dogs who eat dirt, grass, insects are missing some nutrient -- i'm not sure if that is the case, but i wouldn't be concerned with the earth worm - just a little more tasty protien for your pup

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wouldn't be concerned, either, and I'm a freak about everything to do with Gracie's health.  She grabs moths, too, out of the air and eats them.  And, there's not much hope of survival for a horse fly that dares buzz around her face - CHOMP, gone.  I've seen people eat handfuls of live earthworms on Fear Factor, and I don't suppose earthworm jerky could be all that different.  Gracie eats lobster "garbage" (heads) that have been outside in the heat for weeks.  

So, all that to say, I'm no expert, but I bet it's fine!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Eats them, rolls in them.  I'm count my blessings that my dogs aren;t eating/rolling in other stuff, if you catch my drift.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldenlou. Show waldenlou's posts

Thanks everyone. That's what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. I also called my vet and they don't worry about it too much just try to shoo her away if I can...ya right! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Leave it" (don't put it in your mouth) and "drop it" (spit it out) work with Gracie almost 100%.  If you don't have those commands at your disposal, you can teach him with really good treats.  Gracie learned best with poached liver as a reward.  The earthworms might not be a big deal, but something else might be, and if you have those two commands under your belt you could save yourself a vet trip.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

I couldn't agree more to this.  My dog knows "leave it" and although sometimes we have to say it a second time to him (and a little louder) if he's investigating something really intriguing ..he will drop it.  It's the best thing to teach them!  I give my pup a refresher training for this command every now and then, it's that important!

In Response to Re: Dog eating earthworms?:
    "Leave it" (don't put it in your mouth) and "drop it" (spit it out) work with Gracie almost 100%.  If you don't have those commands at your disposal, you can teach him with really good treats.  Gracie learned best with poached liver as a reward.  The earthworms might not be a big deal, but something else might be, and if you have those two commands under your belt you could save yourself a vet trip.
    Posted by kargiver

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Dear Lisa: I have a 14-month old pug who eats earthworms every chance he gets. He eats the same amount dry dog food as his brother but eats the earthworms as snacks during his outside time. His brother does not eat earthworms. I'm sure hunger isn't the issue. Is he missing something in his diet? Can the earthworms be harmful to his health? Should I prevent him from eating them? – Unearthed Delights in Delaware

Dear Unearthed: Dogs will eat the craziest things. Many times experts don’t know why or have conflicting opinions. For example, there is no solid evidence as to why so many dogs eat grass. Some say they must be missing a nutrient, others claim dogs do it to ease gastrointestinal troubles or some say it simply means dogs like greens!

As for earthworms, I’ve heard some dog owners report that their dogs devour these segmented hors d’ouevres with no ill effect. However, there are a few reasons why you should not let your pup scarf up this garden garnish.

Earthworms are great for soil because they move it around, clean it up and deposit nutrients. They do this by swallowing the soil. Some of the things that an earthworm might run across on his errands include bacteria and other parasites that are harmful to dogs.

Parasite Problems
    While bacteria could cause stomach upset in your pet your biggest worry should be roundworms. The eggs of the roundworm (Toxocara larvae) can be left behind in soil by other dogs or wildlife and then ingested by the earthworms. Then once the earthworms are eaten by your dog, he runs the risk of getting the common parasite. Puppies are quite susceptible to getting roundworms, especially from their mothers. But adults can get them too.

Check your dog’s stool for spaghetti-shaped worms for the main telltale sign of roundworm infection. If your dog does get roundworms, don’t despair, working with your vet on a de-worming protocol will usually take care of the problem. It is estimated that a medium-sized garden can contain more than 20,000 earthworms. Worse yet, if your dog gets roundworms he could spread them to you. So don’t let your dog eat the earthworms and keep him and you parasite free.

Lisa Peterson, a long-time owner/breeder/handler of Norwegian Elkhounds, is the AKC Director of Club Communications. If you have a question, send it to Lisa at lxp@akc.org and she may select it to be answered here in Ask AKC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's good to know...but, our dog eats dirt not encased in an earthworm.  What can you do - I can only worry over and stop so much potentially dangerous behavior!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RottiesMom3. Show RottiesMom3's posts

i know dogs who have swallowed squirells whole and alive Posted by lukeseri58

I would love to know what kind of dog did this!  If I could get mine to eat squirrels, maybe I could save some $$ on chicken!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

its a lab -- redish color - big guy - just turned 2 but he did this when he was one - a friend of his - a strange mutty looking dog that looks like an australian dingo caught it and nick ate it - whole - swallowed it like it was nothing -- he eats all sorts of stuff all the time - great funny goffy dog -- not mine -- but my emma loves him - we actually saw him this morning

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i feed my dog chicken necks - can get a 40lb case for 99 cents a pound - i also feed her bottom round roast or whatever beef is on sale - its costly but she's worth it -- all raw though - don't feed your dog cooked chicken bones

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lukes, how do you get the chicken off the neck bones?  Or, are they small and soft enough to feed whole?

our lab chases the critters but hasn't caught any yet...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

yep - just feed them to her whole -- the bones are small and she chews them up in seconds -- its funny she really likes chicken necks but won't touch a turkey neck

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

My 2yr old Boston terrier loves eating grass but she doesn't throw it up ever. I think she just likes her veggies because she will eat carrots and cuccumbers too. She also loves to chase bugs and eat them when she catches them or when I get one in the house and kill it then turn around to get a napkin to clean it up by the time I get back (1 second) she has already eaten it, she also loves to eat dirt. She is not very lady like at all LOL  My old Boston never ate bugs or dirt or anything crazy really. I guess it just depends on the dogs personality.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lukes, that's good to know about the neck bones being safe, thanks.

jharvey, Gracie eats grass and never pukes it, either.  She seems to like particular kinds over others, and she doesn't act like her stomach is upset.  She eats dirt, too, off the tractor...the rich stuff from the garden.  I can't figure it out - she gets the best supplements and good food so, I guess you're right - it must just be the personality of the dog.  So strange!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Answer by Dr. Mara Ratnofsky of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service: 
    The persistent craving for or eating of non-food items by an animal is commonly referred to as pica. Most healthy dogs that eat a quality, commercial dog food appropriate for their life stage (puppy, adult, etc.) will not be vitamin deficient. These diets are complete and balanced for dogs and contain the necessary nutrients. However, dogs with an upset stomach may occasionally eat dirt. 

I
    t is important to note if your dog is experiencing any vomiting, diarrhea, or unexplained weight loss, since gastrointestinal diseases can sometimes cause pica. This behavior has also been linked to anemia (low red blood cell count). You should have your dog examined by a veterinarian if he is eating dirt since this behavior may be pointing to a larger problem.   

If your dog’s veterinarian rules out medical issues, then you may be dealing with a behavioral problem. A command that can come in handy is “leave it” when he goes to eat dirt. You may reinforce this command with a reward such as a snack so that he will slowly unlearn his dirt eating behavior.

AngellVets

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

My 2yr old Boston terrier loves eating grass but she doesn't throw it up ever. I think she just likes her veggies because she will eat carrots and cuccumbers too. She also loves to chase bugs and eat them when she catches them or when I get one in the house and kill it then turn around to get a napkin to clean it up by the time I get back (1 second) she has already eaten it, she also loves to eat dirt. She is not very lady like at all LOL  My old Boston never ate bugs or dirt or anything crazy really. I guess it just depends on the dogs personality.
    Posted by jharvey31

I wondered if Bella had a problem too because she loves to eat grass, but I agree with you, I just thinks she likes veggies.  We have given her baby carrots, cucumber slices, and her favorite treat is watermelon!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

In Response to Re: Dog eating earthworms? : I know how much you like Bostons, I wanted you to see this mix that's available for adoption,  if she's even still there,  also note the 2 year old pug mix. http://www.mansfieldshelter.org/residentdogs.htm
    Posted by dog-lady

OMG she is sooo cute. I am gonna see if she is available still and take my Holly to meet her, she has been so lonely since her brothers passing that she needs a new sibling to play with... Thanks Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

Lukes, that's good to know about the neck bones being safe, thanks. jharvey, Gracie eats grass and never pukes it, either.  She seems to like particular kinds over others, and she doesn't act like her stomach is upset.  She eats dirt, too, off the tractor...the rich stuff from the garden.  I can't figure it out - she gets the best supplements and good food so, I guess you're right - it must just be the personality of the dog.  So strange!
    Posted by kargiver

They are probably just like people some people eat weird things too. I watched a show last night where a woman like to eat rocks Tongue out, I pray my dogs doesn't start eating those tho, that would be very dangerous and a very expensive vet bill.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Hi all! This is Cooper's (black miniature schnauzer) mom! He is now 11 months old!
    Anyway, I wouldn't worry. He is CRAZY and eats all sorts of stuff. He loves slugs, which is absolutely disgusting, as his beard gets all slimy, but honestly, what can I do? It won't hurt him. I mean, they are animals, so I suppose it is natural instinct for them. He also loves chasing moths, and flies. In fact, I love that he chses flies and eats them, he takes care of them in our house for us! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, minicooper!  11 months old already...wow, time flies.  Speaking of flies, the horse/dearflies are bad out here, and Gracie makes short work of any buzzing around her head.  CHOMP!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Oh also, Cooper LOVES LOVES LOVES carrots. We can get him to do anything if we offer him a carrot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Hi Kar!! How is Gracie doing? How is her knee (is that correct?) I hope she was OK enough to have an enjoyable summer. Here is a current picture of Cooper. Share one of Gracie? 

Sections
Shortcuts