1. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Doggie bum glands?

I've got a dog and when i took him the vet the other day he told me my pup needed to have a gland in his bum squeezed to remove fluid. i had never heard of this before. How gross. Is this with all breeds or just certain ones? I hadn't noticed anything odd about the dog's behavior or any strange odors. The dog wasn't scooting or anything either. Just curious!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Doggie bum glands?

I know it's gross,  but it has to be done,  the anal glands can get easily infected, usually with the small, toy type breeds.

Large  and medium dogs don't tend to have this problem.

Some groomers charge extra for "anal gland expressing",  but a month is too long to wait.

The best thing to do, if you have a dog that is prone to getting clogged up:  every evening, put on a disposable plastic glove, gently sqeeze the anu$ area by  make a pinching motion with 2 fingers, you will notice a little colored fluid might squirt out.

As long as you do this it won't build up and get infected.   You want to avoid infection, because they may have to lance  or do surgery to relieve it if you don't catch it early, plus antibiotics.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywTCnjKX4k     "Expressing your dog's glands"    There are several videos you may find helpful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's common to all breeds, I think.  Yeah, it's gross, but it's part of dog ownership.  We haven't had to do it with Gracie yet, but I'm sure we will at some point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Wow, i never knew about this. Then again this is my first dog. Guess I'll be investing in plastic gloves this evening because I'd like to keep his little bum healthy! but yyyyyiiiiicckkkkk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

You'll get used to it,   make it part of the grooming ritual.

I hope your brushing his teeth every day too!   You can avoid professional cleanings and vet visits if you take a few minutes every evening to do these things. 

Youtube has some good how to videos.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie is our first dog, too, and I can relate to how you're feeling!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

I don't think you necessarily have to do it all the time unless your vet suggested it.  My dog has only had it done maybe four times in three years.  Our vet said it was only necessary when he shows signs they are full and bothering him (he starts licking the area and scooting around) and said doing it more often than necessary can actually lead to infections too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If you do it every evening,  they never get to the point where they're uncomfortable.

I  would prefer to err on the side of safety.

I'm talking about one quick [gentle] squeeze.

Give your vet a call,  he knows the dog,  and go by what he recommends for frequency,  he already said it was necessary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've heard that it can be a sign of a poor diet/irregular stools. Normally, stools should be hard enough for the anal glands to be expressed while it's on the way out. Max hasn't had this problem so far.

ETA:
    Here's a website with more info about how exercise and diet can be related to anal gland issues.

Sections
Shortcuts