1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Doggie Daycare incident

I'm completely surprised and devastated by this article I just came across regarding a doggie daycare where a dog dies on Thursday.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hull/news/x1526495122/Hull-mans-dog-dies-at-Weymouth-day-care#axzz25W1WTSUi

I have been bringing my dogs here for two years now once a week (literally they were there the day before the incident).  My dogs love going, the staff and owner have always been very friendly and professional.  They have doggie cameras so you can watch your pet, were voted Best of Boston doggie daycare last year, and have always seems very attentive to me.  For example a few weeks back when I arrived to pick up my pets one of my dogs was in a crate "recovering since she injured her paw jumping up on the fence", but literally she didn't even have a physical scratch on the paw.  They were just taking extra unnecessary precautions in her case.

Now I just don't know what to do.  I still feel like I trust them but am thinking I need to ask more questions before bringing them back on what happened and what protocols I can expect them to follow in my dogs were to ever get hurt.  Which I have to say has never happened in the over 100 times I've brought them here.  Any thoughts?  What would you do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Doggie Daycare incident

Just watched it on channel 4,  well,  I wouldn't bring my dogs back there.
    Stuff happens, but why wasn't the dog rushed to the nearest vet for treatment?

I groom my dogs myself for the same reason, not comfortable leaving them at the groomers,
    unfortunately anyone can call themselves a dog trainer etc.

Look into a dog walker coming to your home and taking them out for a walk midday?

What are you paying for, if they are not going to make sure the dog is comfortable and not in distress?

The dog might be better off home alone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Also, as someone who does a little dog walking and pet sitting now and then for friends, I am aware of where the 24 hr emergency vet clinic is located and exactly how long it would take me to get there.
    I would not hesitate to rush any pet there if anything went wrong while they were under my care.
    Bulldogs are bradycephalic meaning extra attention should be paid to them in hot weather as they may have difficulty breathing and tolerating the heat and are more susceptible to heat stroke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Robin, I agree that from the news broadcasts I saw it sounds like they acted completely inappropriately not rushing the dog to the vet.  Hence the major concerns I have now.  I'm just having a hard time reconciling what happened with the care they have always seemed to show for my dogs over the years.

I already let my pups out at lunchtime everyday (unless I have a meeting in which case my mom stops by) since I'm lucky enough to work five minutes from home and have family close by.  So I'm not worried about them not getting a bathroom break.

My dogs just LOVE daycare and I'm sad for them to not have this outlet to play with other dogs.  I always bring them on Wednesdays to break up the work week for them and they seem to know the days of the week since every Wednesday - today included - when I'm leaving for work they stand my the closet door where I keep the leashes waiting expectantly.  Broke my heart this morning to say "no guys no daycare today".

SO..... anyone have any doggie daycare recommendations on the south shore near Braintree? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I can't stand those big doggie day care places.  I would never take my dogs to one.   I recommend finding a smaller facility where the focus is on training.  Dogs don't need to run around with other dogs.  Most dogs need discipline and mental stimulation and training fulfills both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

What a sad story. If you've been going there for a long period of time and feel like you trust and know the managers, I would talk to them to get their side of the story and find out what measures are being taken to make sure something like this never happens again.

But if you still feel uneasy, trust your gut and see if you can get an insured and bonded dog walker to bring your dogs to a nearby dog park or dog-friendly area so they can get some exercise and socialization.

I worked at a doggie day care on weekends for a short time and one of reasons I left is because no matter how many good people you have working there or policies put in place, freak accidents happen. It's a stressful and unpredictable business.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Partiot Ledger Sept. 8, 2012

WEMOUTH

The owner of a kennel and doggie daycare where a bulldog died says he and his employees are not responsible for the animals death.
    Read more: http://www.patriotledger.com/topstories/x1681146821/Weymouth-kennel-owner-defends-employees-in-dog-s-death#ixzz265OEqM4R

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Of course he said he's not responsible.

They were not trained to identify the signs of heat exhaustion and/or how to handle a situation when a dog is suffering for heat exhaustion.

The high was 87 degrees of Aug. 30.  Probably hotter on an ashpalt surface.  They should have known better than to let a bulldog run around in such conditions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Exactly...when you are dealing with the care and wellbeing of a living thing, especially if it is someones pet whose care has been entrusted to you, imo, the correct thing to do would be to err on the side of safety and overreact, not underreact!  Common sense.

This part of the article says a lot:  The town suspended Flemings kennel license for at least one month Tuesday because of unsanitary conditions, including an odor of urine and dog feces that had not been picked up. Inspectors went to the facility after Coopers owner,....

Nuff said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Who would leave their dog in the care of people who let the place stink of urine and feces?  Not only do they obviously not clean up messes, presumably the dogs are housebroken and were forced to eliminate inside, not allowed to go out regularly.  If you walk into a kennel and it stinks to high heavens, it's obviously not the place to leave your dog; it literally reeks of neglect!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My latest post wasonto meant to apply to the OP, by the way, which it doesn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Argh, that was supposed to say "wasn't."  autocorrect is clearly still messed up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Regarding dogs affected with heat exhaustion,  take them inside immediately, put them in a cool tub of water, add ice...if you don't see improvement within a few minutes, carry them to the car, cover them in cold wet towels/ice and rush them to the nearest emergency vet clinic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadada369. Show dadada369's posts

In response to SSBride09's comment:  Try Doggaritaville on 3A in Weymouth.  Great reputation, reasonable prices, and they have a hot and cold weather area for the pups to play in.

Robin, I agree that from the news broadcasts I saw it sounds like they acted completely inappropriately not rushing the dog to the vet.  Hence the major concerns I have now.  I'm just having a hard time reconciling what happened with the care they have always seemed to show for my dogs over the years.

I already let my pups out at lunchtime everyday (unless I have a meeting in which case my mom stops by) since I'm lucky enough to work five minutes from home and have family close by.  So I'm not worried about them not getting a bathroom break.

My dogs just LOVE daycare and I'm sad for them to not have this outlet to play with other dogs.  I always bring them on Wednesdays to break up the work week for them and they seem to know the days of the week since every Wednesday - today included - when I'm leaving for work they stand my the closet door where I keep the leashes waiting expectantly.  Broke my heart this morning to say "no guys no daycare today".

SO..... anyone have any doggie daycare recommendations on the south shore near Braintree? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

WEYMOUTH

Police will not seek criminal charges in connection with the death of a bulldog at a North Weymouth doggie day care and kennel, the towns animal control officer said Tuesday.

An investigation into the dogs death at the Land of Pawz on Route 3A found insufficient evidence to support criminal charges against staff members who were watching the 6-year-old English bulldog named Cooper when he slumped over in an outdoor play area on Aug. 30, Animal Control Officer Mike Parker said.

The dogs owner, Guy Reynolds, of Hull, previously told The Patriot Ledger that a veterinarian pinned the cause of death on heat stroke. He has also said he is considering filing a lawsuit against the facility.

The board of health suspended the facility kennel license after finding unsanitary conditions during an inspection after the dogs death. The suspension was lifted after nine days because owner Tom Fleming corrected the violations and made significant improvements to the kennel.

Parker said the town has not received any further complaints about the facility since it re-opened.

For more information, see Wednesdays edition of The Patriot Ledger.

Read more: http://www.patriotledger.com/topstories/x383194458/No-charges-in-dog-s-death-at-Weymouth-kennel#ixzz28FsGJb4S

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

Regarding dogs affected with heat exhaustion,  take them inside immediately, put them in a cool tub of water, add ice...if you don't see improvement within a few minutes, carry them to the car, cover them in cold wet towels/ice and rush them to the nearest emergency vet clinic.

From what I understand, the play area for the dogs was a black top surface.  The indoor area was in the attic and consisted of plastic crates stacked 3 high.  1 hour after the dog was dead, it's temperature was 106 degrees.

Sections
Shortcuts