1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IheartJohn. Show IheartJohn's posts

Dogs vs. Cats

Are you a cat person or a dog person? Why? I am a dog person. I find cats to be dirty, disgusting creatures. I have no desire to own a cat and the smelly litterbox that goes along with them. I would much prefer the company of my dog Molly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dogs vs. Cats

I'm a dog owner and would classify myself as a dog person.  Our lab is our 73 lb fur baby.  We like taking her places and watching how happy she makes everyone who comes in contact with her.  We take her to all the pet-friendly stores, out in our rowboat to go swimming and fishing, and to the farmer's market every Saturday.  Everyone knows her.  Me?  No.  Her...it's all about the dog.

However, I like cats and even owned one for awhile, but the litter box eventually turned me off to owning one.  Plus, I had to use eye drops for my cat allergy.  I like other people's cats. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

I am a cat and dog lover. Over 20 years ago, when we bought our first home, I acquired Ralph, the most beautiful gray tiger cat in history. I have never had a pet (dog or cat) that was as loyal to me as Ralph. He was an indoor/outdoor cat so the litter box was not a problem. He was also a very vocal cat; we would talk to each other. My husband would tell people that I would peel raisins for this cat, that’s how much of a bond we had. My husband was a little jealous of Ralph. Two years later, Maxwell, out first dog (a yellow lab) came into the household. Ralph immediately put the dog in his place, and the two had an understanding, stay away from the cat and you will live. During the next two years, we acquired another dog, a beagle/basset mix (we told people we had a beagle with basset assets). Max taught Spoogie (my husband named him that, needless to say, he is not allowed to name pets anymore) to RESPECT the cat and all was well. On a July 4th weekend, another dog appeared in my yard, a pit-bull mix, we named Cha-cha. Ralph tried his hardest to chase her away without luck. So we all lived peacefully. Ten to fifteen years later, that first dog pack and cat left this world. We now have a new dog pack, a beagle, a border collie, and a timber wolf (we don’t know what she is) and two cats, Thomas and Eddie. The cats are bonded and enjoy each other’s company, but the cat rules scenario no longer exists, dog chase the cats and the world is normal again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice post, Spoogedog.

I guess I qualify as a cat person now.  All my life have had a joint cat and dog household , but since my Samoyan had to be put down, I've stuck with cats. Right now it's just Cheerio, an 11 year old tiger from the Animal Rescue League, who adopted me!  Don't understand statements of smelly litter boxes, if they're scooped daily and changed regularly, there is no odor problem, especially with the litter products on the market today.  Cheerio is strictly an indoor cat, lost too many previous to the volume of traffic that speeds around my corner.  She has plenty of stimulation sitting at the slider and kitchen window watching birds, chipmunks, squirrels, occasional strays, and if she's up early enough, perhaps a glimpse of a fox or few deer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Love 'em both...but the meter is tipped in the dog department...

I have to say, I've known/been in the company of great cats...One was a beautiful van cat; and others have been domestic shorthairs.  One was an incredible athlete...jumped up to the top of the vet's medicine cabinet from the exam table at one time.  Just nonchalantly walked amongst all these meds.  My friend could only just stand there, somewhat helpless...and said;  "You break any of those, and you pay for it!"  Did I mention his name was Damien?

I grew  up with dogs...I just find them so nonjudgmental and accepting...fido, fideles, loyal indeed!  I'm amazed, sppogedog, at the pack you've got!  All those different breeds, not to mention the cats, all peacefully coexisting!  Good for you!! 

I hope you've got a lot of land for them to exercise and play!!

Say more, about how you got them all to get along -- or did they make that decision on their own?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

Maldenlady,

We have 2 acres, ¾ fenced, and a lot of protected farmland surrounding us. Great trails in the woods that are not public but we have access from our back yard, so it’s like having our own 40 acres. Dogs have wood, fields and water to play in. The cats are indoor cats, but since we fenced part of the yard they sit on the decks and can eat real grass. I should say that we live in an old house with an attached barn, that’s where the litter bosx resides.

I have found that it takes about a month for a new pet to fit in with the existing ones. This time we acquired the dogs as puppies. Want to talk about how much work it takes the first year of 3 pupppies lives? But, having the puppies work out who's the alpha is easier when they are they same age. Our Spoogie was very happy with the lab, but became depressed when the girl dog showed up a took the second place in the pack. But, they make the rules.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i'm a dog person - i've had cats and enjoyed them, but like the saying goes dog is man's (or in this case woman's) best friend -- they are loyal, unjudging and always there for you and they can read your moods and react accordingly -- i'd rather spend my time with a pack of dogs than a pack of humans and i'm not antisocial -- i just think that dogs know how to create and live in a society better than we humans - you should all read "a dog's purpose" 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Spoogedog, that's a perfect set up!  You were wise to do this while they were puppies...yep, they make the rules, all right!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

lukeseri58,

I agree that dog's are woman's best friend. The very first dog I lived with was a longhaired daschund (I was 5). She watched over us and protected us like no dog I’ve had since. My most loyal dog is Smedley (yes I did let my husband name this one, but actually it fits well) my rescue Border collie mix. He is big and goofy and never lets me out of his sight. But, in terms of devotion, my first cat Ralph still reigns.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would take my two cats over a dog any day.. In terms of affection..they are not much different than a dog...in terms of personality they are much more independent..which is important to me. I like dogs..but would never own them for a couple of reasons...one of which is the fact that I can leave the cats for a day or two and they are fine. You could never do that with a dog. I like being able to pick up and take off for an overnight like I did last weekend without the added responsibility of arranging for pet care.

Also..I may be biased but I would bet my cats are more intelligent than most dogs...heck..I think one of them may be more intelligent than I am..lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Dogs vs. Cats:
    Cats don't go to everyone as dogs do.  They probably sense that you don't like them, thus the reason they avoid you.
    Posted by jackbu

Jack..too funny...cats are really good at picking up the bad vibes..There are very few people in this world that Tink allows to even be in her presence..so when it happens..I trust it..lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

A properly cared for cat and litter box does not smell. I grew up w/ dogs but got a cat as an adult [mouse in apt].  If the litterbox smells, that means the owner does not care for the cat properly.  It is a toilet - it needs to be scooped every day. If you use a good brand clumping litter and clean it out every day, it does not smell.  I am not basing this on my biased nose. My then-boyfriend and now husband who prefers dogs remarked early on when dating me that he was amazed that he could not smell the litterbox and wouldn't know that a cat lived there if he didn't see the cat.

Brush your pets daily, care for them properly [which for cats includes scooping the box daily, using good litter and changing the litter reguarly] and you will reap the benefits.  The litter I use is such high quality that I don't need to change the litterbox more than 1x per month or 6 weeks. 

I still love dogs, but they are now dirty and disgusting to me and I would never have one in my house again.  Perhaps it's because I prefer big drooly dogs over little ones.  But I am definitely a cat person from here on out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Alf, what kind of liter do you use?  We will be adopting a kitten in the near future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I use Scoop Away Fresh Step Clumping Litter.  I think I end up w/ the 'multiple cats' one even though I only have 1 cat.  That seems to be in stock when I am in the store as opposed to the regular Scoop Away. I've used Tidy Cat before too but I prefer Scoop Away. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Great thank you. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I use the Tidy Cat, usually pick up the multiple cats one, Amber, and have been satisfied with that.  Next time I see a coupon for Fresh Step, I'll give that a try.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have 2 cat boxes and use Fresh Step.  I will use Tidy Cat if it is on sale, but I really prefer the Fresh Step.  The key is to clean it daily and change it weekly.  I have had more than one person tell me they are surprised I have cats as they couldn't smell anything.  Funny how people expect to.  I also have a dog but love all 3 of my furbabies.  Each one has their own personality for sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not sure if I had tried Fresh Step before or not.  One scoopable brand that I had tried, had a strong, dryer sheet odor that turned me off.  As I say, not sure if it was Fresh Step.  So far no problems with Tidy Cat, but I'm always open to trying a new brand.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I personally do not like the clumping litter.  I use the regular Fresh Step.  But Tidy Cat regular is def my second choice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IheartJohn. Show IheartJohn's posts

I still think the litterbox thing is gross. I don't care how clean you keep it every time I go into someones house that has a cat I can tell right away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I use Cat Fresh...no one who comes into my house ever notices the smell of cats or a litterbox. I have a really sensitive sense of smell...so am very anal about the litterbox.

Sections
Shortcuts