1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Dressing Dogs for Cold and Frostbite Protection

How are you protecting your dog from the subzero temps?  A Brigham ER doc recommended dogs wear booties and limit walks to 5 minutes in a Boston Globe article.  As a result, I pulled out the muttluks this morn.  Cody was dressed in a wool sweater layered with two fleece coats, his muttluks dog boots on his feet and my scarf wrapped around his long whippet neck.  What about you?  Would love to see some pics and get more ideas/suggestions.  It sounds like we're in store for a "ruff" week!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dressing Dogs for Cold and Frostbite Protection

Not the best photo, but here's Gracie in her Weatherbeeta parka.  I have Baxter Boo's hiking boots for her (her Muttlucks come off), and they stay on.  But, they seem to make her itch - she chews where the tops are on her front legs after I take them off.  So, for her paws, we use Musher's Secret wax.

Adorable photo of your dog all dressed, BT.  Gracie's Muttluks weren't that tall, and just fell off when she ran.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I layer a sweatshirt under Max's coat. I don't use the boots except when it's really icy, and our neighborhood sidealk is thankfully clear of ice.
    He hates weather like this, so he makes the walk as quick as possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

I'll be able to post pics tomorrow, hopefully. I ordered him a coat a couple of weeks ago, but when it came in the XL that said it was sized for Labs was 4-6" too short so I had to order the XXL. His grooming salon called this morning to say his new coat and booties that I also ordered just came in so I'm picking them up tonight. The booties will certainly be an adventure - they zip up the back and have velcro straps as well so fingers are crossed that they will both fit. It doesn't seem that the cold fazes him in the slightest but I still keep his walks to the 10-15 minute range these days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bigpuppy - Gracie doesn't seem to mind the cold much, either, but last year we had problems with her paws getting all cracked from the cold.  Try the Musher's Secret if the booties don't stay on; it seems to be preventing the cracking issues, this year since we were proactive about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Thanks, as always, kar. I've been careful to use a warm washcloth to go over and between his paws when we come back in and pay attention to the pads. So far so good, but that's one reason why i ordered the boots. His groomer recommended Bag Balm if his pads get cracked - has anyone tried that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Bag Balm is what our vet recommended when Gracie had her cracked pads.  I massaged it into her pads morning and night.  It worked, but what a MESS on the floors.  It took about 2 weeks to correct her problem.

ETA:  It's not just the salt, bigpup, it's the snow itself.  Gracie had issues because DH took her for miles in the snowy woods.  We just didn't know we needed to protect her feet from that.  Sounds dumb, but we thought she'd be OK.  Well, actually, we didn't think about it at all until she was clearly having a problem.  I thought she had frostbite, but thankfully, it was just the pads and the Bag Balm fixed it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

I would love to get Cody a parka like Gracie, but he is an odd size.  I either have to sew them myself or have them custom made for him because his length and girth don't match up for standard sizes.  Looking forward to seeing bigpuppy's pics in his new wardrobe!

I also use Musher's Secret (even in the summer) and have had good luck with it.  Cody ate a whole jar of it once when he was a pup and never got sick other than loose stool - it's non-toxic thankfully.  I've never tried Bag Balm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh goodness, now I feel like I should put another layer on Jax.  He just wears his fleece lined coat when we go out, and our outings have gotten much shorter these days (10 - 15 minutes tops). He seems fine that way.  He only tolerates the jacket.  he hates to wear anything else. Luckily he is small enough that we can still play in the house without destroying anything.

BreedTrust - Jax also doesn't fit a standard size and we went through five or six coats before settling on his current one.  It is a cape style that also latches under his belly.  I got it to fit his shoulders and length.  The strap under the belly is too big, but overall the coat seems to do the job.

As for his paws, I also wipe them down with a warm cloth, or even fill the sink with about an inch or so of water and dunk him in with all fours (again, yay for having a small dog).  He likes to play in the snowbanks and will usualy walk in/on them so I think he avoids a lot of the salt. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Nov- That's what I do with Max- right in the sink!

As for the trouble with dogs with a deep chest- the best coat I ever got for Max is now on its last legs, but I'll be buying one soon- it's by Gooby:
    http://gbfsn.com/cart/

it has a sweater bottom and sleeves, so it strecthes nicely around the chest. The back is a quilted nylon that's fleece lined. It zips up quickly and even has loops so you don't have to fool around with a collar or harness. I even sewed up the zipper so that it just slips on and off, but it's just the best and Max tolerates it better than any other coat I've ever got for him. Worth every penny. You can see what the underneath looks like in the picture I posted to the xmas pics thread.

Gooby also makes a similar coat for mediuma nd large breed dogs, it's the same except that it doen't have the harness rings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sometimes I use the sprayer to "powerwash" his feet if I haven't let it fill enough, but usually I put the faucet on cold and he catches a drink while I wash his feet.  I just started doing it this winter, but i works so great I will do it for the muddy paws in the spring and the pollen paws in the summer, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We have a waterproof fleece lined jacket for Molly that covers her bald little belly.  Scout won't wear anything, but has a thick coat.  We keep them on short walks and park visits. 
    Molly's paws started having trouble from the snow/cold so i picked up some musher's secret.  It worked great for both of them, but Scout liked it too much & licked the tub clean while I wasn't looking.  It is food grade, but it was a rough day/night afterwards for him!  (no picnic for me or the washing machine either!) 
    Our next tub will be kept far out of reach!  PS - much cheaper on Amazon than at the local stores!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

My baby loves purple and she loves being in the snow, so we try to keep her as warm as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Well, Bosco loves his jacket (it's red, not pink like it looks in the picture) - sorry for the photo as he's eating his dinner, but it's about the only time he stays in one place long enough to take a picture! We're still negotiating the booties - he is definitely not a fan, but I haven't given up yet. They're too cute not to show off in addition, of course, to their practical purpose. I do have the most stubborn dog in North America, however, so stay tuned for this one!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All adorable photos!

BreedTrust, here's a site for custom-made dog coats, and, in fact, they show a Whippet in one.  They are not cheap, and I haven't tried them myself, but fwiw, here it is:  Custom Sized Dog Coats

Again, for people just washing paws, that only takes care of the potential salt problem, not the cold, drying effect of the snow itself.  Keep an eye out for cracking on the pads before they become deep gashes if you walk your dog in the snow.

BreedTrust, if you are using Musher's Secret with success, you'll not need Bag Balm.  The BB is to correct a problem with painful, cracked pads.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Bella loves being outside, and if her lips could turn blue, she would stay out there until they were.  She has her coat, but we dont use the booties.  We have a dry beach towel by the back door and she immediatly gets wrapped in it until she stops shivering and we can warm up her paws.  We purposely don't use and salt or sand on the back deck so that it wont bother her feet, but we always make sure that she is dry and warm when she comes in.  It is a nice snuggle time too!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Love the pics of Bella, Bosco and Gracie.  I hope Bosco learns to love the booties - they are so cute!  Thanks for the coat links.  The custom coats that Kargiver mentioned look a lot like the ones I get from Toastie Coats and Paws http://toastiecoats.tripod.com/.  She makes them for greyhounds, whippets and italian greyhounds.  They are well made and last forever.  I've bought several over the years and would recommend them to anyone with one of these breeds. The only downside is that they don't cover the dog's underside which would be a nice feature to have on really cold days.  

The zip-top bomber jackets that pinkkittie recommended sound like a possible option to try since the insulate their underside and especially since their website says they make big dog versions.  Even though Cody is a whippet, he is big-boned and weighs a whopping 50 lbs which is almost unheard of for his breed.  People usually think he is a greyhound puppy because of his odd size.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Bethany, I have a Shih Tzu : ) But she hates being out in the cold.  Your picture makes me want to go home.  Beautiful dog.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jl36637. Show jl36637's posts

Debbie,

K9 Voyager make breed-specific clothing for close to 20 breeds.  Wippets, greyhounds, Dobermans, etc.  My Doberman loves his Tummy Warmer fleece jacket.

http://www.k9apparel.com/

Janine

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Janine - thanks for the link!  My BT mix is hard to fit for a winter coat - I think I'll try thier BT line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just learned about a supplement that sled dogs take to toughen their pads:  Nutrazinc (Zinc Gluconate) distributed by Howling Dog Alaska.  I was told to expect it to take 2 weeks to help heal her cracks (she had some around the edges even with regular use of the Musher's Secret), BUT, within a week they were noticably smoother with an obvious reduction in cracks after using the "problem" amount of the supplement.  After they are totally healed, we'll cut back to the maintenance amount.

Sled dogs also wear booties, as DH discovered a couple of weekends ago when they were passed by two sleds on the Rail Trail.  We got some of those (not the heavy hikers that Gracie hates), but she lost two on her first run.  I don't think DH put them on tightly enough.  They aren't expensive, though, and I bought 8 to begin with.  I wish I could sew; they look super easy to make...if one could use a sewing machine.

Oh, and Baxter Boo doesn't sell zinc or sled dog booties, but they do have winter clothes and other gear and they are having a 25% off sale on that stuff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Love the fleece tummy warmer coats for specific breeds on the K9 apparel posted by Janine.  Thanks!  I'm going to order one for Cody to wear under his regular coat on really cold days (hopefully there won't be many more of them!).  I'm also going to pass it on to the family of his dobie friend.  She is a bigger baby than Cody in the cold weather and they can never find a good solution to warm her tummy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hsiu-lan. Show hsiu-lan's posts

In Response to Dressing Dogs for Cold and Frostbite Protection:
    [QUOTE]How are you protecting your dog from the subzero temps?  A Brigham ER doc recommended dogs wear booties and limit walks to 5 minutes in a  Boston Globe article .  As a result, I pulled out the muttluks this morn.  Cody was dressed in a wool sweater layered with two fleece coats, his muttluks dog boots on his feet and my scarf wrapped around his long whippet neck.  What about you?  Would love to see some pics and get more ideas/suggestions.  It sounds like we're in store for a "ruff" week!
    Posted by BreedTrust[/QUOTE]