1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Durable dog toys

Has anyone found a super durable puppy chew toy that they can share? My 10 month old 32 lbs. black lab/Italian greyhound mix has an incredibly strong jaw and seems to destroy every toy we give her in a matter of minutes. She chewed through a Nylabone last night, which I was sure would be tough enough, but alas it wasn't. She's had the "toughest plush toys" to be found in the pet stores and the stuffing ends up all over the place within an hour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Durable dog toys

Our stuffed toys also become stuffingless in a matter of minutes.  Happily, she doesn't eat the stuffing, but I digress.  We just pull the rest of the stuffing out and she plays with the shell without destroying it for quite a while.  I only get rid of them when they are completely shredded.  Here's her hedge hog, for instance, or what's left of it.  The stuffing was gone a long time ago, but I anticipate the "skin" to last a few more months. (And, yes, that is a mural blanket of Gracie in the background.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, as far as actual chew toys go, nothing is indestructable that I've ever found.  But, Gracie plays with her fabric ones.  We buy stuffingless ones, now.  I cut the sqeakers out because she cries when they squeak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I think the mural is great! Stella is our baby as well, and she is treated like a princess in our house, despite the protest from my fiance. We're slowly getting more pictures of her up in the house.

I find, too, that Stella will rip things apart and not enjoy eating them, but sometimes a few pieces here and there will find their way down her throat. Working in medicine myself, all I can think of is SBO. I'll try the stuffingless toys and see how it goes. As far as bully sticks and that sort, what's the "recommended limit" to how many a puppy should have in a week you think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I recommend the blanket company:  The Memory Place

Most of the edible treats have feeding guidelines, just look at the package for your dog's weight.

But, speaking of bowel obstructions, raw hides are dangerous that way.  And, they are salty.  Gracie would drink a ton of water after polishing off a raw hide.  I stopped giving those to her a year ago.  It's too bad; they kept her busy for a long time.

Now, I give her frozen marrow bones, no more than one a day.  Freezing kills the parasites so you can feed them raw.  Price chopper sells them, but I think any butcher would be able to sell them to you if you ask ahead of time.

And, remember to count calories with the edible treats, too.  Marrow is fattening.  I'd love to have her chewing on 'em all day, but she'd be a humongous Flabrador. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Stella does drink a lot of water, maybe we're giving her too many in a week's time. I'll try the frozen marrow bones, thanks for the idea!

Maybe the marrow would be good for Stell...since she has some greyhound in her, she's so active and she's so skinny!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I just thought dogs drank a lot.  She was actually waking up thirsty and emptying her crate water dish at about 10 pm every night, 2 hours after she went to bed (and was sound asleep).  We had been giving her a raw hide every night to keep her occupied while we ate dinner.  Since we stopped the raw hides, she's stopped waking up to have a drink.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Sounds like us, we give her rawhide while we eat, and she too was waking up in the middle of the night (and waking us up to let us know she had no more water at 1:30 in the morning!) to drink and then subsequently has to be let out.

Rawhide no more...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kinga- I would not give your dog Nylabones any more. We had to stop giving them to our Golden because she would break chunks off of them. They are a HUGE choking hazard if a dog can break pieces off, and dogs have died from them. 

We have this dog toy.  It's called Tuff poly the pig, they have them at petco/petsmart. It's like 5 layers thick or something, it's pretty tough. It's not indistructable as the marketing leads you to believe but it is SO much better than any other toy that we have had at holding up. It's still a full pig and we've had it for 2 years now!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Was the nylabone a "puppy" one?  Our strong chewer destroyed one of those as well, but he's done fine with the regular one. Come to think of it, it might be a "dura" as I think nylas are rated by chew strength.  For other chews we also give him marrow bones and deer or moose antlers.  He bats them around the house between chews so I consider them toys as well.

Nothing plush lasts in my house, and like Kar, I have a few empty skins that he plays with.  Braided rope toys also seem to last, and most suprisingly, these little cheapies last quite a while... (sorry, I can't creat a link for some reason) 

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3563876&lmdn=Price.

They sell them in a ball + bone combo (little bigger size) at almost every holiday, so I pick them up off the 75% off rack a couple of weeks later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharon-g19. Show sharon-g19's posts

I have had great luck with this toy http://www.dogtoys.com/whirlwheel2.html
    Freddie is a soon-to-be 11 year old, 60lb black lab mix that tears apart everything! It will be two years in April since I brought him home and he has only gone through 2 of these toys - we are on #3 right now. The ball in the middle does make a noise when squeezed but not like the stuffed squeakers. This is his absolute favorite toy and he greets everyone at the door with it in his mouth so it does take a beating. I also had luck with the Kong Wubba. He doesn't really enjoy it as much as the whirl wheel but it's not bad in a pinch. Another option is the ruffian line -this one in particular becasue there are no dangling parts  http://www.dogtoys.com/ruffiansdogtoy5.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Durable dog toys:
    Sounds like us, we give her rawhide while we eat, and she too was waking up in the middle of the night (and waking us up to let us know she had no more water at 1:30 in the morning!) to drink and then subsequently has to be let out. Rawhide no more...
    Posted by kinga9

You'll see an improvement in that behavior, I think. Gracie hardly ever drinks her crate water anymroe now that we are super conscious of her salt intake.  I just didn't know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do all the Building 19s have them?  My nearest one is Shewsbury - where is yours?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Great suggestions everyone, can't thank you enough! I'm heading out tonight to get her something. I feel terrible because so far the only that lasts more than a few days that isn't a raw hide has been tennis balls, but within three days, the neon green thread is everywhere and the ball is chewed to bits!

Novembride, it was one of those Nylabone combo's that looks like a bowtie and had string wrapped around it. I heard a loud crack and boom, broken in half and chewed to bits. We tried the braided toys and she unbraids them and chews the braid into a million pieces. I've vacuumed more in the past four months than I have my whole life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Careful of those tennis balls.  Gracie developed an allergic reaction to the stuff under the green fuzz.  She had to be taken to the vet with horrible hives that lasted about 2 weeks even with a shot of Benedryl at the doc's and continuous dosing at home with the pills.

I just picked up some marrow bones at Big Y today.  So, I know they and Price Chopper sell them.

I vacuum every other day, now, too - that's just a side effect of dog ownership!  And, i happen to think Gracie is fairly clean for a dog.  And, don't get me started on all the dusting.

Cooked bones break into shards farily easily.  Raw ones not so much, but do keep an eye on those, too.  Gracie does break them, and then they are trash.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

has anyone tried this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3732918&lmdn=Dog+Toys ? they come in a selection of sizes and LOOK like they ought to hold up reasonably well.....I've got a mastiff puppy arriving in just over a week and am attempting to pickup appropriate chews!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I just ordered Polly the Pig...it's getting here tomorrow. I'll see how it goes!

Kar-good to know about the allergic reaction. We just noticed a she has oral viral papillimatosis, so I don't think she needs any more skin disorders right now! Where is there a Big Y or Price Chopper? I've looked for a butcher in my area, for our own human reasons, but can't seem to find one.

Ruthcatrin-CONGRATS on the new addition! That's very exciting! Be sure to post some pictures!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Ruthcatrin-CONGRATS on the new addition! That's very exciting! Be sure to post some pictures!
    Posted by kinga9

Don't worry, I intend to show off pictures everywhere lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ruth, yes, we've tried these toys, and they are fairly durable, but Gracie ate the end off her stick shaped one the day we got it, releasing the rope part of the toy.  Then, the inner plastic tube was out shortly after.  But, most of the black shell is still viable.  I leave it outside so she doesn't gnaw on it all day.  I'm blessed to have a lab that only tends to swallow edible things.

Kinga, I don't know where you live so I can't help you find a Big Y or Price Chopper near you, but they do have store locators on their websites.  I'm 70 miles northwest of Boston so I bet you won't frequent "mine," lol.  Also, you can go to your favorite market and ask if the carry them or, if not, they'll hold some for you.  Good buthchers are hard to find.  There's a good one in Everette, but I can't remember the name...McKinnon's, that's it.  (What did we do before Google?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Kinga - I think this is hit or miss with individual pups to find out what works for them. I'm still looking for Bosco and I've tried everyone's suggestions - there's an over/under line of about 10 minutes on most of these toys with him and nothing's lasted longer than an hour. A friend have him one of the woven string balls that was bigger than my head and he had it dismantled in threads all over the house in an hour. Anything fabric (stuffed or not) lasts less than five minutes before it's shredded.

I do give him the rawhide chews, but I never leave him alone with them - I keep a tight eye on him while he's chewing. He does drink a lot of water, but it's not any heavier after he eats a chewie, so that might be individual to dogs, too. So far the tennis balls have lasted the longest - real tennis balls for some reason last longer for him than the ones at pet stores. He does take the fabric cover off, but unlike Gracie, he's never had an allergic reaction. As I've mentioned before, he does love his hockey pucks, but those can pebble off as well so it's another toy I only let him play with under supervision.

The best 'toy' for Bosco is exercise and play-time with other dogs to burn off some of his energy. He seems to look for more chewies at this time of year since he gets shorter, but more frequent, walks with the extreme cold and hasn't had his usual playtime with his pals. Have you noticed any correlation to amount of her exercise with her want/need to chew?

If this is, by any chance, Bosco's friend Stella-bella, I know you give her a lot of exercise. If you think play time would help, maybe we can arrange a playdate?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, BP!

Exercise is definitely the best deterrant to chewing, especially chewing of things that get more attention - anything but her toys.

But, so is age.  Unfortunately, you can't do anything about the second one, but Gracie is approaching her 2nd birthday, and she's much more content to sit in front of the fire and gaze out the backyard, keeping an eye on the place (protecting us from fox and turkeys) than she was when she was little.  And, Labs are known to be "chewer" breeds, too.  So, take heart, she might grow out of some of this constant need to have something in her mouth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Thanks, Kar - you always give me the best advice. Bosco turns 2 on Apr. 2nd but he doesn't seem to be losing the chewing urge yet. He does have a friend named Stella in the neightborhood who is a black lab/grayhound mix so I wondered if Kinga's Stella was the same pup. They do enjoy playing when they run into each other on walks. Bosco's groomers run an indoor playgroup on Friday nights that have been a lifesaver in the winter months in giving him a solid hour of exercise. The warmer weather these last few days have let me resume his longer walks as well. I'm sure we're all holding our breaths for Spring!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie still loves to chew, don't get me wrong, but the only difference now is that she'll be content (not necessarily thrilled) to not chew if she doesn't have anything that she's allowed to have.  When she was little, she'd be constantly on the hunt for something (good or bad) to chew...if not a toy, a sock, shoe, dish towel, whatever she could get her mouth on.

I wish we lived closer so Bosco and Gracie could play!!  The 4 of us would have a ball.

Gracie just left with her Daddy who cross country skis with her every weekend it's possible (snow wise).  They go about 4 or 5 miles both days.  They used to go further, but it was hurting her hips to go that far in the snow.  She doesn't have skis, after all!  But, she did just don her sled dog booties we got this week after DH saw a sled dog pack wearing them.  We also started her on the oral zinc supplement they use to toughen their pads; it seems to be working already (her cracks are healing well), although, the woman said to give it two weeks before we expect results.  So, she gets short walks during the week along with fetch games and long woodsy walks on the weekends.  She's a lean, mean, exercised machine!  And, like you said, BP, that definitely contributes a lot to her overall contentment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

cool thank you!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Kinga- I would not give your dog Nylabones any more. We had to stop giving them to our Golden because she would break chunks off of them. They are a HUGE choking hazard if a dog can break pieces off, and dogs have died from them.  We have this dog toy.  It's called Tuff poly the pig, they have them at petco/petsmart. It's like 5 layers thick or something, it's pretty tough. It's not indistructable as the marketing leads you to believe but it is SO much better than any other toy that we have had at holding up. It's still a full pig and we've had it for 2 years now!!
    Posted by ajuly09

12 hours after I ordered Polly the Pig, it was delivered (thanks Amazon!) and Stella is obsessed. She managed to chew the tail off almost immediately, but so far the rest of it is standing up to her little teeth! Thank you for the suggestion!

Sections
Shortcuts