1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Re: Durable dog toys

In Response to Re: Durable dog toys:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Kar - you always give me the best advice. Bosco turns 2 on Apr. 2nd but he doesn't seem to be losing the chewing urge yet. He does have a friend named Stella in the neightborhood who is a black lab/grayhound mix so I wondered if Kinga's Stella was the same pup. They do enjoy playing when they run into each other on walks. Bosco's groomers run an indoor playgroup on Friday nights that have been a lifesaver in the winter months in giving him a solid hour of exercise. The warmer weather these last few days have let me resume his longer walks as well. I'm sure we're all holding our breaths for Spring!
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]
    hey!!! Yes, this is the same Stella-bella ;-) I know, she misses running into Bosco, we should plan a play date soon! I can't wait for this stupid snow to melt so we can walk her longer and more often. I tried taking her for a run on Saturday but there's so much trash on the sidewalks being undercovered with the melting snow that she gets so distracted and our run was a 2 hour walk-stop-chew-run adventure.

Hopefully we run into you soon!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Durable dog toys : 12 hours after I ordered Polly the Pig, it was delivered (thanks Amazon!) and Stella is obsessed. She managed to chew the tail off almost immediately, but so far the rest of it is standing up to her little teeth! Thank you for the suggestion!
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]
    Can't believe I'm writing this, but alas the stuffing has come out :-( She ripped the tail off, and then ate through the seam and four layers and now the stuffing is coming out.

I'm so confused, she has such a little mouth! ha!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

[QUOTE]has anyone tried this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3732918&lmdn=Dog+Toys ? they come in a selection of sizes and LOOK like they ought to hold up reasonably well.....I've got a mastiff puppy arriving in just over a week and am attempting to pickup appropriate chews!
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

My dog has one of these as one of his crate toys.  He doesn't really chew it though so much as pick it up adn move it from place to place.  I think he likes the "thud" it makes when he drops it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, as Kar says, age makes a difference. Max used to gut all his stuffed toys, but now he's either 1) just content to play with them without destroying them or 2) figured out that if he guts them, I throw them out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Durable dog toys : Can't believe I'm writing this, but alas the stuffing has come out :-( She ripped the tail off, and then ate through the seam and four layers and now the stuffing is coming out. I'm so confused, she has such a little mouth! ha!
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]

little mouths have very sharp teeth! Max was 5lbs. when he was 6 months old and he went through stuffed toys like you wouldn't believe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

My dog is a very strong chewer.  We have had great luck with the Nylabone "for Powerful Chewers" (it says that right on the package).  I know one post says not to give them to your dog, but honestly, this is one chew toy my dog cannot get through, and of course I always monitor him when he's chewing on any toy, just in case.  Also, we've had great luck with the black Kong.  We put his treats in there..and you can put peanut butter in it too..keeps them busy for a while!  He cannot put a dent in that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbygee99. Show bobbygee99's posts

I have run rescue and there have been some extremely nervous dogs, so they tended to chew a whole lot.  Exercise is obviously the best solution, but most young dogs need to chew since this is part of their natural instinct.  I have an Aussie Shep who can be running all day and still have energy in reserve.

When it comes to chew toys it is usually best to go back to basics.  There are Kongs which come in many sizes and are easily made to appeal to a chewing dog.  All you need to do is put a little peanut butter or cheese whiz into the middle and the pup will be fascinated.  Since it is rubber teeth can penetrate it without tearing it to shreds.  Look at the following link: http://www.petco.com/product/2324/KONG-Dog-Toy.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList__2-_-KONG%20Dog%20Toy-2324

Next idea is for toys made from tire rubber which is galvinized, thus strong enough to handle just about anything.  These can be found at: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811710&lmdn=Dog+Toys

Pretty much anything in these hard rubber materials will hold up to heavy chewing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Our beagles both have toy issues.  Molly is the destroyer... she will pull apart anything, holding it between her paws & pulling until it is in pieces.  She likes the string toys since she'll unravel it all, but still play with the very attractive mass of strings.  Also, Kong for tough chewers and nylabones (the white ones).
    Scout has an oral fetish & needs to constantly have a ball or something in his mouth to chew/crush.  He would crack a tennis ball in half in 5 minutes, then Molly would peel all the fuzz off.  They are a great team!
    We found the Chuck-it! Recycled ball lasts with him (seriously, a tennis ball=5 minutes, this thing=16 months!)  The one he has is Recycled Remy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Kar - THANK YOU for posting about the salt in rawhides! 
    Scout developed a "drinking problem" last year where he would drain his bowl repeatedly & then constantly need to go out.  The vet ran all sorts of tests & came up with nothing. 
    I think we'll curb the rawhides & monitor snacks for a while and see if that helps!
    I'll mention this to the vet too... great tip!!  I need to come back here more often :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RemingtonB. Show RemingtonB's posts

I have a puggle who loves to rip toys... there are a couple of companies I find to be very durable but they are expensive (around $20 per toy)... the company is called Go... Pawsh in Back Bay sells them, you can get some online and Petsmart sells some too... also, tough toys are good... they are plush toys but there isn't any stuffing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from onyon13. Show onyon13's posts

Hi everyone - we have this problem with both of our lab mixes. Any toy with stuffing is somehow opened within minutes. The Kong toy is very durable and can be filled with treats and/or peanut butter to keep your dog's attention and brain working for a little while. Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessicamay. Show jessicamay's posts

[QUOTE]has anyone tried this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3732918&lmdn=Dog+Toys ? they come in a selection of sizes and LOOK like they ought to hold up reasonably well.....I've got a mastiff puppy arriving in just over a week and am attempting to pickup appropriate chews!
    Posted by ruthcatrin[/QUOTE]

I have a bullmastiff who just turned 4 - he took no interest in the Tire Toy - i tried and ended up giving it to my brother's Boxer.  The Tuffie's are the best out their for your serious chewer - they rank the toughness from 1-10.  He has yet to go thru a single one and some he has had for 4 years now.  Good luck with your pup and remember - DROOL RAGS ARE A MUST!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwitkus. Show mwitkus's posts

In Response to Durable dog toys:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone found a super durable puppy chew toy that they can share? My 10 month old 32 lbs. black lab/Italian greyhound mix has an incredibly strong jaw and seems to destroy every toy we give her in a matter of minutes. She chewed through a Nylabone last night, which I was sure would be tough enough, but alas it wasn't. She's had the "toughest plush toys" to be found in the pet stores and the stuffing ends up all over the place within an hour. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]

We found Kong brand toys to be the most durable for our Akita puppy.  We also liked "potato" and "carrot" bones which were 100% edible. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tibird, good to see you!  And, you're so welcome for the raw hide tip; I'm surprised your vet didn't think of asking.  It's scary from a potential bowel obstruction perspective, too, and that's why I originally removed them from our chewing repertoire.  I'm glad for so many reasons we did.  I would recommend that no one ever feed raw hide no matter how entertained it keeps a mischeivous pup.

Kong is great, but the red ones are softer than the black.  Gracie finally wore a red one out, and I replaced it with a black "tough chewer" one.  She hasn't had it long enough to compare them, and actually, I can't, anyway, because she found the red one in the woods; I have no idea how old it was or who chewed it before her.  For Kong, the key is to put treats in there that are odd shapes and that don't fit easily through the large hole.  I especially like to put a couple of cooked chicken gizzards in the standard sized Kong.  Keeps her busy a LONG time for not a lot of calories.

Tuffies are good, I agree.  And, Ruff Dog toys last a few months with daily tug-o-war play. Here's a photo of Gracie with the puzzle piece shaped toy (from last winter when she wasn't full grown but plenty strong) on the far right of their website photo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Durable dog toys : I have a bullmastiff who just turned 4 - he took no interest in the Tire Toy - i tried and ended up giving it to my brother's Boxer.  The Tuffie's are the best out their for your serious chewer - they rank the toughness from 1-10.  He has yet to go thru a single one and some he has had for 4 years now.  Good luck with your pup and remember - DROOL RAGS ARE A MUST!
    Posted by jessicamay[/QUOTE]

We're actually getting a Tibetan Mastiff and (supposedly) they're considered a "dry mouth" breed, less likely to drool anyway.

I went ahead and picked up one of the smaller Tires, we'll see, also pickedup  some Nyla bones and similer so hopefully there'll be something that'll keep him occupied.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

After Polly the Pig was laid to rest, I went and bought a #10 Mega Tuff Square from the same company. Hopefully it lasts a little bit longer than Polly.

We have the puppy kong, which needs to be upgraded since she's eaten that one recently too. I'll try out the black one and see how it goes! She still has one little tooth that needs to come out, so maybe her chewing will curb a bit after that...who knows!

Sections
Shortcuts