1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Ear Cleaning

Kar - My little guy has lab-like ears. I feel so bad for him, he's been itching them like crazy! 
    Was Gracie's infection a yeast ear infection?  Did she need antibiotics?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

He has his first (and hopefully last) ear infection right now, so I want something that will really work going forward.  DH took him to the vet this AM, so I'm not sure what they gave him yet. 

I haven't used drops/a solution yet, just a wipe, so hopefully he won't mind it too much - break out the extra-special treats, I suppose!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, you'll have to essentially pour in whatever they sell at the vet's.  :(  At first, it really helps to have someone hold the dog and someone else do the drops so you can use one hand to extend the ear and expose the entrance to the ear canal by stretching it out a bit and the other to pour in the solution.  I can do it myself, now, but only because Gracie tolerates it to the point where she essentially stands still while I straddle her back and hold her ear.  Practice makes it a lot easier.  Don't let it go less often than the 3 times a week, though.  I did, and I think she might actually have an infection, now.  I'm hoping cleaning twice a day will clear it up...much to her chagrin.  If she's still shaking her head and pawing at it Monday we'll have to go to the vet.  Oh, and I have to grab her before I get the cleaner or she bolts into her crate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ear Cleaning

I am looking for recommendations for ear cleaning products - both home/natural and/or store bought products.  Any tips to make the process go smoothly are appreciated as well.

Additional info, I's call my puppy's ears "semi-floppy" - not like a basset hound, but folded over.  Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I like ear wipes the best. They're virtually mess-free.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't use those, though, because I have to drip quite a bit of cleaning solution down into her ear canal.  :(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Nov!

We have a lab, and ear infection is a major concern.  I have to clean her ears 3 times a week or she gets one.  What has made it go more smoothly is simply her just getting used to it and tolerating it.  She HATES it, though. 

I use what the vet sold us after she got an ear infection while I was using something from Walmart.  It's called Epi-Otic.  I liberally squirt it down into her inner ear and massage from the outside, close to her head (it sounds squishy).  Then, I take my finger and gently clean in the folds of her outer ear right up to the ear canal.  To dry as much as I can, I take a cotton makeup remover pad (dry, of course) and wipe as far down as I can go (I cannot and do not try to get inside the canal) and into all the folds as best I can.  Brown gunk comes out no matter how often I do it.  I just tried to pick up some more, and the vet was out.  They sold me "VET Solutions Ear Cleaning Solution" instead.

Good luck!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

My dog gets terrible ear infections, the poor baby.  If you suspect your dog has an ear infection, do not wait too long because they are incredibly painful for them and can get pretty knarly pretty fast..

Lucy loathes drops in her ears so the vet actually puts a "plug" in her ear.  It is vaseline/gel consistency antibiotic treatment that slowly dissolves over two weeks.  So much easier than wrestling the 80lb rottweiler twice a day to put drops in!

Regular ear cleaning does make a difference.  We had the vet give us a non-alchohol non-stinging cleaner, so the pup will tolerate it more as it doesn't hurt so much on any raw spots.  Our routine is similar to what kar described.

Also, my vet told us that diet can play a part in recurrent ear infections and to avoid excess carbohydrates in her food and treats.  If the ear infections become recurrent she also recommended an oral antibiotic as well as the plug.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In Response to Re: Ear Cleaning:
    [QUOTE]How's your dog's ear, Nov?  Gracie is still suffering and afraid I'm going to ambush her with ear treatment so she runs away from me all the time...sigh.  I hope she really doesn't think I want to hurt her.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

He's doing better, thanks.  We still have a few days of putting the drops in, but he's getting better about it - still wiggles, but no more squealing (probably b/c the little cuts he gave himself scratching have healed up).  I inspected the ears last night and they're looking good!  =)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Also, my vet told us that diet can play a part in recurrent ear infections and to avoid excess carbohydrates in her food and treats. 
    Posted by sunshinemrs[/QUOTE]

This is true, and allergies can also lead to ear infections.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ear Cleaning : This is true, and allergies can also lead to ear infections.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Great to know!  We have been adding more veggies to his diet (carrots, peas, squash), so possible allergy? And he does get milkbone treats - carbs?  Maybe I will cut back to basic kibble and protein treats until this passes, then slowly re-intorduce the veggies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie didn't take pills.  She actually got sick from the ear drop antibiotics.  Strange, but true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

aw, my mom's corgi would drool like that during thunderstorms. :(
    Poor Gracie! if only they understood that it's worth the discomfort!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, moisture is a huge problem.  Gracie jumps in every water source she sees.  I think we have to start dripping some cleaner in there every time she gets her head soaked because it's also a drying agent.  She fears me, now, and I've been sobbing out in the rain calling her (I'm soaked) - she bolted when I tried to trick her into thinking I was letting her out.  Joke was on me, and she was GONE.  She finally came to the cow bell, and I was afraid to ruin her trust completely and so I gave her copious amounts of liver, toweled her off and let her go back in her crate (I had shut her out earlier).  So, she's in there, now, and I still haven't gotten her morning ear drops in. What a crappy day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie's got one, too.  I had to get Otomax (the drops) Saturday.  She's cowering in her crate right now to get out of it...has been since 7:30.

Darn these floppy ears!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How's your dog's ear, Nov?  Gracie is still suffering and afraid I'm going to ambush her with ear treatment so she runs away from me all the time...sigh.  I hope she really doesn't think I want to hurt her.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ear infections themselves cause pain (you can use it as a diagnostic tool when you do your regular cleanings) so they yelp or cry when you pull their ears until it's cleared up.  So, that's great news he's stopped.

Pinkkie, that's so sad about her corgi and the storms.  I didn't know they drool when they're stressed.  Poor things.  Wouldn't it be great if you could converse with them?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- maybe put something yummy on the bottle, like peanut butter, and just let her lick the bottle a couple times a day, just until she's not afraid of it anymore?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

[QUOTE]Max got an ear infection once, it was a yeast and he gave himself a hematoma from scratching it so much. He didn't have to take any pills, I had to put a perscription ointment in his ears twice a day, and I got ear cleaning solution from the vet and had to use that twice a day before the ointment. I still have the bottle, but I only use it once a month. Otherwise, I just use wipes.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Thanks pinkkittie - I was worried about having to have him take pills, although I don't know why, he seems to eat anything! Just general concern I guess.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max got an ear infection once, it was a yeast and he gave himself a hematoma from scratching it so much. He didn't have to take any pills, I had to put a perscription ointment in his ears twice a day, and I got ear cleaning solution from the vet and had to use that twice a day before the ointment.
    I still have the bottle, but I only use it once a month. Otherwise, I just use wipes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't remember if it was yeast (it was last July), but it really smelled bad so probably.  Yes, she needed antibiotics, but I'm trying to avoid them this time because the antibiotic drops gave her explosive diarrhea.  It sounds nuts, and the doc said it wasn't the cause, but I found online that about 1% of dogs react that way to those drops.  Gracie is very sensitive about other things, too.  Rimadyl gave her diarrhea (pain med when she got spayed) even though I gave it to her with food exactly according to the directions.  Heart Guard made her sick, too.  We had to try another one that, thankfully, works without making her sick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Aww, poor Gracie! She is so sensitive (I've followed her food allergies, too).  Who'd have thought ear drops could cause that kind of reaction?!  Hope we're not in for that kind of night!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The floppy ears are soooo cute though!  He's only 4 months, so I am blaming the ears.  I had him groomed for the first time last week, so maybe his ears didn't dry all the way? (No blame, just trying to figure out possible cuases)  I try to stay away from his ears when I bathe him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

DH doesn't know how much it really costs to have control of the clicker. ;)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Too funny!! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooh, thanks, Pinkkie!!

Sections
Shortcuts